1uz drifting driveshaft???

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey everyone last night after a fun night of getting sideways in parking lots i noticed a clunk coming from the drivetrain at first i thought the welds broke in the diff but thats not it diff is still locked up nicely. after searching on here ive concluded that my carrier bearing is just about done.
im looking into a 1 piece steel driveshaft
im running 4:30 gears in the pumpkin, a w58 strapped to a 1uzfe and a Lincoln Locker lol
my concern is the critical speed of the driveshaft.

what would i have to do to make sure the one i get can hold up to the abuse of weekend drifting and daily driving

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A steel driveshaft.

My buddy makes them for zankoku. Hit up ace.

My buddys car was at 410whp and going to be at 500 soon and he drags his car and beats on it every week. Zero problems.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Poodles;1664283 said:
High gearing, yeah, you should be worrying about it if you do top end runs...

not really going to be doing a lot of top end runs im actually getting ready to switch to 3:91 gears hoping to bring my 80mph engine speed back down under 2k

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Even at that gearing, you run the risk of driveshaft failure.

As IJ says, it's one of the parts that can kill you if it fails at speed...

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Poodles;1664300 said:
Even at that gearing, you run the risk of driveshaft failure.

As IJ says, it's one of the parts that can kill you if it fails at speed...

thats very true. if im not mistaken there is a loop to keep it all together if it fails right?
im also wondering how the 240sx guys are getting away with it???

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
taka21;1664341 said:
thats very true. if im not mistaken there is a loop to keep it all together if it fails right?im also wondering how the 240sx guys are getting away with it???

Right up till the flailing DS hammers the bellhousing into submission and the entire trans falls out and jams under the car..... :(

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
IJ.;1664355 said:
Right up till the flailing DS hammers the bellhousing into submission and the entire trans falls out and jams under the car..... :(

Ian really? what are the odds of that actually happening. and how long would that take
did this happen to you ?????????????????????????????????

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

IJ.;1664355 said:

wait better question , how many have failed on you ??

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
IJ.;1664368 said:
Had it happen with a Muncie back in the day and recently saw a thread on it here....

Bellhousings aren't all that strong they're a big empty can..

thats true, well what would you recommend for this project?
and where might i find it

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
ds00.jpg

ds01.jpg

ds04.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep they're 3/4 ton size 1550's from memory, Hardy Spicer do a slip yoke to fit an r154/a340e and the other bits are Strange Engineering parts to suit the bigger tubes and Uni's.

As noted I'm a bit concerned by DS failures so doing it this way removes that.

The Centre bearing is just a new Toyota part and my local DS shop while not really understanding exactly how I wanted it done sort of got it right.
(If I were to do another I'd machine and weld all the parts myself and have it balanced)

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
IJ.;1664386 said:
Yep they're 3/4 ton size 1550's from memory, Hardy Spicer do a slip yoke to fit an r154/a340e and the other bits are Strange Engineering parts to suit the bigger tubes and Uni's.

As noted I'm a bit concerned by DS failures so doing it this way removes that.

The Centre bearing is just a new Toyota part and my local DS shop while not really understanding exactly how I wanted it done sort of got it right.
(If I were to do another I'd machine and weld all the parts myself and have it balanced)

i think that having something custom made like that is out of my pricerange. but im not beyond spending a little extra for greater gains.
in the 2-400 pricerange what would you do? the weight drop from the single piece is also pretty enticing

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
It wasn't really exe from memory, dearest part at the time was the Strange Yoke for the Tremec then I went Auto and the HS Yoke was dirt cheap by comparison.

Run the numbers on a one piece (someone posted a calculator here awahile back Search should find it) you maybe be within a safe range if you go steel..

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
IJ.;1664392 said:
It wasn't really exe from memory, dearest part at the time was the Strange Yoke for the Tremec then I went Auto and the HS Yoke was dirt cheap by comparison.

Run the numbers on a one piece (someone posted a calculator here awahile back Search should find it) you maybe be within a safe range if you go steel..

i found the thread but all the links in it are dead

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yup my friend cory(boostedsupra) uses spicer on his 1pc. He only usually recommended steel too. If you want alum hell make it and stand buy his work but the steel one is a lot stronger.

An upgraded 2pc would be nice but very expensive. If your not seeing 140+ than a steel 1 piece should do and the length for a 1pc for our cars is before the recommended spec of all ds to go to 2pc.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hvyman;1664426 said:
Yup my friend cory(boostedsupra) uses spicer on his 1pc. He only usually recommended steel too. If you want alum hell make it and stand buy his work but the steel one is a lot stronger.

An upgraded 2pc would be nice but very expensive. If your not seeing 140+ than a steel 1 piece should do and the length for a 1pc for our cars is before the recommended spec of all ds to go to 2pc.

so he made his???