Universal Technical Institute (UTI)?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
I just enrolled in uti... did a tour of the building and woweee its car heaven..they have everything car and some. its a dream.. im wondering if anyone here has had experience with UTI. I know the campus i will attend (Exton, Pa) is relatively new being opened about a year ago i think. but they have several locations across the country.. Its supposed to be like the harvard of automotive schools.. iunno well see... looks like it so far... i start 2/20. any feedback or questions are welcome.

EDIT: you can check them out online @ www.uti.edu

Toyota Drive

DORI!
Jan 23, 2006
Rockford, Illinois
Ya man, UTI looks to be the one for me. I hope to go to the campous in Chicago. Only thing that sucks is im gonna have to take a while off to work. So damn pricy! A good friend of mine went there several years back and had a job lined up right out of school. He worked at Toyota and started at $60,000 a year. Prety damn good for livin on your own.
By the way good luck and hope you like it!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
first thing I thought when I seen the "(UTI)?" was ouch... but I was thinking Urinary Tract Infection....

I hear good things about UTI, soon as I'm done with this silly rad tech crapp I'm gonna enroll there or somewhere similar. Good luck.

J

j.a.zamari

I just started 1/9, just finished my first phase so far I have no complaints about it. I'm at the Houston campus and everything has been great thus far.
I'm in automotive with Ford Fact and hope to get into Mercedes MSAT program. Anyway good luck man.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
interesting this thread came up... as i was thinking about UTI as well... i suppose i'll see how much money i save up...

-shaeff

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i dunno...i MIGHT let him touch the supra...maybe if he can fix a jaguar xj12 engine or something, then i'll consider it.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
haha thanks for the feedback guys.. this was something i beat around for a while but i am so tired of my job i called the guy and set up an appt. and decided i was going to just committ and quit my job... wish me luck paying for it haha... ~23 k i think its gonna be total? if i recall correctly.. and shaeff if you were planning on the PA one.. its basically brand new and my tour of the place was like walking on the clouds... car heaven.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I'm in the same boat you are, I start this summer at the Norwood Massachusetts school, it was built alittle over a year ago and I've had 3 tours of it, first when only some of the classrooms and 2 shops were built, and the last trip about 2 weeks ago they had just completed the dyno rooms and all the shops, just started to build the Mercedes MSAT building.
You start before me, let us know how it goes:icon_bigg

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
Yea im think of UTI or wyotech but the money from the job right now is nice and plentiful its just welding in a shop all day with smoke everywhere jsut suckss.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
I'M in UTI right now, it's a good school. don't miss any class and pull a 4.0 each phase and you'll be fine..

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
xarewhyayen said:
...and shaeff if you were planning on the PA one.. its basically brand new and my tour of the place was like walking on the clouds... car heaven.

yeah, the PA one is what i was lookin' at. :) i'm not sure if/when i'll go, though. i have to pay my own way, so it's a matter of getting the cash.

-shaeff

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
yo i know its been a lil while since i posted... been so busy.. anyway... i started monday. the jump start program( first 2 days... sorta an encouragement thing.. pretty cheesy but useful) is over and i start basic engines today.. place seems awesome and they work well with you in the sense of financial aid. I just quit my job and ill be paying my own way so if i can do it, you can. id say give it a try shaeff i have people in my class from as far as michigan. If you need any info or anything pm me and ill tell you what i can. "I am a professional technician. The best of the best." Anyone who goes there will get that^^ haha -Ryan

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I was thinking about enrolling into UTI but With me being a full time working specially living on the other side of the valley I'm not sure how that would work out :(. Maybe when I marry a rich girl I will be able to do so ;).

me262

dont take it wrong, its a great place for some, but ive fired so many people from uti, wyotech.... they think becasue they went to a school they know all, but nothing comes close to actually having tha aptitude to begin wiht, and trying things different. they teach the "proper" way, not the more educational try it and find out way.......
books and stuff are great, but having done everything mechanical is better :)

mk3ownZ

twinturbos
Mar 30, 2005
Temcula, California
me262 said:
dont take it wrong, its a great place for some, but ive fired so many people from uti, wyotech.... they think becasue they went to a school they know all, but nothing comes close to actually having tha aptitude to begin wiht, and trying things different. they teach the "proper" way, not the more educational try it and find out way.......
books and stuff are great, but having done everything mechanical is better :)

i agree with you, some uti students dont give a shit. their attendence professionalism and grade goes down and they think its not a big deal:icon_conf

i feel sorry for the people that slack in school and just wasted 25k+ :nono:

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
well you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink... I find the professionalism thing to be really smart... You cant judge uti by a few bad apples. Sure a few people are going to be asses and not so good mechanics, but they train you in the best way they can. What you take from it is up to you. You say that they teach you the proper way but nothing beats doing the mechanical stuff? You get hands on experience here. The program includes half lab time. They take people who just tweek and turn them into knowledgable technicians. No, They are not experienced on the job mechanics but thats because they are still considered "Entry Level Technicians". Nobody begins their career experienced but some do start out cocky. I'm sorry that you have had experience with some shitty mechanics but I intend to enter the field with an open mind and an eager intent to learn. I am really enjoying the experience so far and havent even got much into the juicy stuff.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
I just finished my first phase on friday, Basic Engines. I finished SOC ( Student of the course). I did perfect on every test except two, Each of which i only missed one question on. I start today in "Undercar". Should be good times.. this school is great im having a great time and learning alot!

Last edited:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Nice, I'm starting in July. So you like the way its going so far? that's good to hear, keep us updated.