12 volt mod tip/discovery

nacho8705

Nov 8, 2008
Spokane, WA
Hey guys,

I Just did the 12 volt mod and bypassed the resistor to run the fuel pump always at 12 volts. This is done to simplify tuning so that you dont have to 'tune around' the switch from 9v to 12v. All the other guides and posts I have read say to do this with a thick piece of wire on the harness side.

I was looking for a wire to do this and found something else that works much better and is very common:

a blue spade connector.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Hopefully this helps some people. I just wrapped it in electrical tape to make sure it wouldn't ground out.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
So, how did you complete the circuit?
It's been a while since I performed this mod', but I'm fully certain that the appropriate power wires per se, is within the gray circular connector shown in the first pic.

nacho8705

Nov 8, 2008
Spokane, WA
Hmm. I never found any pictures when i searched before, just that the resistor was on the passenger side. I assumed the thing i unplugged was it because it had a heat sink on it to dissipate heat. The grey round plug goes to the relay IIRC, and i still want that to work, but i want it to work at 12 volts all the time. Can anyone else chime in with advice?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I think that clip the spade is in has two wires in it...one 12 volt leading to the relay and the output determined by the relay. Spade just reroutes it to the output.

Could very well be wrong, because I don't feel like digging through the EWD or searching threads for exactly how/why it works...but it's a pretty darn good guess.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
It does work & I mentioned it before!
Your remove the metal ribbed resistor pack it haves a 2 pin connector black-red & a black wire going to it .
You then remove the fuel pump control relay.
Then you insert a jumper from pin 2 to pin 3 of the relay in the same corner.
Pin 2 haves a black-red wire in it, pin 3 haves a blue-black wire in it.
The connector at the relay haves 4 pins on it total and its located at the back left corner of the engine bay looking toward the back of the car.
After doing this mod you can do a wire tuck and put the un-used 2 connectors in the fender.

Last edited:

nacho8705

Nov 8, 2008
Spokane, WA
So I checked the TSRM and all the other threads about how to do the 12 volt mod. my way is apparently a little different. My way just eliminates the resistor so that when 9 volts is supposed to be there, it is actually 12v.

FI_114.gif

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
This is very old news, and has been done for years. ;)

I advise against doing the 12v mod unless you're planning to run the fuel pump off a new relay, with good wire powering it. Don't rely on the 20+yr old factory wiring to push 12v/xA to your fuel pump, especially if it's an upgraded pump.

In other words, don't do the 12v mod if you aren't rewiring the pump.

nacho8705

Nov 8, 2008
Spokane, WA
shaeff;1553297 said:
This is very old news, and has been done for years. ;)

I searched and searched and couldn't find it. link?

So I did what has been done for years by putting the spade connector into the harness side of the resistor connector?