1jz on its way!!!!!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
marks332;1879744 said:
alright thanks guys, the engine we got thou only has 30k miles on it thou so out twins should be in pretty well shape so im hoping we will have a while before the turbos have any main issues. but i agree now we will probably go single once these twins poop out.

That's a well...... Dangerous way to think...

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I highly agree with replacing everything you can especially seals and gaskets and doing head and block work. Get everything done while the motor is out so it is much easier and once you drop it in you can fully relax and enjoy the extra power.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
The 4 main reason's i got rid of them and what i think most people do it for also

1. They are Power limited to around 350 MAX

I made 422HP 465TQ back in 2007 with stock twins

2. They are 20+ years old and tend to break easy (Reliability)

I abused the crap outta the pee shooter for a WHOLE year no issues

3. Going single is less parts to deal with and in the end you whined up with a much cleaner engine bay that is a lot easier to work on

I agree..

4. I believe if done right with a single you can eliminate a lot of engine bay heat thus making everything else last longer

Everything needs to be right, Ceramic coating as much as you can helps a ton..

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
MNBmk3T;1879883 said:
Do not trust those damn turbos. They are horrible for reliability. Get a single turbo!
Most definitely replace the stock turbos. My stock 1J turbo fins deteriorated and sucked in while driving. NOT FUN. I have a driftmotion single turbo kit for sale if you and your dad decide to go that route. I sold my 91 Supra shell and the 2nd 1J I was planning on dropping in because money got tight. All I have left is the turbo kit, some pulleys, oil catch can, etc.
You'll be happy you went the 1J route. It's a huge difference from the 7MGE. I had the 7MGTE and the 1J still blew my mind. Enjoy the car. Take care of it and it will in turn take care of you.

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
IBoughtASupra;1880009 said:
This many posts and we are still talking about Twins? O jeez.

What do you want to talk about? Wiring up the harness? What transmission he's planning on running? If he's going to replace the PCV valve?

I guess everyone is trying to have him avoid the inevitable but you gotta learn somehow.

On a related note, if you would have asked me if the stock twins on a 1jz would be a worthy application to make some reliable streetable power before I started researching the engine, I would have said yes. It's Toyota. They don't do anything without reliability in mind. Wrong, I had no idea. Replace them bishes while it's out regardless of how excited you are to have a moving vehicle. You'll be coating your rear bumper in fossil fuels and lubrication in no time. The turbos are the only Achilles's tendon to the stock set up.

It's a wonderful engine(despite the nay sayers) which will reward you with years of good power, good availability of parts for a JDM only engine, and the type of exhaust note that all car folks alike will drool over. 400 wheel is easy on these things, which works out to be a pretty fun street car.

Change the turbos, it could kill that engine just as easy as a snapped timing belt if your not paying attention.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Turbo Habanero;1879764 said:
Or that the company that sold it to you really knows how many miles were on it lol
This. Unless they can prove it (which is difficult unless you get a front cut of the car its coming from), it can be hard to say just how many miles are on the car.

For what it is worth, my turbos have held up nicely enough, but we were pretty sure that one of them had been replaced in Japan. Looked WAY more fresh than the other turbo did. My reasoning for swapping for a single though? The twins choke the crap out of my head, but my head isn't 100% stock either. As is, the thing is going to be a handful unless you're used to 13 second cars. I recommend looking into brakes (ARZ) before you put too much effort into making more power, especially with that rear end you have. ;)

Speaking of the rear end, hopefully you have a car that came equipped with the sport package...

And to Notsafe1jz, how do you figure the twins crapping out would kill the motor?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
The way i've always felt about twin turbos is if you want to upgrade the turbo system it's going to be expensive, want a bigger turbo? You have to get two of them lol.

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
te72;1880091 said:
And to Notsafe1jz, how do you figure the twins crapping out would kill the motor?

Well maybe I should have chose my wording more carefully. Depending on how quickly it eats the seals, you could consume oil at an alarming rate. That mixed with negligence, running it low on oil could result in... Well I don't have to tell you.

It's a worse case scenario however it does happen. (I was more or less trying to convince OP that it's a good idea)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Notsafe1jz;1880082 said:
What do you want to talk about? Wiring up the harness? What transmission he's planning on running? If he's going to replace the PCV valve?

You must be new here....

I don't know what I am talking about.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Its funny how people dont talk about those front clips and salt...
If it is from Japan.. its salt soaked. (almost always) There is no way to get around it as they come via ship and they sit sometimes for years. Remember the age of these cars.
If you like playing russian roulette with engines.. just pop it in.. otherwise.. make sure you go through the engine carefully before dumping it in your car. Super simple to refresh an engine out of a car.. in the car? not so much.
Too many horror stories about swaps rolling around in my head.. lol... (and I didnt even talk about sand... lol)

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea what I plan on doing when I do a JZ swap is practically rebuild the entire motor, tear it apart, machine the block and head, replace the internals to handle 700hp but have 500hpish from the motor. Be like a new JZ motor.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
lol I just want to have my mind at peace like someone said earlier, "Do it right the first time". Since i'd have the motor I'd clean it up very well as well as the engine bay, replace every seal and gasket possible and put new parts in bam, new motor with 500hp that can handle 700+ and I can drive it to the track, thrash it, then drive it home.

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
you guys are amazing!! all the comments godo or bad are helping so much. so i guess a few of you know. i dont have the car im just getting info for my dad who has the car. He works at a dealership which is where the engine will be installed at. the actual engine wont be getting installed untill around thangsgiving. so we have a while. and from what i just read we need to use that time to fix/exchange all the things that would be a pain to get once its in. so on that note. can yall tell me things (besides going single) just in general i should do before the motors gets installed? thanks yall are awesome as shit. i am currently making a video on the project and once the engine is installed i will throw it on youtuge and post the link on this thread. thanks