1JZGTE stock vs 7MGTE stock

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I cant seem to pick one. Which will be a better buy? I will NOT do much mods of them maybe just the basics (headers, intake, exhaust). Dont have lots of money to go bananas of them, like replacing the twins with 1 bigger turbo, blah blah blah.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1j. Better track recond for reliability and more power.

Lets not let this turn into a jz vs 7m thread like the rest.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
7M is fine as long as the headgasket has been looked at correctly and the bottom end is solid. Generally speaking, its the cheapest upgrade because usally on a MA70 all the pieces are there for the engine. What you didn't say is.. what car are you putting it into and what's there now?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Any engine will fail with a jackass in control. Use your head along with some common sense and both engines will do you well. With basic bolt ons both engines will end up near the same BHP.

You're not into the track or drifting, you just want something for the straights. Didn't the cressida come with a 7m from the factory? Just NA-T it properly..

Just remember, both engines are close to 20 years old, replace the normal maintenance items so your engine bay isn't covered with coolant or oil.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My comment of the 7M was because of OP's comment about "dont have much money".. which always makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck when its in regards to a Supra... lol.
Just saw the 91 Cressida post. It comes with a 7MGE already I believe. So, the GTE may be the cheapest upgrade. Depends on your skill level really... the better you are, the less it will cost.
If your a Mediocre mechanic like me, it will end up costing you your left arm and first born...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
GE-T is a turbo mod to the 7MGE. GE's run higher compression (and I believe their intake cam is different) and lack the oil squirtes that the the 7MGTE has. I have heard from people with GE-T's but have never seen one in real life or driven one. Supposedly with the higher compression its a screamin' demon.. but the engine life is jeopardized.

However... that is what I read.. not what I know... plus.. I dont think its a cheap route.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
1JZ swap in a Cressida would be nice, especially if the car was clean overall.

Real talk though, for the price together a decent 1JZ-GTE or 7M-GTE you might be better served by selling your car and purchasing another one. If you're thrifty enough, you maybe able to convert it over to a decent running NA-T, and you can get away with the stock tranny.

However, the price can quickly rise if you're not careful. A stockish 1JZ swap may cost you around 5-6k, and the 7M-GTE swap won't be exactly cheap either. The only way I'd recommend the 7M-GTE is if you had the block already.

Horsepower goals and budget are going to be the determining factor.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
6k is a bit pricey for a stock running 1j setup if you do it your self. At a shop sure tho.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
5 to 6 k for a swap!! Come on man that is bullshit. Op you can get a 2jzge from junk yard for 500. Pull the motor, harness, and ecu your self. Tranny if you wanna stay auto. Get a W58 tranny for a few hundred. I would sell you mine for 200 but it is spoken for. Get a JZ bell housing for 350ish.

Some minor custom parts and wiring and I can give you the contact info for Guy Nelson at Feind performance who can do your wiring for under 500. I am typing on my phone so I am not gonna list it all. If want more info PM and I will log on from my laptop. 5 grand Christ.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
And yes I am aware this isn't what you asked, but a 2jzge swapped into your Cressida would be a better option to do then the 7m. Then you could save your money and do a proper NA-T'ed 2jz. If you don't want to go that option then figure 4 grand and a 1jzgte. Fuck the 7m bang for buck just isn't worth it.