1UZ-FE swap?

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Hey fellow supra owners, just wondering if anyone has done a 1uz-fe conversion in their mkIII? If so was the swap worth it? Run into any serious issues? not alot of info on the 1uz on Supramania, i'll keep searching the web but i would rather have Supramania opinions. Thanks

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
I know its been done, i wanted info from the people who have done the swap, and if its worth my time and money. If it turns out that i dont like the idea of swapping in a lex v8, then i might decide to go with a 2uz-fe, or maybe even switch manufacturer's and drop in a TPI 375 sb. Truly what im looking for with this post is "hey you dudes that did the lexus swap, is your car fast as hell? And do you think you would have rather went 2j?" but yeah anyway thanks for the input.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can PM 4U2QUIK. HE has done the 1uz swap in his mk3. He also sells the adapter plates for the r154 and w58 and some other things.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
IMHO it is not worth it unless you want a stock motor in your car. The aftermarket is non-existant for the UZ line of motors. The engine swap is affordable if you want an auto but to put a manual behind this engine is pricey. The ecu can not be tuned which means if you want to modify it then you really need to go standalone. There are much more affordable and powerful V8 options out there.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Ahh, there is plenty of 1UZ-FE info here....

If you put the 1UZ-FE in first then bolt the trans up you won’t have to hammer the firewall. You will however need to put a dent in the stock supra brake booster or get an 85 Non Turbo Toyota Truck booster, that will help but in my experience it still hit the valve cover. Going with a manual transmission isn’t super expensive either, and if you put together the right set up it will last. I went with the first Quantum W58 kit, It has lasted over 22k miles.

There are aftermarket parts for the 1UZ-FE, more than most think. But you WILL pay a lot for them. A set of cams alone cost if I can remember correctly $1300, pistons $1200, and rods around $1000. You can get ITB for about $900, there are a few twin tube intake manifolds floating out there for the 1UZ-FE too, they usually go for about $1000. $350 arp head studs too. Headers, jeeze if you can find them they are REAL expensive. Supercharger kits start at around $2000 without the supercharger.

I'll be honest, you’re not going to beat many modified turbo Supra out there with a stock 1UZ-FE. But if you build one, and do it right, they will produce amazing torque and power. When I started my build I didn’t care how easy or "cheap" I could have put a 2JZ with a single turbo in, I wanted a V8, and I would have cursed myself if I didn’t do it. With the 4:30 gears in my car I get an average of 19-22 mpg no matter how I drive on premium fuel. Wiring isn’t nearly as complicated as most make it out to be, the SC400 wiring and the Supra wiring are very similar.

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
Was just reading through this, don't know anything about a 1UZ swap but... redrocco's sig is so full of win^^ lol "Lambo, What Lambo?"" lmao

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Chambers;1810136 said:
Ahh, there is plenty of 1UZ-FE info here....

If you put the 1UZ-FE in first then bolt the trans up you won’t have to hammer the firewall. You will however need to put a dent in the stock supra brake booster or get an 85 Non Turbo Toyota Truck booster, that will help but in my experience it still hit the valve cover. Going with a manual transmission isn’t super expensive either, and if you put together the right set up it will last. I went with the first Quantum W58 kit, It has lasted over 22k miles.

There are aftermarket parts for the 1UZ-FE, more than most think. But you WILL pay a lot for them. A set of cams alone cost if I can remember correctly $1300, pistons $1200, and rods around $1000. You can get ITB for about $900, there are a few twin tube intake manifolds floating out there for the 1UZ-FE too, they usually go for about $1000. $350 arp head studs too. Headers, jeeze if you can find them they are REAL expensive. Supercharger kits start at around $2000 without the supercharger.

I'll be honest, you’re not going to beat many modified turbo Supra out there with a stock 1UZ-FE. But if you build one, and do it right, they will produce amazing torque and power. When I started my build I didn’t care how easy or "cheap" I could have put a 2JZ with a single turbo in, I wanted a V8, and I would have cursed myself if I didn’t do it. With the 4:30 gears in my car I get an average of 19-22 mpg no matter how I drive on premium fuel. Wiring isn’t nearly as complicated as most make it out to be, the SC400 wiring and the Supra wiring are very similar.

Thanks for the info :) I'm definitely going 1uz-fe, will start my build in june and will hopefully have it 100% complete before december, i would start sooner but i have to gather parts:) oh cost is no issue, not really worried about racing other supras, just seeing one in my area is a rarity.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
Today I came across at the junk yard for a heck of a deal on a 1UZ with ecu complete... with the wiring behing the dash and engine harness with gauge cluster for 500 dlls but... since I have no intentions on having a V8... I ythought to share it with anoyne that wants a 1UZ for cheap.. Pm me..