Stock HU replacement with a Toyota Stock Head Unit Radio

Who

Supramania Contributor
If anyone is looking to replace their stock HU radio with a Toyota stock radio take a look at the photos below. I think it looks pretty good for stock. Not as busy as the original supra radio and that pesky garbage under seat amp is eliminated. Your best bet is eBay. Do a search on ebay and use the number 16814. That should be the number on the front faceplate of the radio. These radios are from newer Toyota Camry, Sienna, Tacoma, 4Runner and are internally amplified. The 16814 includes CD, radio, cassette and all the functions of dimming lights and a green display. The dimensions are 7" wide by 4" high double din. The back must have the 6 / 10 pin plug. Just make sure you have your stock radio brackets and plug it into the 6 / 10 plug behind your dash. If you have a externally amplified under seat amp in your car now you can unplug the amp harness behind the dash ,bypassing the amp, and use the factory 6 /10 pin plugs that are already there. No mods were necessary in my 1989 Toyota Supra 7mgte

OEM Head Units know to fit listed below.

Face plate ID Toyota 16814

Scion T1807 Please note!! This radio fits but must be modded.

Edit 10/10/2008
Faceplate ID: Toyota 16810 should fit as well.

Edit 11/12/2008
Eclipse AVN-5500 Double Din
Credits to SM member Reydio link to post

Edit 01/13/2009
Face plate ID Toyota 16815 externally amplified version head unit . This unit fits but it must be powered by the external amp located underneath the seat. The toyota / Fujitsu amps are prone to failure. (Credit to SM member 3p141592654 )

Attachments

• radiosmall.jpg
    radiosmall.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:

Who

Supramania Contributor
Heatmiser;1005523 said:
any other Toyota head units that will work?
I honestly do not know. I did some bit of searching, reading, calling just to figure out that the 16814 was 7in. wide and 4in. high and about 6in deep. The other important note is the 6 / 10 pin plug makes it internally amplified. The 6 /10 pin plug seems to be a standard and most used for numerous years of early to mid year Toyota models. Forget about the under seat amp. It is doomed to fail right out of box. Regardless if the amp was removed working from the previous vehicles the capacitors will leak due to age and the amp will fail shortly. Lastly you must have the original factory supra brackets. The brackets from other car models will not work.

These two links were a great help.
http://www.oemvalue.com/toyota3.htm
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391532 Credit to "Ishii" Supraforums.com

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
So I've got an 86.5 but all the wiring behind the dash is from an 87 T. Will that radio work in mine?

EDIT-I just looked at the old dash harness I have and looked at the pin configuration of that radio and I think it will work.

There is another big plug on the back of that radio, is it for a CD changer?

Last edited:

Who

Supramania Contributor
gtsfirefighter;1006260 said:
So I've got an 86.5 but all the wiring behind the dash is from an 87 T. Will that radio work in mine?

EDIT-I just looked at the old dash harness I have and looked at the pin configuration of that radio and I think it will work.

There is another big plug on the back of that radio, is it for a CD changer?

If your plugs have the same pins it should work. See the link
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=391532

Yes the other plug is for a cd changer.

Who

Supramania Contributor
gtsfirefighter;1006370 said:
Here is the pin configuration off the adapter I had wired onto my Pioneer. Looks the same as the configuration on that radio doesn't it?

Looks correct. 6 pin on the small and 10 pins on the large. Remember you need the factory brackets from your supra or a supra. No brackets big problem.
That harness you are showing me is connected to the pioneer HU itself right. I ask because the harness in the car is male and the plugs on the back of the factory radio are female. There are alot of hack jobs out there you never know.
Here is a good link to a ebay listing. This listing finally sold me on having the right radio. The listing has some good info. Take note I am not endorsing or recommending this listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...023QQitemZ360047795472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Pics a little blurry. Does your camera have a macro setting.

Who

Supramania Contributor
DegreE;1006376 said:
I wanna see that. The TC has a real nice stock headunit.

Here it is. It does look real good. Maybe to modern for our vintage cars, and its labeled scion on the front. In my humble opinion.
I can't verify the dimensions or the color on the led display but the plugs on the back do look correct. Radio is high powered about 40watts per channel. Those old dried up factory speakers will certainly need to be changed.

Attachments

• dsc004192xf.jpg
    dsc004192xf.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 201
  • dsc004272ks.jpg
    dsc004272ks.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 105

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
whowouldfigga;1006531 said:
Looks correct. 6 pin on the small and 10 pins on the large. Remember you need the factory brackets from your supra or a supra. No brackets big problem.
That harness you are showing me is connected to the pioneer HU itself right. I ask because the harness in the car is male and the plugs on the back of the factory radio are female. There are alot of hack jobs out there you never know.
Here is a good link to a ebay listing. This listing finally sold me on having the right radio. The listing has some good info. Take note I am not endorsing or recommending this listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...023QQitemZ360047795472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Pics a little blurry. Does your camera have a macro setting.

