2JZ fan in 1JZ

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Hey,

Allow me to start by saying I *HAD* electric fans in my car. I hated it, they were wired to a switch that triggered them on full blast all the time. Car would almost overheat anytime I drove it, I would pull over and pop the hood and the temps would drop. I was sick of this, so I looked at my options. First and foremost, I thought bigger electric, but then realized I'll kill my alt if I have them full blast all the time. Then was the hydro. My car didn't have any wires run for it, so I didn't wanna dive headfirst into that. Then I thought 2jz fan/clutch assembly. I had heard that you would have to modify the FMIC piping to get it to fit, whcih didn't bother me too much surprisingly. So I picked up the clutch and fan, and dove into it. My car already had the 2jz waterpump so I was ahead of the game. To get it on, I needed to pull my radiator. This is an absolute given, I have no idea how else you would do it. That was simple, then it bolted right up, and I didn't have to touch my FMIC piping. This probably has to do with the fact that I'm single, not on stock twins. On the twins I could definitely see having to mod it. Bolted it all up, fired it up, and it worked. Sweet, now the moment of truth, the test drive. My gauge started to climb up as the car got to operating temp. Then to my amazement, it stopped at about 160. WTF? Drove around a little more in low speed traffic, temps DROPPED FURTHER. Wow, this is working great. Took out the car later with my friend (didn't feel like boosting hard, but he wanted to cruise I guess), did multiple 3rd gear pulls winding out the gear, temp got to about 170, TOPS. Granted it was cool today, but it's already showing signs of promise. Oh, and this was all WITHOUT a fan shroud, as I'm still looking for options. All in all, I think that this is a great option for those without the hydro fan, and don't want electric. I never used the hydro, so I can't comment on how this compares to it. Thanks for reading my drawn out post.

-J

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
This is great information for anyone that wants to go this route. Kudos to you for experimenting to find another 1J/2J compatible setup, and thanks for the contribution.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Thanks! I had wanted to do it for a while, but couldn't find any concrete evidence that it DID, in fact, work. I had heard that it fit, but compared to the hydro, which seemed like the only thing that could keep this engine cool, it seemed as though it was uncharted waters.

-J

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
jbsupra89t said:
Thanks! I had wanted to do it for a while, but couldn't find any concrete evidence that it DID, in fact, work. I had heard that it fit, but compared to the hydro, which seemed like the only thing that could keep this engine cool, it seemed as though it was uncharted waters.

-J

Told ya you'd be happy! :drink1:

Anytime I've mentioned this setup, debates would start about why electric was better, or hydro, etc...

Since it's used in the MKIV, I'm sure there are likely to be some flow numbers for it somewhere. I wanna see some pics jbsupra89t!!!! Especially where the hardpipes are near and how that Koyo fits/looks...

Mark2JZ

ahhhh!!!
Apr 2, 2005
Oxnard, CA
jbsupra89t said:
This probably has to do with the fact that I'm single

you're single? :momaru:

Good write-up and description Jacob, guess electric isn't always the way to go. BTW excellent grammar.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
where does your hardpipe off the turbo go.does it go into the fender or take same path of the twin set up.i had a problem with my car heating up the other day.i have been running the flex a lite twin fan set up with a 180 deg fan switch that goes throught the radiator.i never had a problem before,but its nice if there is another solution.i also heard you can use the 7m fan shroud,but thats also got the spot for the little electric fans.if that set up works i could probably wire the little electric fans for additional cooling.keep us posted on the fan shroud set up.
thanks for the info keith

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
My hardpipe comes off the turbo, down and under the radiator and support. It "kinda" follows the route of the stock piping, in that it mates to the FMIC the same way, if that's what you're asking. I had the same problems as you heating up, so I sympathize ;) The helper fans I might eventually put in, but as it stands the koyo sits so close to the driver's side FMIC pipe, I might just mock up something for a shroud and leave it with the single fan. It's FAR surpassing my expectations as it stands, plus I don't have A/C so the extra fans would be just a small bonus. Sorry folks, I'll get pics soon, they should answer anything else.

