1990 supra turbo

aubiesfan

Feb 12, 2012
alabama
I'm having trouble with my car not firing..it will turn over but not crank, its only getting a small red spark off the plug..any ideas

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
aubiesfan;1806215 said:
I'm having trouble with my car not firing..it will turn over but not crank, its only getting a small red spark off the plug..any ideas

It will turn over and not crank? What do you mean? Does it keep cranking when you hold the key and does not start up and run?

Is your car turbo or non-turbo? The CPS wires always seem to cause this issue. List some specs and mods and we will see if we can help you out.

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
A red spark is interesting, I have only ever seen blue spark from plugs myself, but if you are getting fire on all 6 cylinders, check to make sure it is getting fuel (ie. fuel pump is running, rail is pressurized, injectors firing). Where in AL are you from? I see that you are obviously an Auburn fan so, welcome and WAR EAGLE! What is the year and model of your car (I'm assuming it is a Supra)? As iboughtasupra stated, this information would be very beneficial.

James

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
I feel like an idiot and must do some slight post whoring to correct myself as the PS3 doesn't let me edit posts. The title of the thread is 1990 supra turbo so....yeah.....scratch the part where I asked what year and model it is....Also though, you may want to check your relays and fuses. You can usually feel the relays "click" when they jump.

aubiesfan

Feb 12, 2012
alabama
my dad said he use to have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get it to crank...it would sound like its running on one cylinder and after a few seconds it would level off and sound and run fine....this is't normal thou
it will turn over as long as you turn the switch...just not crank

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You'll have to excuse JamesMoney.....he an Auburn fan!

You can use a jumper wire between fp and B+ in the diagnostic block next to the under hood fuse box. This should set your fuel pump into motion if it is working. Also, if there is a fuel leak, it will not start. You need 3 things to run........Spark, fuel, and timing. You have spark, and fuel is easy to verify. If those both chec out, we can help with timing. Of course, the CPS wiring can also effect it, and is a very common problem.

Also, you didn't answer James' question. What part of Bama are you in?

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
could be a bad spot in your TPS as well. if you have to hold the peddle to the floor to get it to start. i had that issue with my N/A way back when. i just unplugged it and it actually ran better. i eventually got a new one and soldered a new plug on. and yes the CPS is usually the culprit, check your pump, also may want to check your cold start. really though, we need more info....