1987 MK3 Resto

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
So I've taken a bit of a long hiatus. Lost a lot of motivation to work on this because it was cold out. I also bought two dirtbike and have loved those in the mean time. Mainly I was terrified of hooking the engine back up. Currently I am plugging things in and routing vacuum lines as best I can.

Anyone know how to route the iscv? Im not sure what the nipple on the bottom side runs to. I've searched and found the block but can't figure it out

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
gaboonviper85;1833813 said:
It goes to the coolant port under the intake but still in the head...right under the intake runners.

HUGE Help. Thanks so much. Below is a shot of what i had it routed to. Definitely not correct, i beleive that i had it going to the vac line that connect to the power steering pump

vac.jpg

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I am so close to having the engine ready for start attempt, or at least a turn over. I went to walmart to get some gear oil for the transmission. I figured I would start marking things off my checklist. I bought 3 quarts of 75w-90 gear oil and some snacks. Got home and poured it all into the shifter slot. I still need to bolt that down.

Next I went to install the drivers seat. I figured it was a good idea since I will need to bleed the clutch and that would be a pain with no seat. So I threw the seat in and plugged it in. Realizing it was as far forward as it would go, and it being a power seat I went to hook up the battery to move it back. This was a big mistake.

I started going wrong here. I didn’t have all my ground straps hooked up properly, and didn’t have the alternator installed or wired. I grabbed the fresh charged battery, connected the positive, and then the ground and as I did the alternator wire started sparking on the intake manifold. Big oops. Then I saw some smoke come out.

I go around to check the dash, no lights, turn the key – no power. This was my worst fear. Figuring I fried every piece of electronics in the car I thought the worst. Then realized that maybe I just blew a fuse. So I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment. They looked ok. Then I checked the fuse block in the kick panel. Pulled out every single one and they were fine. Went inside to take a look at the TSRM and see where the ground points are and why this happened.

I went back out to the car, put the alternator on, tightened the ground wires and buttoned everything up. Checked the dash, still nothing. I decided to give the engine compartment one more check. Sure enough the 100amp alternator fuse was blown. What a relief that was. So now I am just hoping that means that’s the only damage done. I also destroyed what I thought was the fusebox trying to get it out, but it’s a fuseable link so it is bolted in, not pop in like the other fuses. I got lucky again. I will pick one up tomorrow and cross my fingers
front2.jpg

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
[video=youtube;77CMVTcDRGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77CMVTcDRGk&[/video]

Any feedback for me. Also A shit ton of oil came out. Over a quart, looked like from the exhaust side but i couldnt tell where

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
#1.
Did you tighten up the turbo oil feed and drain lines?
That's thge big one that people overlook.
Sounds good, but whats that whining sound?

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Thought I had everythign tightened. There was at least a quart of oil on the ground from that long running it. I ran over, and nothing was coming out. Very strange. No idea where its coming from but I will have to get a better look from the turbo drain.

In that video, theres no exhaust, from the turbo, no belts hooked up besides power steering, and no alternator, so no fan belt. Could have been any of those things. I could only get it to run like this with the throttle about half way down. I am not sure if the timing is off, although Im pretty sure its good, or if its a CPS or TPS issue.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The fewer belts/ accessories you have connected, the less chance of a whine, so...?
Yes, your cps is off. Try loosening the hold-down bolt and advancing it a bit. If you don't have enough room to advance it to get ~800rpm, then you are one tooth off.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
When I was fixing a few friends 7M-GTE cars the same thing happend, a ton of oil came out of it only after running for a few seconds. It was the turbo drain, got a new gasket and some black rtv and fixed it. It was a major PitA to work on... After doing that on two different cars, I plan on using flex hoses if I ever get back into the 7M world...

The whine almost sounds like the PS pump needing fluid.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Yep, whine must be from the PS pump. Theres no fluid in it. And I will check the turbo today. I have the softline kit from DM and its installed, so heres to hoping it wont be too devilish to work on. to advance the CPS do I turn it clockwise or counter clockwise?

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
009.jpg

The circled area in green is i think where the leak is coming from. I tightened the oil return line from the oil cooler. The No leaks at the filter, or filter housing. What goes on where I have circled?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
A blank cover.
Can't remember if you turn CW or CCW to advance timing, but you'll know as soon as you try- the idle will either go up or down.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I have the cover on but i think i saw a leak coming from it. Is that possible? I cant get the car to idle enough to even warrant being to touch the cps so it must be way off

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Its a blank cover, but there is a gasket for it, if you get another pair of eyes try the same thing and watch from the underside. If theres a leak in that seal it will piss oil fast. I like the progress so far. In the mk3 world there is nothing more important than
knowing your engine.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
So I had to take the filter housing off to get to that blank cover. I took it off and to my amazement/stupidity. Look what I found. Now, I can't say for certain it was like this when I reinstalled it, or if this happened while it was starting. Either way it was not a new gasket and I'm stupid. But the fastest way to learn everything about something is to do the job multiple times.

Bad%20Gasket.jpg

So yeah Im feeling I just reinstalled it thinking "its fine" Hitting myself.

New%20Gasket.jpg

So I cut a new gasket and reinstalled it. Next is to refill it with oil, and check the CPS. I feel like the timing is way off, timing belt seems to be ok, everything lines up, so hopefully its just the CPS.

Attachments

• 20120808_192044.jpg
    20120808_192044.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 9

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Backlash2032;1862741 said:
I believe the aus. Spec oil cooler hooks to that port.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

This port is the outlet/regulator used on the GE Oil Cooler System...