$1,000 Dollar paint jobs in TN or TX?

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I'd like to have my MKIII sanded down and repainted sometime this year. With maybe a few layers of clear coat? I'm not really sure about that part. I just want the same factory color of black same as what's on the car currently.

How much should I have to pay if I get a paint job done in Nashville or El Paso? Keep in my I'm just trying to get something decent. As long as the paint last for awhile and keeps up in apperance I'll be happy.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Not trying to be rude but generally you get what you pay for.

If you plan on keeping your car for short term then you would probably be better off just saving the money and putting it towards your next car.

If your plans are long term then I would wait/save for quality paint job. My point is you usually don't get your money back out of the car if your trying to sell it. It's very rare that someone will give you full value for what you have put in the car.

Either way good luck.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
We got a low baller!

sorry man I had to do it just save some more money and look around I bet you could get a good deal on one for about 1600-1800 were you could spend 1000$ at maco and it will look like shit and your beat for a G so just look around and wait.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Honestly, if you want a CHEAP paint job, do the prep work yourself.

I've seen the local Maaco do actually decent work, when someone brought them a well-prepped vehicle to paint, and for cheap!

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
If you arent spending much denfinetley don't get clearcoat. Proper prep for clear should include wetsanding. It is a lot of work so its more money. Arcrylic is the way to go if you aren't paying much because more money will go into better bodywork.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Whatever.Go to carquest and buy a gallon of clear and a gallon of paint and the reducer and shit for both.Will be less than $350 for Nason(which dupont makes). If your paint is not bad (no chips or bad scratches) sand with 400 and wetsand and get it resprayed somewhere. If if you know how to prep yourself you will save a ton of money.
Just make sure you have someone who will just spray it cause a few places around me didnt want to touch it if they didnt do to body work.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
He doesn't seem like the type equipped to do his own body work thats why I said what I did.

And yes body shops will often not want to touch the car if the body work is questionable. They don't want their name on something thats going to turn out like shit.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Cheap clear comes off in in LARGE flakes a couple years later...

an OEM quality paintjob will run double or tripple what you're thinking...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
My "cheap" paint has been on for almost 2 years now and looks just as good as it did the day i got it painted. And yea if you have no idea what your doing then please please let some one else paint it for you. Your looking at somewhere around $3k generally for a complete paint job depending on how much body work is needed.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I got my paint done for $1100 with prep. Ask anyone who has seen it and it is pretty good. Every one is always surprised at the price I paid.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
i had a friend who had a small shop here in oklahoma. his work was amazing yet he did not charge an arm and a leg. he painted my car about two years ago for $650 and it still looks great. of course he cut me an awesome deal, but he usually charged like 1000-1200 depending on the car.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
yea find a shop that will paint it if u do the prep work. like said earlier wetsand the whole thing with 400 grit. sand all the clear off but dont try to sand down to primer and use single stage paint(doesnt need clear). thats how i painted my truck and it turned out great, and only cost 350 bucks! i did paint it myself tho but still.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
medic91x said:
I'd like to have my MKIII sanded down and repainted sometime this year. With maybe a few layers of clear coat? I'm not really sure about that part. I just want the same factory color of black same as what's on the car currently.

How much should I have to pay if I get a paint job done in Nashville or El Paso? Keep in my I'm just trying to get something decent. As long as the paint last for awhile and keeps up in apperance I'll be happy.
the materials to do a decent paint job are almost that expensive ... you get what you pay for

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I have the funds to pay for a nice paint job. Heck, I could aford serveral nice $3000 paint jobs with out even breaking a sweat. The car's intended purpose is just dailydriving. If anything I should just worry about it's maintance and keeping it on the road.

This car is one of four that I own, and I'm not even really that fond of it right now. However, that doesn't mean that I want the car to look like rusted out faded embrassment either. I was going to spend around 3k initially, but then I had a change of heart.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Got mine done at MAACO almost 3 years ago. Still looks great. Got the presidential for half price ($250) and requested an extra clear coat for about another $120. With the paint job and most of the dents pulled, I paid $790. Definantly not a perfect job, but still looks great and its holding up. Another friend of mine got his done at MAACO and that was done about 3 years before mine and his looks almost new still.