Stinger thread....

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
A/C Compressor is controlled by the AC Amplifier not the stock TCCS. The TCCS is given an A/C Signal in order to bump the idle up when the compressor kicks on, other then that there completely unrelated.

Evidence is here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=145 Under A/C Operation.

Anyone With a 7m and stinger get tuned yet? Im trying to get my hands on a good timing map for reference.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
sorry, should have clarified, car is a JZA70 (as is Zerocool's Turbo-R), only reason I'm asking is because the A/C hasn't worked since I put the Stinger in... It doesn't even switch on the compressor, so I figured there must be some input from the ECU in the operation, besides bumping the idle speed up...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
FIL, contact 3P on here. He is doing all of the 7M TCCS stuff. He has his thread as a sticky in the technical section for the 7M. Shoot him a PM.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
FIL;1713790 said:
sorry, should have clarified, car is a JZA70 (as is Zerocool's Turbo-R), only reason I'm asking is because the A/C hasn't worked since I put the Stinger in... It doesn't even switch on the compressor, so I figured there must be some input from the ECU in the operation, besides bumping the idle speed up...

I still believe its a separate system. Does the AC system have a charge? Takes pressure in the lines to close the low pressure switch to turn on the compressor. if the system is empty it won't kick compressor on.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
Pins 6 and 7 on the T connector are connected to AC components.. 6 to the AC clutch and 7 to the AC Amplifier (blower fan resistor?)

What I don't know, is what the ECU does to the signal and where it gets an input telling it that I want to turn the AC on.... I was hoping someone may have had some experience with it, seeing as there are apparently a few JZA70's running Stingers these days...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Witch connector is this "T" connector? What color are the wires to pins 6 and 7 of this connector?

The AC Amplifier seems to be what controls the compressor clutch. It also controls the clutch using temperature sensors when the climate control is in auto mode. At least this is out of the online TSRM.

I cant see them making the systems operate much differently with different engines. It would be more work to make different body harnesses in addition to engine harnesses for two different engines.

Did you try powering the compressor clutch manually to make sure the magnet functions properly? Does the system have a full charge or enough too close the pressure switch? Are the wires different colors then the diagram i posted? Did you test the Compressor clutch relay?

I really cant see any need for input from the Engine ECU. Only thing i could possibly see is for coolant temperature. I could see possibly a safety where if coolant temp went over a certain temp it would turn off the compressor.

At the same time, i see that on USDM cars the AC amplifier would make that same decision based upon input from separate sensors in the thermostat housing specifically for the AC system.

mjrsplat

Dec 14, 2010
ohio
I cant figure out why I cant save changes to my fuel map. I will save, or even click save as and write a new file, then when i open the software, its the same damn file. this is with the latest software downloaded. I'm stumped here..

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
If I remember right, you have to press tab or enter or space bar or something like that once you've mad changes to the cells on the map.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
mjrsplat;1722679 said:
I cant figure out why I cant save changes to my fuel map. I will save, or even click save as and write a new file, then when i open the software, its the same damn file. this is with the latest software downloaded. I'm stumped here..

After you enter an number in a cell you must press the "enter" key.

When you open the software, unless you click "yes" on the "read from ECU" popup box, it will not display written tune data.

If you click yes it will read from the ecu and display the programmed tune data.

jmcboost;1722749 said:
If I remember right, you have to press tab or enter or space bar or something like that once you've mad changes to the cells on the map.

How much boost did you make that power on?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Nosechunks;1722804 said:

When you open the software, unless you click "yes" on the "read from ECU" popup box, it will not display written tune data.

If you click yes it will read from the ecu and display the programmed tune data.

How much boost did you make that power on?

Somewhere around 22-23psi. I'm pretty sure the clutch was slipping and my timing map is conservative in higher boost.

mjrsplat

Dec 14, 2010
ohio
Nosechunks;1722804 said:

I'll try that. so far I havent had any luck tabbing over from cell to cell. it shows all the numbers and the map change, but then i close the program and open the saved file and its the same shit. :(

EDIT: thanks for the tip, i got it working. now time to fine tune for the bigger injectors and crank up the boost. :)

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
jmcboost;1723646 said:
Somewhere around 22-23psi. I'm pretty sure the clutch was slipping and my timing map is conservative in higher boost.

How much timing you running around 20psi from 4000-6500? What fuel and any methanol injection?

mjrsplat;1724273 said:
I'll try that. so far I havent had any luck tabbing over from cell to cell. it shows all the numbers and the map change, but then i close the program and open the saved file and its the same shit. :(

EDIT: thanks for the tip, i got it working. now time to fine tune for the bigger injectors and crank up the boost. :)

If you open the saved file it will be the same as when you saved it, It will not reflect the written tune programmed into the ECU. If you open the software you need to read from the ECU to see the programed vaules. Opening a saved file will no wright to the ecu and if you make changes to a save file without wrighting it to the ECU you will be making very inaccurate changes to the ecu tune file.

You should never load a file without immediately wrighting the file to ECU memory. ALWAYS read from ECU or Wright to ECU before making any tuning changes.

Say your ecu's programmed fuel map has a 100 in a cell. If you load a tune file that has a 120 in that same cell and do not wright to ECU memory, the ECU will still be using a 100 for that cell.

The problem is if you go to that cell and press "page up" or "Page down" It will then change the value of that cell from 100 to 121, or 119 because when you load a tune file it does not wright to memory, but when you use page up or page down, it instantly wrights the new vaule to memory.

Open the software and read from ECU to see the programmed tune file. If you load a tune file, immediately Wright to ECU memory if you want to use the tune file. If you dont want to use the tune file, immediately read from ECU memory so that you do not make and wrongful changes.

See what im saying? If you dont understand the difference between the programmed vaule of the ECU and the displayed values from a loaded tune file let me know because you can seriously mess up your tune file if your not careful.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I'm just running 93 octane. I do want to run a meth kit soon. I think I could benefit a lot from one and would feel better about adding timing under higher boost. Here is a screen shot of my map.

p1726122_1.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Oh perfect, Im running less overall timing then you but im also running way less timing under 4500. I should also be able to run more because i run water/meth.

p1726213_1.jpg

Is that map tuned on a dyno? How are your EGT's?

Sorry for all the questions, i have been dying to compare my ignition map of my car with. Even though your 2J with cams, your still same turbo and displacement. Should be roughly in the ballpark.

My EGTS get to just under 1600F at 20psi. I feel its because i dont have enough timing with 93 Pump and 50/50 methanol.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I didnt monitor EGTs. I had no way to. The guy helping me on the dyno wasn't super comfortable with the software and we ran out of time to really get into tuning timing. He was mainly listening for knock and adjusting the fuel map. I would love to take it back when I get the meth kit and have it fine tuned. It's not bad, but I know it would run better if I got it tuned just right. I feel mine is a "safe tune" which is good for now.

Little_Matt

Nov 29, 2009
Grantsburg
So I installed a Stinger standalone in my S13 with a 1jz and I love it. Great standalone. I took it to my tuner and had it dyno tuned and he liked it also. I am a drifter and I wanted him to tune it so it goes bang bang when I let off or bang rev limit and he couldnt do it. He said he needed to know how to put negative timing. My car is the first time he ever worked with Stinger. Does anyone know how to add negative timing?

Thanks.