1zj swap question

fstsupra

Jan 12, 2006
IDAHO
ok i have a 89 and i found out i had the hard mounts or early style for 89 i ordered a front clip and ended up with a soarer will that cross member work on the supra ? i havnt picked the clip up yet just seeing if it wll so i cna find out if i gotta buy one before hand

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yea where did you get it from? if you ordered a supra clip and got a soarer clip then get yur money back

it isn't Osaka cause they are in Canada and he's not gonna drive from Idaho to canada to pick up a clip

fstsupra

Jan 12, 2006
IDAHO
its from a company i order motors from all the time they got it for me a special order so returning it isnt a option. i use them for all the engine swaps my company does. no one knows about the cross member :( it porbly wont fit i was just kinda hopfull lol

fstsupra

Jan 12, 2006
IDAHO
so at $1600 is it worth the hassle in ur guyes opion to just stick with my soarer clip ???

Last edited:

odomd

computer illiterate
Jan 11, 2006
nj
Here is the deal. as long as yours comes with a rear sump it will be fine. It really is not as hard as any of these people say it is. I'm guessing all the nay sayers have never actually done the work themselves. A 1j is a 1j it is actually better to get one from a family sedan that has not been beat on its whole life speacily if you are just planning on dropping it in with out rebuilding it. I have written down all the wiring from plug to plug to wire color. My friend Joos (afonz) has taken the time to post it up. Thanks Joos. Opinions all very but in my own, Knowing from learning say to get the cheapest rear sump 1j with tranny and wiring uncut with ecu together and then buy the gasket kit and bearings from Jeff at Champion Toyota.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
fstsupra said:
thanks man its a rear sump so i guese im good to go

Yup, just follow the wiring instructions I posted and you'll have it swapped in no time.

NOTE: You will need to get some JZA70 motor mount brackets and the motor mounts. If your soarer 1jz has the rubber mounts, you are going to have to shave off the bottom nipple to make them flush on the crossmember. Trust me, I found out the hard way.