1jzgte mate to a 1987 mkIII NA w58 or change to a r154... which is cheaper

drzaeis

Mar 9, 2011
Oakland
here's the dilemma.. and I know this has already been dealt with, but maybe not in this way before. I've already been browsing forums for over an hour...

I have an 87 mark III NA with a strong nice shifting W58. this is a track car only...

we bought a JDM 1JZGTE... what now? stick with the W58 or source a R154?

what would be cheaper/easier swap? I assume I need to buy a 2jz flywheel and bellhousing just to use my current w58? this can be pricey...

OR buy a R154? but I still need a new bellhousing??? I'm a little confused on that?

for the record the motor will stay stock so its not a power issue and were planning on replacing the clutch in either case..

Lastly this will be a track car only so there are no comfort, appearance or otherwise functional, esthetic issues that a street car would have...

any help is appreciated....

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
Buying the 2Z flywheel & bellhousing, reason being, If you get the R154 then you still have to buy bellhousing & fly wheel also. Being that you already have a W58, its way cheaper to keep the W58. Atleast $700 cheaper.

drzaeis

Mar 9, 2011
Oakland
yes it seems I need to buy a bellhousing and flywheel in either case..

Somehow I thought I could buy a R154 that will bolt up to a 1jzgte without having to buy a bellhousing? is that possible? or is there a 5 speed that will bolt up directly?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The r154 came with the 1j on the jza70 supra and on some soarers (sc300). You can probably source from a jdm supplier or check the classified section here for just the bellhousing and flywheel.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'm going 2JZ with a W58 using a 2JZ flywheel and IS300 bellhousing..

to go R154, I'd need the tranny, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, and tranny mount. All of that is way more expensive than buying just the flywheel and bellhousing..

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you ever decide to move up to the R154 you can easily get all your money back for the W58/JZ bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel. They sell used for almost the same price as you pay for new parts.

Also, you'll need the clutch fork and throwout bearing from a MKIV non-turbo (same car you get the bellhousing and flywheel from). The 7M fork/bearing won't work. The end that contacts the slave cylinder rod is too short.