2008 Supra MKIII - Project 1BYDFALT

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
^^^^ I couldn't stop laughing LOL. Ok, let me upload some shots. I got some free time now.

P.S - If I were single and LIlMiss was here, there would be nothing but... ;)

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Here's a couple of shots...

New OEM Hatch stoppers are in...
IMG_3174_SMALL.jpg

Door handles are in...
IMG_3175_SMALL.jpg

I also now have the left side moldings and rear view mirror on. Should be installing the corner tail lights this weekend. I was waiting for the OEM gaskets. Should have pics...If I remember :biglaugh:

Here's Ron's art work. Excellent as always.

IMG_3176_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3187_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3178_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3182_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3183_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3184_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3185_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3186_SMALL.jpg

Sorry, I don't have the chrome strip on the moldings yet :cry:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
LilMiss has that effect on everybody................:naughty:

Your car is looking great. I can't wait to see the new chrome strips on the mouldings.
Have you did any more research on the turbos?
Overall, I give your car ten heart faces out of ten.
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

don't bother counting them, their is ten there..............you counted them anyways.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
NEARLY completed the ENTIRE thread "read"... as I have just RECENTLY arrived... (Couldn't wait to comment, though!)

'89 Supra here... yes, one of the BLUE guys.

I just have to say one thing to you: :bowdown:

(...I take that back... THANK YOU! ...as well.:thumbup: )

Your story is fantastic! You are a credit to our "race", and an inspiration to our "kind".

-crisp

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Crisp - Thank you for your kind words. You give me more credit then I deserve. I'm just a humble Supra lover who always wanted a MKIII in mint condition. I thank you greatly for your encouraging words...I need them from time to time as this build is taking a lot of work and money, which in return may discourage anyone from their build. On another note, is that your car in your sig?

BTW - Midnight blue (as you may know if you read the first page) is another one of my favorite colors for the MKIII.

Update:

Since I'm here (which is becoming more frequent then my wife would like :biglaugh: ), I have an update...

Ok, So I've been called just about anything (retard, crazy, etc) from my family and friends who cannot comprehend why I'm spending money on an old car instead of just buying a new one. :nono:

For this mod, even my family agreed it gave the car a nice touch. As you may know, I'm ALL about the small details you CAN'T see right away, as opposed to a BIG turbo or 22" wheels...lol. Here's what I did...

Chrome Door Latch

IMG_3197_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3198_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3199_SMALL.jpg

Here's what it looks like installed.

IMG_3189_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3190_SMALL.jpg

IMG_3188_SMALL.jpg

Looks better in person. That's all for now. Stay tuned.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
Crisp - Thank you for your kind words...

On another note, is that your car in your sig?

YES! My 2nd MkIII, first TURBO (Supra), and THIRD Supra!

I have had this car since February of 1995, when I purchased it with only 22k miles on the clock. (The story is MUCH longer than that... actually. Someday I'll write the book... like when I do a job like YOU on her... heh heh heh...)

p635020_1.jpg

p635020_2.jpg

p635020_3.jpg

p635020_4.jpg

Photos from this past week. The car JUST woke up from a FIVE YEAR slumber... with an electrical problem I just cured on the FIRST DAY I joined this site and started searching!

Love my Midnight Blue! Love YOUR approach to the build!

Keep the "TEASEPICS" coming...

-crisp

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
crisp said:
The car JUST woke up from a FIVE YEAR slumber... with an electrical problem I just cured on the FIRST DAY I joined this site and started searching!

-crisp

SIG Worthy!

And back on topic........I love the chrome door latches! But what are the covers? I like the textured look, but will it interfere with the proper function of the door. If so I love it, it looks good.

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Thats is some very nice work you are doing there MKIII-drifting ,That car is going to have a lot of Class.:love:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Crisp, your car is MINT. Wanna sell it?? J/K. I hope we can meet sometime at a supra gathering. We're not that far away from each other. I love to see clean supras that are well maintained!

Forced - it works as designed. I tested it and everything looks good, and works good I should say :biglaugh:

Hooked - Thank you...some work it is...actually a LOT of work :biglaugh:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
[MKIII-DRIFTING]: I also now have the left side moldings and rear view mirror on. Should be installing the corner tail lights this weekend. I was waiting for the OEM gaskets. Should have pics...If I remember :biglaugh:

Did you order the mouldings from toyota or u are going to reuse yours? If u are reusing yours, what kind of adhesive to glue the mouldings back on the car? i know there are clips and i want it to stick to the door like the way it came factory. I dont know what to use, i had try 3m double sided tape but it didnt work well.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
Crisp, your car is MINT. Wanna sell it?? J/K. I hope we can meet sometime at a supra gathering. We're not that far away from each other. I love to see clean supras that are well maintained!
QUOTE]

MINT? Not like YOURS will be soon!:love:

(It helps if your car is OUT OF COMMISSION for YEARS like mine was! HA!)

