.20 over or .40 over pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Hey guys, I have looked and searched online with some information. Now my questions is that .20 or .40 which is better. I know that increasing the volume is better for overall power out put, but would it also be reliable as a DD? So my question is .20 or .40 pistons.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Put the decimal in the right place. "Twenty over" is 0.020" NOT 0.20". 0.20" would be ludicrous and impossible and "two hundred over". 0.020" = ~0.5mm (0.508mm). The less you need to take away the better. Go to far and you end up setting your self up for sleaving etc with a future rebuild. And if you say that, "I don't plan on rebuilding this again again." think about the next person who does and do them a favor :)

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
My only question is that my pistons on order was .020. I have been waiting for awhile, and now the only ones they have in stock is .040. Though .040 was never in my mind, considering the long wait and need, I've decided to just go with .040 pistons. Thanks aaron, but I was just wandering if there is a bad trait in .040 over and daily driving.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Hmong_1G;1393587 said:
My only question is that my pistons on order was .020. I have been waiting for awhile, and now the only ones they have in stock is .040. Though .040 was never in my mind, considering the long wait and need, I've decided to just go with .040 pistons. Thanks aaron, but I was just wandering if there is a bad trait in .040 over and daily driving.
:nono: no Aaron here....
(unless radiod is Aaron then that means I don't rate a thankyou)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
No Aaron here either, but w/e. Hopefully Aaron feels thanked? Whatever, we're done here. Nothing wrong with going 0.040" over stock, just always keep in mind there's a limited amount of material between each cylinder ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ.;1392930 said:
The bare minimum that will give a round and straight bore.... there is no power to be had from an overbore on a 3.0L long stroke engine.....

Basically what IJ.s said. Nothing to be gained by OB in these engines.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
radiod;1393599 said:
No Aaron here either, but w/e. Hopefully Aaron feels thanked? Whatever, we're done here. Nothing wrong with going 0.040" over stock, just always keep in mind there's a limited amount of material between each cylinder ;)

exceptionally limited and there is no next time. If something happens, the block became a giant paper weight.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Just thanking aaron from driftmotion ( just incase he stumbles on by). Ok knowing the wall is gonna be thinner would that also mean more prone to cracks or heat transfer? I know that its just a possibility, but just wandering at this point. I'm staying the thermo fan clutch way for now and hoping all goes will. True to the point that going .060 will never happen with this block, but I hope that with proper tuning and maintenance I hope to see at least 2-4 yrs of reliability from going .040. Nothing serious here guys (no 400rwhp+). Just wanting my ma70 back on the road.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Hmong_1G;1394141 said:
Just thanking aaron from driftmotion ( just incase he stumbles on by). Ok knowing the wall is gonna be thinner would that also mean more prone to cracks or heat transfer? I know that its just a possibility, but just wandering at this point. I'm staying the thermo fan clutch way for now and hoping all goes will. True to the point that going .060 will never happen with this block, but I hope that with proper tuning and maintenance I hope to see at least 2-4 yrs of reliability from going .040. Nothing serious here guys (no 400rwhp+). Just wanting my ma70 back on the road.

So Radiod, Figgie and I don't warrant a "thanks"??

Well fuck you don't expect help from me again... :nono:

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Well so sorry if everything requires a thanks. Aaron has help me so far along, and was just hoping that others can just clear this up. :aigo: well nuff said.....guess my presence ain't welcome on supramania. Even for a Mod that is just uncalled for, But thanks for those who appreciate the foundation of being a supra owner and helping hand. Names shouldn't be announced.

Last edited:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Hmong_1G;1394484 said:
Well so sorry if everything requires a thanks. Aaron has help me so far along, and was just hoping that others can just clear this up. :aigo: well nuff said.....

Wow...I too will not go out of my way to assist you if need be!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Hmong_1G;1394489 said:
I know... attack the junior member and protect those who are above.

Uuum no...everyone took time from their day to "try" and answer your question....your question as written in the forum was answered 10fold! Then you say thanks to Arron from driftmotion and forget that everyone else gave you great advice.....you should have said "thanks everyone for the help and thanks Arron for explaining in more detail as I suck at English!"

has nothing to do with seniority...has everything to do with your manners and the lack of!

Even the damn forum owner went out of his way to help you which isn't common for him like it is for everyone else!

On that note...you're a rude little prick!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Remeber this...just cause you're a member here doesn't mean we have to help you! We help those who truly appreciate our help and learn from it...you don't appreciate the rest of those people helping you so "I" will not help you either!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Hmong_1G;1394484 said:
Well so sorry if everything requires a thanks. Aaron has help me so far along, and was just hoping that others can just clear this up. :aigo: well nuff said.....guess my presence ain't welcome on supramania. Even for a Mod that is just uncalled for, But thanks for those who appreciate the foundation of being a supra owner and helping hand. Names shouldn't be announced.

It's just common courtesy you arrogant ignorant turd, if someone takes the time to try and help you the least you can do is thank them.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1394515 said:
It's just common courtesy you arrogant ignorant turd, if someone takes the time to try and help you the least you can do is thank them.

You don't have to thank them. But if you don't, you wind up on the "ignore this persons questions in the future list". It's sad that the list is growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.