Stock HU replacement with a Toyota Stock Head Unit Radio

Who

Supramania Contributor
Phantom;1723844 said:
How can I tell if my car has an External Amplifying or Internal Amplifying? I have a 1990 Supra NA Auto that was manufactured in Sept. of '89. Do I take out the front passenger seat and it's sitting there? Sorry, I'm kind of new to the whole audio system thing. The most I've done is replaced the factory tape deck with an Aftermarket Sony Xploid head unit (now not working) and now I want to put one from a Camry (Toyota 16814). Thanks.

Just take a look underneath the passenger seat. You will find a small silver rectangular box with two harness attachments if you have the external amp.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Cool, thanks.

It looks like I have an internal amplifying since: it had originally came with a factory tape deck and I don't recall seeing any silver rectangular box under the front passenger seat when I removed the seat a few years ago. Will double check tomorrow.

Looks like the 16814 is plug and play. Does this means I don't need to get the radio code from the dealer?

Last edited:

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I looked under the front passenger seat today to confirm that I don't have an external amplifying unit under the seat.

I didn't see any rectangular silver box or any wires, so I guess that means my Supra has internal amplifying.

There was a hollow rectangular black flexible thing that was under the seat though (where there was a opening cut in the carpet, near the front of the seat, next to seat bracket bolt closest to the transmission shifter area). I have no idea what purpose it served. But definitely didn't see any wires or silver box. Did not have a camera on hand to take a picture.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So from my understanding on this thread ALL 16814 models are internally amplified?

Also, is it possible to use a sub with this unit?
What about a CD changer in addition?
And I assume it doesn't play mp3 cds?

Sorry to bump a 30 year old thread but I'm debating between this and aftermarket. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Correct 16814 is internally amplified (has a big finned heatsink on back). The 16815 is externally amplified.

No sub outputs, although you could do that externally.
No idea about changer, but there is an additional 12 pin connector that supports steering wheel controls. It is possible that also supports a changer.
No mp3 support (this is ~2002 technology).

If you want something more modern I would suggest looking at the Scion head units. They fit with a little trimming of the bezel.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?123654-Scion-T1807-T1806-T1808-Installation