255/45/17 's in front

G

gotboost$

hey guys,

i'm wanting to put 255/45/17's on the front of my 92Turbo. Is this overkill? Does anyone use this setup? Do they fit well, or do they occasionally rub? :confused:

Race Bred

Mar 30, 2005
Tallahassee, Fl
With the correct offset it should be no problem. I have 265/35/18" up front with no rubbing on unrolled fenders. Unfortunately I can’t remember the offset... Dr. J had 275s up front afaik... 255s should be cake.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I have 255/40/17's up front. No issues. Running with MKIV TT's. 285/40/17's in the rear too. It's a good size to run up front IMO.

J

JerzeySlowpra

why so wide for the front? i only run a 225 and save the wide for the back, any real reason why you guys run real wide in the front, just curious

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
More traction for me, I hate understeer. The 255's still lock up under full braking though, could my my TRD HPZ's, but I like!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
255/35/18's here, had to roll the lips slightly as they would rub when turning into a drive way at a fast roll.

They're getting close to the plastic inner guards on full lock as well.

Reason for using them: Ditto Racer I don't like understeer but this is less of an issue since changing to a Torsen Diff.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
JerzeySlowpra said:
why so wide for the front? i only run a 225 and save the wide for the back, any real reason why you guys run real wide in the front, just curious

So agree, i dont get it. I have 225 up front and 245 in the back, of course id like to go as wide as possible in the back when i get 17 or 18s. But id leave it 225 or max 245 up front...no wider..

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
275/4017 at all 4 corners on my car. They rub slightly at full lock to the right, not the left (I'm missing one of those little plastic caps on one of the steering stops) during normal driving. They also contact the plastic wheelhouse liner at the top on hard bumps while cornering near maximum. It preserves the chassis balance, for people who enjoy going around corners. The occasional rubs don't bother me nearly as much as a bad push would.

G

gotboost$

The wheel's i have, i got off of a MR2 guy, they are enki 17X8 in front and 17X9 in the rear, i dont know the offset tho. Beautiful antricite wheels :D

Is the offset usaully stamped on the inner side of the wheel?

I ran 225/50's up front 255/40's in rear on the stock size 16's. the 255's were a bit too wide for the wheel, they wore in the middle but about 1/2" on each side were brand new after 2 auto-x races, while the middle's were shit, i mean shot...

My friend has a 01' VR6 jetta 5speed and he runs 225/40's on 17X8" O.Z superleggre's all around with minor rubbing on full lock. handeling differance from stock size (with pirelli rosso's i think) was amazing. :eek:

the only suspeinsion mod's i have is bilstein struts and suspension tech. sway bar bushings and tie rod ends.

What i'm going for is increased cornering stability and stickiness ya know? pushing my car to that wonderfull edge of traction loss during hard cornering.

thanks for you're help guys. :cool: