josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
OK today i went to weigh the car front and back and the total is 1340 kg 10 kg less than the last time due a new rear diffuser in carbono , 750 kg front and 590 kg rear
it had aprox 20 ltrs of fuel ( 20 kg ), the pasenger seat on (11 kg), a set of especial emergency tools (5 kg) and a 5 kg lighter flat floor waiting to be fitted total arround 40 kg less

without the pasenger seat and rails and without fuel in it but with street tyres.....wet weigh is 1300 kg !!!

now i like more.
policarbonate windows (all except the front one) don t kow but maybe -15 kg in total?
fixed lights -7 kg
removing the heater box and blower motor maybe -5 kg
removing the water methanol another -5 kg
removing the electric paddelshift system - 3 kg
lighters radiators both arround -4 kg
door paneling both -6 kg
windows regulators , dont know but maybe -6 kg

in total maybe -50 kg ???

1.250 kg supra Mk3 with a 2jzgte vvti single turbo with tomei cams and 1.2 BAR ,will it be sufficient to win the time attack championchip next year????

ok here is the situation ... is worth the efforth to reduce the weight to 1250Kg ???

the last thing to remove is the dashboard but it is not heavy so how it is posible that Benami supra weight 1050 kg !! is imposible
with out cage and with out aero bits i can low till 1200 kg that is the minimum weigh we can have on a Supra MK3 but remember that, i have ceramic brake disc (15 less ) they dosnt exits on the 80" and 90" !! and carbono doors, carbono hood and many parts that wasnt posile to be removed on those days when the MK3 was racing,
with a cage fitted ,less than 1250 kg is not posible if usind the original body and frame.
well on a NA supra ... no turbo , no intercooler and what more to remove 200 kg ??

I have a very light and simple roll cage of chromo
carbono doors
ceramic front brake rotors
no parking brake
also i have a simple pedal box!!
lightened suspension front and rear
ligth fuel tank
no brake booster
no ABS
no air cond
no bumpers reinforcement ( changed for aluminum ones)
glass fibre bumpers
carbon fibre side strips
tower bars in aluminium
nascar aluminium steering rack
aluminium short drivesahft
all of those to get 1300 kg !!!
what i dont have done is to removed the paint under the car floor but i dont know if that anti-stone paint is really heavy because if not ... i don know how they did.

conclusions....
some one is laying.
the solution is not the 3sgte because some were say it weigh 124 kg
the 2Jzgte is heavier than the 7Mgte
fitting a 2.0 lt turbo cosworth with an aluminum block will be arround 60 kg less but it will left the actual weight in 1200 kg with cage with out aero bits -20 kg 1180 kg.... without swaybars -10 kg 1170 kg ... without dashboard -5 kg 1165 kg ....with out the under floor paint -5 ? 1160 kg ..... with out adjustable seat rails -3kg 1157 kg..... front galss in plexi maybe -5 kg 1152 kg.... rear hatch door in carbono + aluminum wheel hubs + carbono wheels + carbono fenders +.... maybe 1130 kg but what is the money we need to waste for it?

i will try to low the weight next year till 1250 kg and see how fast it can be.

Last edited:

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
I support you reducing more weight, I like a lot of your ideas with the exception of the radiator. The only way I see the radiator getting lighter is to make it smaller or really thin wall end tanks? I would look doing your windows way before putting to risk your cooling.

Also is the flat floor for under car aero or just weight reduction?

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
hi! again
i forget to say also i am using an Antgravity battery which only weight 2,5 kg!!

the "flat floor" i am refering is the aero thing i fitted under the car,the two middle pannels are in playwood of 5 or 7 mm (dont remeber well) and now will be in 3 mm , the rear diffuser now is very light and i am trying to reducing the rest, but the flat foor work very well in my Supra but is true that to know exactly if is better with or without it i will need to do some track test.

the idea is to reduce the weight in front of the axel and there is the Beams and the radiators.
I thing we are using too big intercoolers , with the intake pipe routed to outside of the engine bay the air temp in my car now is allways very low, i will check the IAT when pushing hard very well before touch it anyway.

the 3 row water radiator i am using is heavy aswell and the temperature also with thermostat fitted, on the track is 90º and goes down to 84 º very quickly when not pushing, using a good two row radiator well mounted .... will be suficient i think.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A thought nobody likes discussing because it isn't native is that the LS aluminum block is supposed to be 100 lbs lighter. Not a difficult swap and many benefits. Not sure of benefits when comparing full swap to original, because driveshaft to rad has to be changed. (You can keep the r154 but a tremec 5050 6 speed is appealing...

Just throwing the thought out there.

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
Grandavi;2080486 said:
A thought nobody likes discussing because it isn't native is that the LS aluminum block is supposed to be 100 lbs lighter. Not a difficult swap and many benefits. Not sure of benefits when comparing full swap to original, because driveshaft to rad has to be changed. (You can keep the r154 but a tremec 5050 6 speed is appealing...

Just throwing the thought out there.

I agree and there is nothing like a stroked na small block on the track either..........................

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow, super nice and light, the closest I ever got to this was 1474KG, or 3250LBS.

I curious, do you actually know of where you can get an aluminium block 2jz, or did I misunderstand the conversation.

Do you have any video footage of your car on the Nurnbergring, I used to live minutes from there and would love to see this, made extra sweet because of a MKIII on it.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Flateric;2081892 said:
Wow, super nice and light, the closest I ever got to this was 1474KG, or 3250LBS.

I curious, do you actually know of where you can get an aluminium block 2jz, or did I misunderstand the conversation.

Do you have any video footage of your car on the Nurnbergring, I used to live minutes from there and would love to see this, made extra sweet because of a MKIII on it.
No i dont have videos , only photos
I was looking to see if will it be posible to buy the block in aluminium but the only one now is to use on a drags compettition engines. Not for street use.
Hard job to get the supra as low as it is now but allways with patience and Money is posible to lower the weight more jajajaja