1992 Toyota Supra Starter

UpbeatFish

Permanently Banned
Oct 4, 2007
Fail town
does this starter look like a supra starter to you?
ive had it for a while and i dont know if it fits

Attachments

• DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00743.JPG
    DSC00743.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 32

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
i think you and all of us know how much of a bi*** it is to replace the starter haha

i thought i'd share some info on the topic, just did mine yesterday.

- air ratchet
- two 14mm Swivels
- 10mm, 12mm, 13mm
- Extension that's about a a 1'5" long
- 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm wrench
- Pliers, Screwdriver, Phillips Screwdriver
- hydraulic jack AND jack stand (be safe)
- AND another person

that's all i used i believe, did it at home on the ground too. The air ratchet, swivels, and long extension made it super easy! or at least easier than before! haha, the other person is for when you have the car jacked on a a stand. get under it, use the long extension and the 14mm swivel put in the on top bolt to hold it in place, use a wrench for the bottom, then have the other person on top using the air ratchet and the other swivel for both nuts..

and the other way that made it super easy was to take off the intake manifold (top section only) i left the runners connected to the motor. it's easy to do so as well dont be intimidated by the sound of it. =P

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Take off the upper intake WhAT! Its easy guys come on. Bout 3ft of extensions a swivel and a socket. Have your friend hold to othe bolt from the top. I've changed like 10 of these...I can do it in like 15 minutes now.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 91 and 92 are easier to change than the earlier. Toyota threaded the holes on the starter, instead of a bolt and nut.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I just bought this set at Sears for the sole purpose of having it when I nee to start the top bolt, and keep some of my skin. It will hold a bolt without dropping it, and keep it straight so that you can start it without cross threading. You do have to use common sense enough to not force the bolt, but you could actually get that top bolt started if that is a 92 starter with threaded holes. If not, go in with an extension from back near the slave cylinder using one of these sockets. So far, it helped greatly as I swapped my clutch master cylinder yesterday.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ame=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Sockets

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Nick M;1215822 said:
The 91 and 92 are easier to change than the earlier. Toyota threaded the holes on the starter, instead of a bolt and nut.

thats funny. i think the others are easier. all it takes is a 14mm wrench to get on the back nut on the bell housing side. then a 6 inch extension with a deep 14mm socket that can sneak behind the starter leaving plenty of room for a rachet and your hand under the intake. maybe a 20mins in and out. no jack stands. no crawling under the car. really its not that hard.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
black89t;1217071 said:
thats funny. i think the others are easier. all it takes is a 14mm wrench to get on the back nut on the bell housing side. then a 6 inch extension with a deep 14mm socket that can sneak behind the starter leaving plenty of room for a rachet and your hand under the intake. maybe a 20mins in and out. no jack stands. no crawling under the car. really its not that hard.

There is nothing easier about holding a nut and driving a bolt into it, than running a bolt into a fixed hole.

I don't think either is hard.

TomFraser

tbcmorris;1215916 said:
i have the snap on hardened set of those there great for fubared bolts

normally i'm not one to say that snap on is worth the extra cost, (unless you use your tools daily), but the rounded bolt remover set pretty much needs to be snap on, as all the other brands will end up wearing out after a couple bolts (i've tried all different brands, and finally waited for the snap on truck)

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Open end wrench with the head cut off and welded at 90 degree angle to the handle,makes it real easy to reach it from underneath by yourself.