2 step

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
How to run a 2 step with the stock ecu ? Is it possible? What ignition setup do you need to do this? Dont have the coin to go standalone and need 2step to help spool turbo. Anyone got any ideas.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
gt42 Im in to drag racing and I have a 5spd so im looking at running a 2step to help build boost off the line. I just want to know if this is at all possible with out going standalone. If it takes a piggy back to do it what is it ? If I have to change ignition setups which im guessing what is it ? Thanks

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Yes that is correct sir. Im 21 I make shit all for money but My dad owns a small shop so Im trying to make things work the best with what I got. The car is not yet running turbo has been fitted same with 4" exhaust and cheap ebay manifold. Lots of shit left to do.
Block is being built up right now will have pics of my build as it comes along. Head is going to get some major work done as well.
Car will be fitted with a 8.8 rearend out of a mustang yes it will be built as well. The car is going to take me along time yet to get done . It will get a standalone before its done anyway I just want to know if it is possible to install a 2step with the stock ecu and make it work.
I have another pretty much stock bottom end supra (injectors/fuel pump and basic mods) supra that I was going to fit the gt42 on and see what I could do at the track with it and figured a 2step would help alot Thanks for any help and please dont bust my balls I know that there is alot more to going fast then just throwing big turbo on. If I can get a 2step working on it im sure it will keep me entertained till my project sup is done . This is just for fun thats it.

mcoleman5

Jun 12, 2005
Columbus, GA
Yes you can get a 2-step to work with the stock ECU. The primary one is made by MSD. You have to remember not to take everything from this forum as fact because half of the people who respond to your question don't know shit about racing; let alone how to build an engine to race. I have never gone to an after market ECU because I like the drivability of the stock ECU. I am running a piggy-back (MAP ECU) to control my fuel when I am running a lot of boost. My car made 525 rear wheel HP the last time I dyno'ed the car and that was only at 22 pounds of boost. I drag race at 25 to 28 pounds of boost with no problem running consistent mid 11 sec passes. Half of the people who here 2-step thinks that is a method use to leave the line not realizing that one of the functions of a 2-step, which is a piece of electronicis, use to help build boost off the line. So continue doing what you are doing, and hurry up and finish that other car, it sounds like it will be a beast.

Last edited:

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
mcoleman5 said:
Half of the people who here 2-step thinks that is a method use to leave the line

That's the whole point of it...build boost to leave the line quicker, better 60', etc. etc.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
heh. get a standalone.

that aside, there is really only 1 option for a 2 step- the MSD DIS-4. the phil long 2 step from the MKIV won't work. though you could try some sort of random cut-off of Igt or something.....perhaps the MAFT pro might do this in the future....

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Well I will give the MSD DIS-4 a try. Any problems I might run into installing this who has done this ? I cant wait for my 87project car to be complete will be awhile since im limited by money . Thanks for the help

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
there are a few install pages on it. you'll need 2 tach adaptors. make sure you buy a newer one as MSD modified them to work w/the 7M.

BTW- gl spooling that turbo....hopefully you're running a pretty decent shot of N2O.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i too am gonna say you need a standalone. i say this for a couple reasons.
with that big of a turbo you are gonna need to raise the rev limit. otherwise you are gonna be stuck w/ a 1000 rpm powerband. also, the injector sizing needed to fuel a turbo that big will have a hard time being controlled by piggybacks.

good luck w/ your project.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Thanks drjonez. I was just about to say that.

The bee*r rev limiter is just that. A rev limiter.
A 2-step not only sets a lower, different rev limit, but retards timing like a mofo so the fuel burns outside the CC, thus spooling the turbo...

But I don't have to tell you guys that, now do I ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mcoleman5 said:
Yes you can get a 2-step to work with the stock ECU. The primary one is made by MSD. You have to remember not to take everything from this forum as fact because half of the people who respond to your question don't know shit about racing; let alone how to build an engine to race. I have never gone to an after market ECU because I like the drivability of the stock ECU. I am running a piggy-back (MAP ECU) to control my fuel when I am running a lot of boost. My car made 525 rear wheel HP the last time I dyno'ed the car and that was only at 22 pounds of boost. I drag race at 25 to 28 pounds of boost with no problem running consistent mid 11 sec passes. Half of the people who here 2-step thinks that is a method use to leave the line not realizing that one of the functions of a 2-step, which is a piece of electronicis, use to help build boost off the line. So continue doing what you are doing, and hurry up and finish that other car, it sounds like it will be a beast.

actually,

2 step was ADAPTED to the drag racing world but was orignally invented and thought of by the WRC guys to prevent the turbo from spin down to far when going around a corner. The real name for it is Anti-lag.

Anti-lag/2-step are great for standard transmission cars. Worthless on an Auto as the auto puts enough load on the engine to build boost. It helps in cutting down 60 foot times as you can build significant amount of "boost" without any load. the downside is that you can and will destroy a manifold if you don't know what you are doing and the turbo takes a beating too.

mcoleman5

Jun 12, 2005
Columbus, GA
WeDgE said:
That's the whole point of it...build boost to leave the line quicker, better 60', etc. etc.

You missed what I was saying, what I am sayings is some people think when people say 2-step, they are under the impression that its something you learn how to do to get faster off the line, not something you add to the car.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
mcoleman5 said:
You missed what I was saying, what I am sayings is some people think when people say 2-step, they are under the impression that its something you learn how to do to get faster off the line, not something you add to the car.

but they are completely wrong so whats it matter what they think?