Yes, we are NOT that far away... and YES! I would like to see MANY more clean supras... matter of fact, today, on my way into Detroit... I spotted a CLEEEEEEEN '87 "T" in MIDNIGHT BLUE in front of me... so we "raced" a little (me in my '04 Solara...) until I slowly pulled away! (He was STOCK, of course... and the 'lara is NOT!) After the "pull", he came up alongside and smiled, so I reached into my glovebox and pulled out a HANDY pic of MY '89... then HELD it to the passenger glass so he could see it! He motioned and PULLED OVER on the I-275 3-lane... and we both got out and spoke briefly! I gave him my info and told him to CHECK OUT SM! (He needs some MOTIVATION and TECH info to tinker on his VERY CLEAN ride!)

Made my day! ...back to YOUR build...:icon_wink

-crisp

riot19

May 26, 2006
Ohio
wow.

Love the door handles. they look so much better without the locks

whats you total build cost so far?

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
akito said:
Did you order the mouldings from toyota or u are going to reuse yours?

I'm reusing the ones that were on the car. I usually don't mind buying new parts if they are needed, such as the window trim mouldings, BUT I don't like wasting money. If something can be reused, then recycle it is :biglaugh:

akito said:
If u are reusing yours, what kind of adhesive to glue the mouldings back on the car? i know there are clips and i want it to stick to the door like the way it came factory. I dont know what to use, i had try 3m double sided tape but it didnt work well.

I'm using 3M. The same one on the chrome moldings you see pictured here. If I may, let me suggest the next time you install yours, make sure you have new clips and new caps. Also clean both surfaces extremely well (car body and mouldings). Then preheat both, mouldings and the body (door, q-panel, fender, etc) before installation.

Mouldings 68° - 86° F
Body 104° - 140° F

crisp said:
matter of fact, today, on my way into Detroit... I spotted a CLEEEEEEEN '87 "T" in MIDNIGHT BLUE in front of me... so we "raced" a little
LOL, that's awsome. Usually, if I can, I stop and talk to anyone I see driving a Supra. I know of a couple of really clean Supras around my area. They owners are not really car guys, they just love the car for what it is. One of them is an accountant. He bought the car new in 92. He had to drive to NYC to get it because they didn't have what he wanted around here. The car currently has 40K miles on it and NOT ONE MOD, nothing. Is really nice, mint inside and out. I sometimes stop by and talk to the guy for a bit, harass him some more about selling it to me, etc, etc :biglaugh:

Another guy has a black Supra Targa. Low miles also...76k if I recall correctly. I saw him parked as I was driving home from NYC. I was maybe 5 min away from home. So I quickly drove home and got my Supra at the time (white 5sp) and drove back (you know, is usually a better conversation when the car is there... LOL). Knocked on the door and talked to the guy for a little while. Once again a great guy. Usually the opposite with MKIV guys. :biglaugh: So we exchanged info and haven't seen the car since. He has also had the car forever.

I know the owners of pretty much any Supra around my area. There's a couple that are mint, a few that are nice, and a lot of the mistreated ones LOL.[/QUOTE]

riot19 said:
wow.
Love the door handles. they look so much better without the locks

Thanks, I love 'em too. I think they look much much better w/o the locks. That's why I had it done. On the early stages of R&D to decide what to do with the car, I had removed (shaved digitally) the door handles completely and was going to install door poppers, but was not 100% happy with the look and decided to just shave the locks.

riot19 said:
whats you total build cost so far?

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2::eek: :eek: :eek: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :cry: :cry: :cry:

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKIII-DRIFTKING said:
I'm using 3M. :

I used some 1/2" 3M "foam" adhesive as well. (One door molding and one front "nose" molding were coming off... matter of fact, the door molding was ALL the way off after sitting in the weather for several years.)

I SCRAPED the OLD adhesive foam off for quite awhile on a hot day and then CLEANED, CLEANED, CLEANED the trench and strip with shop towels and alcohol. Application was on a VERY warm 88degree? day and seems to be holding up nicely so far... (I took care to "align" the TOP notch to the TOP of the trench... as there is some "play" from TOP to BOTTOM and you can end up with a "wiggly" trim if you aren't careful.)

-crisp