1G help.!!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I have a friend with a 1G and his clutch is practically gone...

he tried a clutch kit for a 7MGE seeing as it has the same tranny (w58), however it's different and won't fit..

I remember Kaizen saying it's more mechanically related to a celica (the w58), but what parts? Should he get the entire clutch kit for (I'm assuming) Celica with a 22RE/w58..?

or is this a mix/match affair..?

also, he has a sard BOV, upgraded IC, upgraded radiator, metal IC pipes, 3 inch down pipe, and a 3 inch exhaust, so we're not sure a stock kit will last long as we want to perform more power mods to it...

any recommendations on finding parts in the US?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
sounds good Jose, but the thing is he wants one that'll hold more power..

or do you think the (new) clutch will be okay, and he just needs to upgrade the pressure plate..?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Oh, and for an update, thanks for the help everyone, but he actually got a 3SGTE clutch to fit, and she's been running great ever since..!

so a heads up to USDM owners afraid to get a 1G because of lack of parts, a 3SGTE clutch will work...

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Quote: so a heads up to USDM owners afraid to get a 1G because of lack of parts, a 3SGTE clutch will work...

But what about everything else?! And it's only 2 liters... so a heads up to usdm owners afraid of torque, there is an alternative to the M or JZ families!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
2L twin turbo, super high redline, ability to rev, basic BPU and a Yamaha head, came factory supercharged in certain applications, so it's possible to twin charge using OEM hardware, and it weighs a couple hundred pounds less..

yeah, what about everything else..?

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
RazoE;1499731 said:
2L twin turbo, super high redline, ability to rev, basic BPU and a Yamaha head, came factory supercharged in certain applications, so it's possible to twin charge using OEM hardware, and it weighs a couple hundred pounds less..

sounds cool in theory... but I'm sure it won't be so light after twin charging it and the cost to get the oem hardware to do so shipped to the states and put together and tuned so it won't be a paper weight would probably be outrageous. And didn't yamaha have a hand in some jz development too or is this just rumored? I swear I've seen a 1j with yamaha badging stamped on it... And how efficient do you think twin charging a 2 liter motor would be? but to each their own, right? All I'm sayin is that from every aspect it just doesn't seem practical. Unique for sure, but not practical... Have fun though

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Well Mr. Negative. You're making an awesome first impression...
So, you don't like the 1G. Huh, I suppose thats why you don't have one?
If you don't like it, you don't have to push the subject.
As far as practical goes, come on... I suppose your Supra is "practical"? Right...

I, personally, would love one. Almost bought one, still wish I did.

Thanks for the heads up, RazoE. I wouldn't mind owning one some day, and this helps make it more realistic.

BTW, there is a TON of old-school upgrades for these engines. HKS made a shitload of parts for the 1G. Stroker kits, single turbo kits, etc.

Enough to make 400+whp...

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
RazoE;1499731 said:

They make roughly the same amount of power as an N/A 7M with less torque with a pair of CT12s, and the supercharged version made even less power and torque than that. They had a factory W2A intercooler setup, which is not something you see very often in a Supra.

Definitely an interesting power plant, but not one I'd pick if I was looking for big numbers. I've considered buying one in the past, just to have a semi-unique car.

Edited after a quick search of the interwebs and Jeff Lange's brain.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, stock they're not so much, but my friend's 1G has a couple of upgrades, including a 3" downpipe, 3.5" catback exhaust with a test pipe, upgraded IC, radiator and IC hardpipes, but a full sound system, with custom speakers on the door panels, and rear panels, and a giant sub in the back and lambo doors, so it definitely hauls ass for its weight...

On the freeway, he's just as fast as my 7M, with 3" recirculated divorced downpipe, 3" full catback with test pipe, upgraded IC, IC hardpipes, and Lexus IS coils, CF hood and removed A/C compressor..

we're both on W58's with 4.30's, so it's definitely not an issue of gearing...