Pics are from the cellphone.
Yes, the harness pictured is the adapter I connected to my Pioneer so I could just plug it into my factory harness. I've decided to go ahead and get one. As long as it fits I can make it work. If plug n play doesn't work I can get the plugs from Toyota and wire it to my adapter. I've got my stock brackets so no problems there. They attach to this HU same as the stock radio?

EDIT- Just realized not all of these are internally amped. If anybody is looking make sure they say internally amped.

Last edited:

Who

Supramania Contributor
gtsfirefighter;1006556 said:
Pics are from the cellphone.
Yes, the harness pictured is the adapter I connected to my Pioneer so I could just plug it into my factory harness. I've decided to go ahead and get one. As long as it fits I can make it work. If plug n play doesn't work I can get the plugs from Toyota and wire it to my adapter. I've got my stock brackets so no problems there. They attach to this HU same as the stock radio?

EDIT- Just realized not all of these are internally amped. If anybody is looking make sure they say internally amped.

My stock brackets attached to the stock toyota 16814 no problem. Seems like toyota made the attachment holes the same on the radios and only changed the legs or the shape of the brackets when they attach to the car dash.

I think if the plugs are 6 /10 on the radios they are probably internally amped. My external amp radio had a 14pin plug only and it went to a harness that went under the seat and back up to the 6 /10 factory plug behind the dash.

By the way just to give you a reference on price. I paid just under $70 dollars shipped for the 16814 radio

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
whowouldfigga;1007035 said:
My stock brackets attached to the stock toyota 16814 no problem. Seems like toyota made the attachment holes the same on the radios and only changed the legs or the shape of the brackets when they attach to the car dash.
This makes sense, because Toyota radios are standard DIN mount (or, in the case of the Supra, double-DIN mount.) This is a standard size, which is the reason that aftermarket radios mount in so easily. As such, it's no surprise that other Toyota radios, which are also standard DIN/double DIN mount also fit in with no issues.

Who

Supramania Contributor
gtsfirefighter;1007126 said:
Some ads I've seen listed "non amplified" in their description. They were the cheaper ones. The more expensive advertised amplified.

This one for example. Read the description. I went ahead and bought a more expensive one because of the warranty they offered and their feedback was exceptional.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...tte-16814_W0QQitemZ380022449587QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the same model I bought. The listings should probably read internally-amplified. Meaning you do not need a external amp to drive the speakers.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
whowouldfigga;1007239 said:
Thats the same model I bought. The listings should probably read internally-amplified. Meaning you do not need a external amp to drive the speakers.

You're most likely right but I didn't want to take the chance, so I paid a little extra for the peace of mind. Can't wait to get it. I'll post up pics when I do.

BTW, thanks for making this thread. I've got my original pre 89 head unit and everything works but I don't like the looks of it. The Pioneer I had put in sounded like crap so I put the stock one back in. I was wanting an updated stock headunit and this having a cd and cassette is a plus.

Ken

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Ok, I got my new head unit the other day and put it in yesterday and it fits like a glove. Just wish my bezel wasn't hacked up by previous owner(s).

Also, since I had no speakers in the back of the car, my neighbor sold me his rear Bose speakers from his Silverado SS. They're a 4x6 plate but the speakers are actually 3.25". With a little ghetto fabrication I mounted them up in the back and they sure put out the sound. I already have his front Bose speakers in my GMC truck since they were a direct fit. The sound quality is excellent. My front speakers are Infinity 6.5" Reference series. I will be changing those out eventually for some component speakers.

Here's a pic of new Toyota HU in my car.
p1015339_1.jpg

Who

Supramania Contributor
Looks good!!!
I still say the new stocker looks better than the old oem radio and sounds better too. Stock is the way to go IMO. Check out ebay for bezels. I have seen two bezels recently. I did a search using "supra radio" and two new ones came up today but they were both hacked. Just be patient.

Speakers might be my next change out. My front drivers side rattles a little probably rotted out or loose.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
whowouldfigga;1015480 said:
Looks good!!!
I still say the new stocker looks better than the old oem radio and sounds better too. Stock is the way to go IMO. Check out ebay for bezels. I have seen two bezels recently. I did a search using "supra radio" and two new ones came up today but they were both hacked. Just be patient.

Speakers might be my next change out. My front drivers side rattles a little probably rotted out or loose.

My bezel is not terribly hacked but it's been carved on a little. You can tell by looking to the left of the radio. I think it'll hold me for a while.

This radio does look and sound better. It's very simple also and I like that.