#2 Rod Bearing Failure

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
My engine has lost the #2 rod bearing 3 times. Each time it has gouged the crank and it has been replaced 3 times as well in less than 15,000 miles. The oil pump was replaced with a new shimmed asian oil pump the casting was machined to the minium specifications. Runs rich by the plugs. All factory electronics. Boost at about 6 lbs with a worn wastegate spring. I cant figure out what is causing this rod to keep failing. Has anyone out there had problems with the #2 rod bearings. I have run calico coated NDC bearings all 3 times.

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Yes the crank was replaced 3 times. I did not want to use non-standard bearings

Plasti-gauge was well within factory specs.

The only common denominator is the block but I don't understand how this could effect only 1 rod. From the looks of things #2 was oil starved. All the others simply have some minor scoring from the bearing coming apart. I don't understand why #2 is different.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Fergie76;1942560 said:
Yes the crank was replaced 3 times. I did not want to use non-standard bearings

Plasti-gauge was well within factory specs.

The only common denominator is the block but I don't understand how this could effect only 1 rod. From the looks of things #2 was oil starved. All the others simply have some minor scoring from the bearing coming apart. I don't understand why #2 is different.

Have you tried checking the oiling ports inside the block to make sure they're not plugged?

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
All I can think of is the oil galley in the block is probably plugged, or obstucted reducing oil flow. I'd have the block looked at personally. I don't know exactly how the oil system works In the 7m. If it continues being starved after you've done everything right, I would think its the block