1jz auto to R154 swap?

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
So my buddy and I are going to build a 1jz swap in a 240sx. We are going to buy it with the automatic tranny since it's cheaper.

My buddy, however, really really wants the car to be standard. So I told him that there is a relatively strong R154 tranny. I was wondering what it takes to swap out the automatic tranny to the R154/1jz bellhousing?

I'm assuming what I need is just the bellhousing, a clutch possibly and flywheel, and perhaps driveshaft. Anything else that you can think of?

Would everything be easier to swap into a MKIII supra? Stock driveshaft/diff etc?

Thanks

Rick

Last edited:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
1J bellhousing and flywheel, 2J clutch with 7M bolt pattern drilled in. Everything behind the tranny would be fine in an MkIII, I'd think you'd need a custom DS in a 240 unless they're randomly the same length

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
you want a 1jz bellhousing, and 1j flywheel, any 7m-gte clutch and flywheel will fit perfectly fine, i don't know why use a 2jz clutch? for that much effort what is the diff? don't think it would even fit under taht condition

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
im doing that in my build thread (going from auto to manual) i would suggest going to a driveshaft shop, giving them the piece that goes into the r154 and give them the piece that goes into the diff and say "make a one piece for me!:)" (note now is the time to ask for aluminum! it'll be much cheaper than online!)

1jzgte bellhousing
1jzgte flywheel
new flywheel bolts
a clutch for a 1jzgte/7mgte
the driveshaft, easy huh!