-J

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
good results! i was also thinking about going with this setup. But, my car came with twin FALs and the previous owner says it has a NEW waterpump. So, my question is ...could the waterpump be from a 2jz? any way of telling? Also, do you have to use the 2jz waterpump in order to go electric? is your entire setup from the 2jz-GTE?

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
AFAIK, you can't use the 1jz waterpump without the hydro fan. Reason being, the WP drives the hydro, so without the hydro fan, the pump will burn itself out. At least that's what I understand? So yes I'd say the WP is from a 2jz. And yes, my entire setup is from the GTE :)

-J

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
I just found out from the previous owner that it is a 2jz waterpump. So all i need now is the clutch and fan and im all good for the setup? thanks for the info by the way!

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
You should, that's ALL I picked up. The clutch and fan assembly came as one, I pulled my radiator, installed the unit, tightened it up, put the rad on, and fired it up. Worked great and I highly recommend it :) Here is how close it will end up sitting (hence remove the radiator)

p15904_1.jpg

-J

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have a guy that I was going to buy the fan from, who still has it (for ~$50)... does anyone want a 2JZ-GTE fan/clutch? This is a good price... PM me with your info and I'll forward to him and get ya'll hooked up. Like JB says.... it's the way to go...

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Ah yes good call Elvis, I totally forgot. I would've done it but another guy who I had bought from before gave me a deal, so I went there. Either way, I was getting it :) Elvis did the pics help at all?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
jbsupra89t said:
Ah yes good call Elvis, I totally forgot. I would've done it but another guy who I had bought from before gave me a deal, so I went there. Either way, I was getting it :) Elvis did the pics help at all?

Hell yeah!!! them pics are awesome... I now know what radiator will work... I guess the Koyo is ~3" think and seems to fit like my stock one (as far as distance to the fan). Can you do me 1 more favor tho?????

Get a pic with a ruler, going from the core support to the fan itself. I am now VERY curious to see if the 1J and 2J actually sit at the same distance from the core support. I'll try and get a pic of mine when I get home. I've got some very spiffy stuff going into my engine bay within a few weeks and replacing that fugly, leaking radiator is top priority. What are the dimensions of that Koyo anyways?

E

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Will do, I'll take the car out later and snap a quick shot. The dimensions I will also get.

-J

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
just wondering what overflow bottle your using.i'm thinking my 1jz bottle with the bottom feed set-up doesn't work as good as the 7m one that feeds throught the cap.any thaughts on this.
keith

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Actually, i think its a better set-up (1jz) i read the thread about it on SP alittle bit ago. If your looking for a smaller one, MVP supposedly sells one that came with the Greddy 3row. But, when i called they told me i had to buy the whole intercooler. Hope that helps.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
now it seems like the radiator siphons back and forth more know with the 1jz bottle.you have the line from the radiator going to the bottom of the bottle,right?
keith

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
correct. When i purchased the car, it still had the 7m's overflow tank, so i got another one(different smaller one) and switched the set-up. Well heres what i read from SF.....

12-06-2004, 11:23 PM #1
1jzSupraGuy
SupraForums Member

coolant resevoir question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is the coolant resevoir cap suppose to have a tube that goes down into the resevoir like the 7m? what is the outlet tube on the bottom of the resevoir go to? what is suppose to go on the tube?

1jzSupraGuy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 1jzSupraGuy
Find More Posts by 1jzSupraGuy
Add 1jzSupraGuy to Your Buddy List

12-07-2004, 12:30 PM #2
flubyux2
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®

no. no tube on the stock 1JZ res. cap... the overflow line comes in from the bottom of the tank. its purges all the air out the top and as long as the tank is full, the 1JZ radiator will suck in coolant, not air. its a much better design. the only time the 1JZ tank will overflow is if the coolant level reaches the top and goes out the cap.

you also need to use this to run the stock 1JZ fmic, as well as the stock 1JZ bumper header panel support as the MA70 support beam (where the horns mount, and braces the hood latch) does not allow clearance for the rear of the thicker 1JZ fmic core... if you havent already swapped it.