Stock HU replacement with a Toyota Stock Head Unit Radio

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I put the externally amplified version of that headunit 16815 in mine last year. Made an adapter to connect to the original Supra amp under the seat, which I rebuilt. Replaced the power transistors and all electrolytic caps. Pretty much any Toyota HU up to 2002 will fit in the Supra. Mine was from a Tundra.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I love my stock 1992 headunit...

p1021827_1.jpg

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I got a 2000 camry HU sitting around I was gonna put that in but went with a alpine.. I agree tc hu looks cool and ipod ready. plus it changes colors!

Who

Supramania Contributor
3p141592654;1021802 said:
I put the externally amplified version of that headunit 16815 in mine last year. Made an adapter to connect to the original Supra amp under the seat, which I rebuilt. Replaced the power transistors and all electrolytic caps. Pretty much any Toyota HU up to 2002 will fit in the Supra. Mine was from a Tundra.

If you can repair the stock underseat amp than you might consider offering a repair service. You might just find yourself making some extra pocket change or as I call it "Burger King money". I researched lots of radio repair places on the net and locally and none of them wanted to touch those fujistu amps with a 10ft pole.

Who

Supramania Contributor
You know I once considered using the harness under the seat to connect a after market amp. If you look at the harness under the seat you are provided with the signal line outputs from the radio. Granted they are the high level lines from the stock radio which don't sound as well as the rca patch cables. The power, antenna, and speaker connections are all provided. I thought to myself all the connections behind the dash are right underneath the seat.

Props to you for repairing your amp. I gave it a shot but I came up short. My schematics, electronics and soldering skills just weren't up to the task.

86.6mkIII

May 15, 2008
Boston
I just installed a Scion Head Unit in my Mk3 Supra over the weekend. I wanted a newer radio than the other one mentioned in this thread so that I would have mp3 capabilities. My goal was to only modify the radio and not the Supra ...I almost suceeded.

I trimmed the head unit with a dremel so that it would mostly fit inside of the radio bezel with no modifications. Due to the positioning of the power and eject buttons I did make a slight trim to the radio bezel to accomodate - but you cannot see the trim spots when the radio is in place.

Everything works perfectly with the exception of the power antenna. It opens properly when the radio comes on - but will not close again until the car gets turned off. I think Toyota changed the spec for the signal to lower the antenna as this function worked w/o flaw using this radio in my 97 Land Cruiser.

If anyone expresses interest in this I can snap some pics of the installation and what was done to the Scion head unit to make it physically fit.

86.6mkIII

May 15, 2008
Boston
whowouldfigga;1026794 said:

Here it is. Note that the power and eject buttons have been trimmed flush with the face of the HU where the radio bezel overlaps it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0519081820.jpg
    0519081820.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 412

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I used to have a stock 02 Corolla HU in my Supra. It was a single din, so I had a pocket below it too.

I then lent it to my brother's girlfriend for her 87 Corolla, and then they broke up, so I never got it back.

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
sorrie to bring back the tread up but i'm kinda lost, So does this mean that the stock scion stero fit the stock supra stero harness ? or do i need a scion raido harness to go along with the supra harness for the fit-ment!

Who

Supramania Contributor
mk3tt;1060670 said:
sorrie to bring back the tread up but i'm kinda lost, So does this mean that the stock scion stero fit the stock supra stero harness ? or do i need a scion raido harness to go along with the supra harness for the fit-ment!
I would think the stock toyo harness would just plug into the scion radio. Why don't you try to PM member 86.6mkIII and ask. Let us know his/her reply.

86.6mkIII

May 15, 2008
Boston
The quick answer is yes - it is plug and play with the Scion HU. The longer answer is that the Scion HU is internally amplified and therefore you will need to do a little work if your unit is using a factory external amp.

I do not have a Supra using an external amp - but I did the same thing (added a Scion HU) to my Land Cruiser which did have an external amp. To get it working I used the aux plugs on the radio wiring harness and left the originally used plug to the Toyota HU disconnected. I then found the stock external amp and disconnected the plugs from it. The Scion HU then worked perfectly - and sounded better to boot. I am sure the process to get it working on the Supra w/ factory external amp would be similar.

On my Supra it was a matter of hacking it down and just plugging it in and all worked beautifully for $50 spent.

86.6mkIII

May 15, 2008
Boston
The one I cut apart was marked T1807 on the front faceplate. Looking at their pictures on eBay any of the Scion double-din radios short of the T1809 look like they would work with the same cutting of the faceplate. The T1809 looks to "busy" around the edges to work.