1jz flywheel and clutch

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
I'm in the process of a 1jz swap and i noticed some surface rust on the flywheel and pressure plate.

I'm planning on buying an act HD PP and solid disk.

Now, should i resurface the original flywheel? or should i spend the extra on a light weight flywheel?

Also, where could i get my flywheel resurfaced? the local tuner shop said they could do it for $80-$100, and they were the ones to recommend the light flywheel.

I'm open to all options, any input would be greatly appreciated! thank you

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
if you plan on dailying the car, keep in mind a lightweight flywheel is no fun in stop and go traffic.Especially going uphill.
The extra weight that the stock flywheel has adds inertial weight to the crank so when the clutch engages the rpms dont drop as much as with a lighterweight.
Although its up to you to decide what you are looking for- a more direct feel and slight weight benefits or stock driveability.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
Also take into consideration that the stock flywheel, because of its size and material it will dissipate heat alot better then a light weight flywheel.

The nice thing about a light weight flywheel is the motor will rev up and down faster then with the stocker.
Like previously stated you have to upgrade and mod your car according to what you want to do with it. I say stick with the stock if you plan to daily the car.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I find my lightweight flywheel pretty easy to drive stop and go. Its only 13.7 vs the 11lbs and i have a 1pc ds too. But with a 6 puck i just rev it up a little and then let the clutch out.

Revs super quick too.

80-100 also seems high to me for a flywheel resurface. Most i had one done for was like 40$.

Also if you do machine it make sure they machine the back step so you dont lose and pressure from the pressure plate.