Houston, Tx
p1076812_1.jpg

p1076812_2.jpg

p1076812_3.jpg

Ready?

p1076812_4.jpg

The starter. See something missing?

p1076812_5.jpg

Rod cap and the two mounting flanges for the starter.

and theeeeeeeeeennnn...

p1076812_6.jpg

p1076812_7.jpg

p1076812_8.jpg

Cracked the bellhousing.

p1076812_9.jpg

Pieces o' the block with a little bit of the oil pan.

And the final result:

p1076812_10.jpg

From what my buddy told me that I can remember, his A/F was reading all sorts of Lean. Under WOT, his wideband would stop giving a number and would just say LEAN. Cylinder #6 felt the pressure and couldn't handle it. Smashed a hole on each side of the block and finally exiting out of the oil pan taking the starter with it. He's bummed about it, but it gave him a reason to finally go 2JZ. He'll probably chime in more about it when he sees this thread.

So watch those A/F ratios, people! There could be more to it though if someone has an idea of what it could be.

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
Nice, his wideband says lean and he still stays on it boosting? I hate to say it but what did he expect to happen staying on boost with a lean a/f? Either you melt a couple pistons or that happens. Slap on a 2jz bottom end and call it a day i guess. Jesus christ, that looks horrible. I feel bad for that motor.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Your friend definitely needs to take better care of his motor. If he had enough sense to see that it was lean, he should have enough sense to stop boosting. I doubt that happened from a split second of going lean, he'd have to be on it for a good bit.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
GotTurbos?;1076923 said:
Your friend definitely needs to take better care of his motor. If he had enough sense to see that it was lean, he should have enough sense to stop boosting. I doubt that happened from a split second of going lean, he'd have to be on it for a good bit.

he already admitted he ran the motor way to lean. But theres nothing that can be done now but to move foward and learn from past mistakes

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
For the most part, he's a pretty conservative driver, hardly boosting at all with the way gas prices are. It happened on his way to work one morning. Casually driving then all of a sudden, he hears some knocking and a loud BOOM!

He thinks it could be due to the HKS F-Con that he purchased recently. Said it was previously tuned for a different set-up, but relatively close to what he was running according to the seller (whose name I will not release unless allowed to do so). But now, the F-Con has been removed.

In the mean time, he's working on getting his 2JZ swap ready to go in. If need be, he has two other 1JZ motors sitting in a storage unit that he could use.

As for the question of why he kept driving: as for many people on the board, it's his only car. It's hard to find someone that'll be willing to drive him clear across town to get to and from work and it doesn't help that he's a coworker's ride to work as well till said coworker gets his own car running. May not be a good enough reason for you guys, but that's how it is and I'm not going to discuss people's personal lives to justify said reasons.

And like someone said, It's a hard lesson learned, but we'll benefit from it.

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Thats ruff, Ive never seen such a catastrophic failure in a supra. It does remind me of a time I saw a rod sticking out of an a\c compressor on a 5sfe camry. Im sorry for the loss.