1JZ Build..HKS...Greddy..ACT..Chrome..You Might Like It.Dont Hate :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Today I installed the power steering pump, the A/C compressor and the fuel feed and return lines. I was going to install the alternator when I finished painting it, gave it a spin and head clicking noises. I am going to send the alternator to get rebuilt tomorrow. We have used this rebuilder before and everytime we tested an alternator, it shows 14.x volts.

I also trimmed a 2JZ lower timing cover to use it on the 1JZ since the block is a 1/2" shorter.

I was going through the engine and saw that my HKS cam retarded itself. I was like WTF? The bolts were basically hand tight and by turning the engine it just moved to full retard. That is why I barely felt any compression when turning the motor. I had to set them back and tighten it down and all the marks for the stock timing, 0 on the crank and cam marks, all line up. I turned the motor now and it feels a lot better.

Pictures....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I took the alternator to get rebuilt today. Nice to see the internals of them and how they get rebuilt. I also bolted on the lower timing cover, cleaned and painted the serpentine belt tensioner and did some polishing on the water neck. I have to go by some AN fittings to run braided lines from the two threaded vacuum fitting on the manifold to my blow off valve and AFPR.

Pictures..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I took of the two threaded vacuum ports and had custom fittings made so I can have them go into the manifold and have a -4AN male end. They only cost me six bucks. :)

Next, I wrapped up the manifold in Thermo-Tec heat wrap. I will have to get another box of straps since I did not have enough to secure the wrap on each runner how I wanted to. It has been two hours since I finished wrapping the manifold and I have washed my hands many time and this thing still itches.

I am hoping to get some work on the engine bay and get it grinded, primed and painted as well.

Pictures
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This wrap looks out of place but it will be secured once I get some more straps tomorrow.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bottom View

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I started on the harness yesterday and I managed to get a few plugs done but today I went through the rest of the engine harness and it was in pretty good shape. I put new loom after removing the old brittle stock loom. I am not a fan of putting new loom over the old loom kind of work.

When I was going through the harness today, the intake air temperature sensor plug wires were exposed after the rubber seal on the plug and it was cracks since it was extremely brittle. I ended up cutting the wires in two different places to keep the soldering points separated and then I wired in two pieces of new 16 gauge wire, soldered it and used two layers of heat shrink to cover up the soldering points.

The coolant temperature sensor plug wires are fine but the tab on the plug in broken which is common on a lot of Toyotas.
I will be calling Aaron tomorrow to see if he knows what terminals I have to order to use on the IAT sensor plug and I will order a new coolant temepature plug as well. All of my coil pack connectors are fine, none are cracked, but I will still depin them and replace them because they do eventually crack. It only takes a minute to depin a connector if you look at it carefully the first time.

I posted a picture of what my shirt looked like after all the work. I was working on the harness from 11AM-8:30PM with a hour break I took for lunch. That took a lot out of me.

Before:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I was going to start on the engine bay today but I have been working on the car since the 15th of this month everyday from about 9AM to 12AM-1AM in the morning so I took a break.

My bad was hurting from doing that harness all day yesterday so I had to take a break.

I am hoping to start the engine bay Friday and have it done by Saturday afternoon.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I just ordered some Toyota connectors and pins from DriftMotion to repair a broken coolant temperature plug and a broken map sensor plugs. Both plugs work fine but that tab that holds them in place is cracked on the Map sensor plug and is not there on the coolant sensor plug and I don't want any of them to come off when driving. :nono:

I shipped some parts today and that was it and relaxed yesterday and today, so when Friday comes, I am hoping to get into the engine bay and grind down the last welding point, sand, prime and paint. I am also planning to throw on these Wilwood brakes along with new suspension pieces in the front. New tie rods, lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and stabalizer links. I am going to remove the stock power steering cooler and put in my own that will be relocated on the driver side. :D

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1704089 said:
Only if you actually use it :p
(ocd thing I can't stand my hands being dirty)

That was before I got home, I always leave my hands dirty when working. Shoots, imagine when I was doing that gearbox. I smelled like gear oil and white grease all day for two weekends.

Gear oil is the worst.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dunno I think Diff oil is slightly worse, one of my side projects involved making replacement parts for an assembly, the red grease they used smelled like unwashed cooter... it was rank :(

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I need to find some cheap working shirts. I hate working with gloves though but I have a set of old T-Shirts I use during the summer.

This project has made me gone through so many shirts since I hate wearing our shop uniform since it makes me itch. :(

Hey Ian, if I give you specs, would you be able to run me a power steering pump shaft bearing? Such as Inner diameter, Outer diameter and height?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Today, I finished the harness with the two IAT sensor wires that I had soldered and the flux was not removed. After talking to Ian, he said it could be a little corrosive, so to prevent it, I bought lead free no flux solder and redid it today.

I also started on the engine bay. I left the bare metal exposed so some rust was there but I started to sand it down and finished it off with my dremel tool. I also washed the areas, primed it and filled the spots that was showing. I left it to dry well overnight and I will sand and paint the bay tomorrow.

I removed the stock intercooler which is for sale if anyone wants it. Shoot me an offer.

Harness

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Engine Bay

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Intercooler

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Body Shots Since I Bought The Car. Took The Mudflap Off To Clean Out The Leaves.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Interior, the car is clean but the dust has been piling up since I got it because I was working on the motor.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Power Steering Cooler Replacement
sm_photo_missing.jpg

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Man its so painful to see all the rust on stuff...I dont think I could own a car back east all the corrosion would piss me off beyond belief. Im spoiled here in AZ with our 5-10% humidity

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
@ Dustin, it is only surface rust. Nothing penetrated. The bare metal was left to weeks of rain so it was expected. I just rubbed it off and the dremel tool took care of it. I then primed it with the primer I used on my last car since it did not flake at all and I am giving it overnight to dry well before I wet sand and clean everything for the final time.

What power steering cooler do you recommend? How come you are not happy with what you chose, did not work efficiently or do you mean space wise, it was not a good choice?

We used the same cooler on a GM transmission and it worked fine. It is actually a transmission cooler which will work since the power steering system in the MKIII uses Dexron 3.