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
supra90turbo... I'm sure HKS did make all that stuff and I'm sure it helped, but how hard is it to find all those things and then how much and how long to get it here? Like I said, it'd be unique, but impractical. And yes, my supra is practical. I took a superclean 86.5 and cut it into tiny pieces after stripping the things I could use off of it and it PRACTICALLY fit into the bed of a tundra on the way to scrap it for extra money to finish my cressida. That car's practical too. On a positive note (didn't want to give you too much negativity), it fits more bitches, will possibly be faster one day than a few supras and my insurance will always be cheaper than yours. And it won't get half the looks from the police your supra will.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
1GGTE is a great engine. I see those HKS parts come up on yahoo auctions all the time. We have dyno'ed a 1GGTE before and it put down 215 RWHP in stock form. That is 15 hp more then a stock 7MGTE.

@ Vrank

Your attitude is horrible. Telling someone that you took a super clean 86.5 and cut it in to pieces, is like taking someones favorite baseball card and ripping it in half right in from of their face. The Cressida is a great car and I would never talk crap about it, but since you are on the offensive, my Grandma drives ones. Does that mean that she gets bitches too?

Just a heads up. If this attitude continues, I would suggest you to leave.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
RazoE;1505373 said:
yeah, stock they're not so much, but my friend's 1G has a couple of upgrades, including a 3" downpipe, 3.5" catback exhaust with a test pipe, upgraded IC, radiator and IC hardpipes, but a full sound system, with custom speakers on the door panels, and rear panels, and a giant sub in the back and lambo doors, so it definitely hauls ass for its weight...

On the freeway, he's just as fast as my 7M, with 3" recirculated divorced downpipe, 3" full catback with test pipe, upgraded IC, IC hardpipes, and Lexus IS coils, CF hood and removed A/C compressor..

we're both on W58's with 4.30's, so it's definitely not an issue of gearing...

Pics???

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
To all of those involved. This is RazoE's thread about his friends 1g. If you don't have something constructive to add, go to another thread or start your own thread comparing apples to oranges. All of us are different and we all like different things. Nobody has to like what someone else has to like, but we can also do withouth the hateraid in someone else's thread. Have a great day and please send me newds of your girlfriends.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
I never said I GET bitches soap, just that it FITS more... for your gma, that just means she can fit more of whatever it is she likes. I'm sure that the 1g is a decent motor, I just figure you could get a better power and torque curve out of the usal suspects for way less money and less downtime if something breaks. And I feel that heavier cars like the supra are more suited to bigger displacement engines. Now a 1g powered ae86 or 82ish Toyota pick-up would definitely be interesting though... but to each their own. The guy who actually owns the 1g supra gets cool points in my book for doing something different. I just disagreed with the statement of the original poster about people being afraid of the 1g due to lack of parts... I'm sure that's part of it to some, but most are probably looking for the most power per dollar and the m and jz series can't be beat there. Plus it's been done and documented a million times, so it's easier for most to put together.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Vrank!!!;1505887 said:
I never said I GET bitches soap, just that it FITS more... for your gma, that just means she can fit more of whatever it is she likes. I'm sure that the 1g is a decent motor, I just figure you could get a better power and torque curve out of the usal suspects for way less money and less downtime if something breaks. And I feel that heavier cars like the supra are more suited to bigger displacement engines. Now a 1g powered ae86 or 82ish Toyota pick-up would definitely be interesting though... but to each their own. The guy who actually owns the 1g supra gets cool points in my book for doing something different. I just disagreed with the statement of the original poster about people being afraid of the 1g due to lack of parts... I'm sure that's part of it to some, but most are probably looking for the most power per dollar and the m and jz series can't be beat there. Plus it's been done and documented a million times, so it's easier for most to put together.

My Supra corner balanced at 3375. Three amps, a sub and a 200 cd case LOL. Its not gutted and it has AC and heater. Most people think Supras are heavy, they are not.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
soapra;1506353 said:
My Supra corner balanced at 3375. Three amps, a sub and a 200 cd case LOL. Its not gutted and it has AC and heater. Most people think Supras are heavy, they are not.

wow, that's not bad at all considerig it has a full system. Guessin by your avatar that you're 1jz vvti in a mk3? R154 or W58? leather and the whole nine yards? Still got a 2 pc shaft?

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Vrank!!!;1506909 said:
wow, that's not bad at all considerig it has a full system. Guessin by your avatar that you're 1jz vvti in a mk3? R154 or W58? leather and the whole nine yards? Still got a 2 pc shaft?

No leather, but it has two bucket seats in it. Lighter then stock but still not by much. R154 and factory two piece driveshaft. all the carpet is in and rear sets, full spare.