1JZ Finally Done! Tuning Issues!

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
Ok after a loooooong time, I am finally finished with the 1J.

Set up is :

1JZ Stock Block and Head
6265 Precision Turbo w/Billet Wheel
Tial Wastegate
DM BOV (Not Installed Yet)
440cc Inj from JDM 2JZ
Walbro 255
Aem Uego Wideband
Aem Truboost Gauge and Controller
Safc2
3' piping all the way back to Dual Top Speed Pro Mufflers

I drove the car a couple days ago and the exhaust note was exactly what i was looking for. It was a nice and cool night so temperature stayed between 200-220 F on my aftermarket gauge, which i believe is normal. And my wideband gauge was reading great for normal driving, but any time I started to boost a bit it would go lean. So i added some fuel using the safc2 and eventually got it to be around 10.xx under boost. Boost controller is set at 10 but i keep getting a spike up to 12 psi.

After that night ive decided to get it tuned at a local performance shop to let the pros get their hands on it. Went to drive the car today up to the shop and here we go......problem....

The car will not rev over 2k rpm whether driving or free revving, and when it does reach 2k rpm my wideband goes lean immediately!! Also my boost gauge goes from negative (Vacuum) to 0 awfully quick just sitting in neutral and giving it a couple revs.

All the vacuum lines look like they are still in the same spot and same goes for couplers on intercooler piping.........

IM STUMPED!! :icon_evil

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
IBoughtASupra;1834245 said:
Checked codes?
Any mods done to your fuel lines?

No mods to fuel lines. I did consider that, however, the car ran fine and ran great under boost for a good 3 hours. Im starting to think it might be an ignition problem......

Oh, and no check engine light on. so no codes .......

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
mkiiichip;1834315 said:
Leaking capacitors?

Im hoping not for the same reason I stated above. But then again with my luck capacitors probably started leaking today, the day I was gonna be finished with engine mods......for now lol

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
IBoughtASupra;1834364 said:
You have to jump the terminals for codes.

Im assuming it would be the same for the SC300, i just jump E1 and T1 right? I just couldnt get the hang of counting the amount of blinks the CEL gives me ...... :icon_mad:

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
87supraguy;1834371 said:
cracks on the coils? what Andy said above double check the codes, the CEL is operating correct?

I def. need to check the coils, as far as i know the CEL is working right.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Just because it was driving for 3 hours doesn't mean it couldn't be the capacitors. Take the ECU apart and check all the capacitors and the boards for anything abnormal.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Will have to update this post with how much power you eventually make once everything gets straightened out and tuned. I'm running a pretty similar setup in the future.

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
supra1008;1834529 said:
Just because it was driving for 3 hours doesn't mean it couldn't be the capacitors. Take the ECU apart and check all the capacitors and the boards for anything abnormal.

I will try to swap the ecu and see what happens then in that case.

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
te72;1834627 said:
Will have to update this post with how much power you eventually make once everything gets straightened out and tuned. I'm running a pretty similar setup in the future.

Oh i definitely will bro hahaha

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
Opened up the ECU and found absolutely nothing that looked remotely abnormal.

Unplugged TPS while car was running, car stuttered for a split second and then stayed idling fine. Tried to rev up past 2k with it unplugged still didn't make a difference. I guess next is checking ignition?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Couldn't hurt to check that your timing is still where it should be, mechanically. Buddy of mine had his car at BDC rather than TDC when doing his timing belt, car ran, but ran rather funny until that was straightened out. ;)

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
^Yea. good point check that. I did a timing belt on my friends z31 and accidently did that too and ran like shite! Put it to TDC and ran SO much better!!

WetLexus

Oct 2, 2010
St.Louis
Finally made the time between work and school to drive up to my car and pull codes.............. there it was Code 41!! thats the only code its throwing up. I looked it up and it is a code for TPS error. Guess I have to calibrate the TPS now. Kind of bittersweet though, im happy i found out the issue but read up a bit and seems like a B**** to calibrate it :(

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
WetLexus;1836917 said:
Finally made the time between work and school to drive up to my car and pull codes.............. there it was Code 41!! thats the only code its throwing up. I looked it up and it is a code for TPS error. Guess I have to calibrate the TPS now. Kind of bittersweet though, im happy i found out the issue but read up a bit and seems like a B**** to calibrate it :(

People make it difficult. If you sit down with the instructions, and take the time to understand why your doing what your doing, its simple.