1UZ swap complete. S366, Haltech, E85, etc.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
88mk3supra;1833513 said:
wow car sounds great! did you go v160 yet? nice 1.5jz 300 too :)

Nah, still working on selling my body. lol

I'm on my second r154 which was perfect when i put it in.....and it's about to shit the bed. I'm going to hold off driving it until I get some dyno numbers. I'm HOPING to get it on there today.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd be afraid to see just how much torque you're putting out if you're killing R154's this quick. I've seen them stand up to SERIOUS (well into the 700+ft-lbs range) abuse in my time, and you're the first to post pics I've seen of completely stripped gears...

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Just ordered my adapter plate for the 1UZ bellhousing to R154 trans. Cant wait to get a start on the swap, and this thread didnt help any!

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
Rupinder;1834336 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmvFvuTvF0Q
One of my friend's 1UZ TT conversion - just completed

Dare I ask...how long did this take to complete? :) Isn't this the one that you guys started working on like 3 or 4 years ago?

IBoughtASupra - Base timing is calibrated by locking the haltech to a timing value - doesn't really matter what it is could be 5, 10, 15, etc. - and using a timing light on #1 cylinder. Then you change the trigger values(tooth offset and trigger angle) until it is synced up.

Rupinder

Supramania Contributor
Apr 24, 2007
Toronto
enslaved87;1834518 said:
Dare I ask...how long did this take to complete? :) Isn't this the one that you guys started working on like 3 or 4 years ago?

IBoughtASupra - Base timing is calibrated by locking the haltech to a timing value - doesn't really matter what it is could be 5, 10, 15, etc. - and using a timing light on #1 cylinder. Then you change the trigger values(tooth offset and trigger angle) until it is synced up.

Way too long to complete :( but I'm glad it's finally done.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
enslaved87;1834518 said:

So you just keep cranking and changing the trigger angle and then see when it fires?

Lastly, and sorry to bug you, but where are the cam sensors on this motor?

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
IBoughtASupra;1834564 said:
So you just keep cranking and changing the trigger angle and then see when it fires?

Lastly, and sorry to bug you, but where are the cam sensors on this motor?

Cam sensors are on the aluminum housing that surrounds the cam gears. They are reluctors that pickup from single tooth on the cam gears.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
p1835391_1.jpg

So...not completely satisfied with the numbers, but it is what it is. Final pull was at 18psi (red on the printout above). 638rwhp 618rwtq. It has a solid 800rwhp in it but anything over 18psi and it was blowing out spark. I guess for what it is the 100% stock ignition system ain't that bad afterall! lol! FYI - The blue lines are from my past 1jz setup with BC 264 cams and a T78.

A couple things I noticed...this engine is in DIRE need of upgraded cams - MUCH more so than and stock JZ cams. And the ignition system just doesn't have enough umph to get the job done above this power/boost level as plugs are already gapped way down and every component is brand new.

Videos on the way...

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What's the plan for the ignition? MSD stuff or going with a smart coil setup?

Can't argue with those numbers at all and that motor, with it's internals, is probably barely breaking a sweat getting there. You tuned it yourself?

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
IBoughtASupra;1835408 said:
What's the plan for the ignition? MSD stuff or going with a smart coil setup?

Can't argue with those numbers at all and that motor, with it's internals, is probably barely breaking a sweat getting there. You tuned it yourself?

Yeah, I build and tune for a living. :evil2:

As for ignition, plans are to get a nice COP setup. Honestly I wanted to test the limits of the stock ignition system - guess I found it.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
god i fricken want one!!!! nice job man! car sounds so beast :) i bet it is nuts looking forward to seeing even more progress on this keep it up man

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
88mk3supra;1835453 said:
god i fricken want one!!!! nice job man! car sounds so beast :) i bet it is nuts looking forward to seeing even more progress on this keep it up man

Just spend the money, time and effort and you'll have one too. Plenty of threads around!