Universal Technical Institute (UTI)?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Ahh so you'll be starting at the Mass. campus... nice. Yes i love how its going, I'm only on my second phase, but so far both teachers are really cool. In undercar i'll get to bring my car in to lab and work on it. I bought struts last week and today i found out i can put them on in class then use the maching to align my car during class time, for class credit. Whats better than that? ha. Anyway im glad to hear you'll be starting soon. Good luck!!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yup Norwood Mass.
Thanks, I can really only see myself screwing up if I forget how strict they say they are on attendance.
They make it seem like if you miss a day or two you're on the verge of getting kicked out haha. Is it really that bad?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
MassSupra89 said:
Yup Norwood Mass.
Thanks, I can really only see myself screwing up if I forget how strict they say they are on attendance.
They make it seem like if you miss a day or two you're on the verge of getting kicked out haha. Is it really that bad?

It doesnt kill to get perfect attendence. I leave so im there about 45 minutes to an hour early everyday so incase i do run late im still early. If you come in to class one minute late, most teachers will mark you 1/4 hour late. Some let a minute or 2 go, but most dont. Phases are 3 weeks long...(1 phase=1 class) 1 day is 6 hours, You can miss up to 12 hours in any course, but say you miss 2 days ( 12 hrs) then you are 1 minute late on another day (counts as 15 minutes and a professionalism infraction) you will phase out, which means you have to retake the course. I just finished my 2nd phase friday and have perfect attendence, a 4.0, and 1 student of the course. Had i got a 20 out of 20 on my final friday, i would have taken student of the course again, but i got 1 wrong. I still got a 98 in the class though. I start brakes on monday.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Fastway I start 3 weeks after you, I'm parking right next to you very day LOL.

OT: My friend tells me theres some a-hole kid there with $25k invested in his Integra...problem is all the money went to Skyline widebody kit and Lambo doors. He parks in the very back of the parking lot and some kids parked their Explorer's 8 inches from his doors... had to climb in through the hatch:biglaugh:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i've lots of friends who have attended one or the other.
the general concensus is:

Wyotech >>> UTI

(>>> = much greater than)

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Me>>>wyotech.. haha just kidding...anyway, wherever you go, input=output. Its like owning a supra... you get out of it what you put in. you dont learn by osmosis... if you want to learn you will... but hey i dont know shit bout wyotech but dont jack my thread punk! :slap: haha

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Just wanted to update my status... I just finished my 4th course on friday. Got my second student of course (SOC) award, got a perfect score on all 6 tests plus the final.Got a 94 as a lab grade ( teacher doesnt believe in giving 100% since we dont know everything.. prick) That was Automotive Powertrains, so basically manual tranny+diffs.

So, so far ive been through:
Basic engines: 94+SOC
Automotive Undercar: 96
Brakes: 91
Automotive Powertrains: 97+SOC

Next course starts tomorrow, Basic electronics. Gonna be like highschool science class all over again.. cant wait for this (sarcasm)

Anyway, im still loving the experience!!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I just found out the other day that the Advanced Electrical teacher at the UTI I'm going to has a 89 or 90 Supra.
My friend said he's a prick about it and thinks its better than everything else. Lol

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
xarewhyayen, a 91 in breaks?????:nono: what happened?

hahaha just messing with ya. looks like your doing great there. who do you plan on working for? i hear you can specalize in a certain brand(toyota, mecedies ya know). a guy who was in my high school autotech class is going to UTI right now, his plan was to try and get into the porche school(which needs like perfect grades?) and if he didnt make it then he was going to try to end up in BMW or mercedies. good luck and keep us updated.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I start in 2 months. But everyone I work with goes there, I get to hear all the rice stories haha.

Souprat, it seems like thats alot of people's plans. Porsche if very strict on the grades and attendance.
But it's worth it. I was looking at pictures of a Porsche dealership in Florida and they have an outside garage, all their lifts are outside, really cool.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
souprat said:
xarewhyayen, a 91 in breaks?????:nono: what happened?

hahaha just messing with ya. looks like your doing great there. who do you plan on working for? i hear you can specalize in a certain brand(toyota, mecedies ya know). a guy who was in my high school autotech class is going to UTI right now, his plan was to try and get into the porche school(which needs like perfect grades?) and if he didnt make it then he was going to try to end up in BMW or mercedies. good luck and keep us updated.

to get into the manufacture specific programs you need:
good attendence
great grades
good professionalism grade
Good driving record

I have the first three, but the fourth is my weak point... I plan to work in an independent shop for a little while to get some experience and work on my 1 year so i can be ase certified. Then i plan to open up a shop..

The 91 in brakes is because of my lab grade... it suffered because i forgot to fill out my brake lathe sheets and lost a few points because of it. Im still on the honors list :biglaugh:.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I'm trying to keep my driving record clean for the next 2 years. I get nervous about it everytime I think of it though. lol.

I'd love to open a performance shop or something in the future. A guy that does all performance work in his small garage in the town next to mine is making a good business for himself. Build's cages for racing, and almost anything else track and speed related. My friend called him the other day and said he's got a 2-3 month waiting list to get your car in the garage all summer, he's got plenty of business and races his STi and porsche in his free time.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
wow, youpulled SOC with a 94... here at the NTI campus most SOC's are a 100%. we have most competive campus here in mooresville