Stinger thread....

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Post your ins and outs of the Stinger ECU & maps here.....

Attached is my 1jz map. I run a 61.5mm turbo with 440cc injectors and with this map, it runs very, very good. The only 'problem' I've noticed is cold cranking the car.

**change the extension of the attached file to .em4 to open in Stinger....

Attachments

• 62-1(62mm) 440cc.txt
    61.3 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
turbo joe;977816 said:
I was just bugging Aaron last night to start a Stinger thread. :D Thanks!

What is the problem you're having with cold starts?

I need to figure out how to add fuel during cold start ups. I had an older version of software that let you do it, but when I upgraded, it seemed to have disappeared....

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mark, did you check the link you posted? Maybe my computer can't read all that technical stuff.........:biglaugh:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
You mean the tune file? Rename it with a .em4 extension. You can't (currently) attach .em4's, so I made it a .txt.

Hay Jay, add your old and new files......

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
You should have a coolant temp map...just add or subtract it there at the appropriate temps.

The Stinger is a little different than most ECUs, in that cranking fuel is tuned from the map...so if you need more cranking fuel, just add it at the edge of the map and tweak it for temp in the coolant map.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
turbo joe;978513 said:
You should have a coolant temp map...just add or subtract it there at the appropriate temps.

The Stinger is a little different than most ECUs, in that cranking fuel is tuned from the map...so if you need more cranking fuel, just add it at the edge of the map and tweak it for temp in the coolant map.

Correct, but the old version of software had the ability to add fuel during startup by a % of the base map. Adding fuel by the cooling or air temp map adds fuel as long as the car is operating in said temp range, therefor if you add more fuel to get the car started, it will continue to run rich until it moves out of that cell...

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
That coolant map does go both ways, right? :D

You should be doing most of your tuning with the main map, then do the tweaking in the coolant map. If it's too lean on startup, just bump up the first row of cells...the 0-500 numbers. It's not likely that it would need *more* fuel at 120* cranking than it would at say 80* and cranking. If anything, it's going to need less fuel the warmer it gets, not more at just that temp.

The adjustments are fairly sparse for sure...but you can definitely do whatever you need to do. You probably have something else a little out somewhere else and it makes look like the problem is at 120*. Know what I mean?

Your car should start at 120* on the main map without any correction. If it doesn't...keep at it until it does. The ECT correction will just make it better at lower temps, but it's easy to go a little too far when it's warm and make it slightly flooded. I generally have it all zeroed-out by 120-130 tops.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
in aem I used the MKIII (7m) water temp calibration. seemed the be the same
edit: oh stinger doesn't show volts, anyone know what the numbers mean?

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
tissimo;979277 said:
in aem I used the MKIII (7m) water temp calibration. seemed the be the same
edit: oh stinger doesn't show volts, anyone know what the numbers mean?

It's a 0-5 volt analog scale displayed as a digital 0 to 1024 number. A-to-D.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

is what aem uses for the toyota temp sensor..

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
I haven't messed with it at all. I do WOT tuning by power only...I don't really care much what the ECU thinks of what I do. :D

In order to do any sort of closed-loop tuning or analysis, you really need to tune it first to figure out what the engine wants in terms of fuel at what part of the map to make the most power...then use that information to set up or do any analysis.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
rakkasan;986286 said:
has any one played with the tune analyzer? I'm curious of it's function/usefullness

tune analyzer does not work very well just hit the highway and tune. Tune all light throttle first under 1psi, make sure you turn off the throttle enrichment and duration settings in the ecu set up screen first. This will help smooth out af's without jumping all over.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
Sometimes however, the air/fuel is supposed to be "jumpy". I tune for how it drives and performs, not how the gauge behaves. :)

Get the throttle response as smooth and crisp as you can in the map, then go to the throttle/TPS enrichments. You can get it pretty dialed for progressive throttle...roll on and roll off stuff...but for snap-open throttle, you absolutely need a little extra to make it right. Not much, but you gotta have some.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
Not looking to start anything here...well...maybe I am...LOL

You can easily make your own maps that will easily be as good as a map you get from someone else's setup. Why would you want to use someone else's? Unless your combo is identical to theirs, it likely won't be any better than what you can do yourself.

There aren't many items to set up on a Stinger, I would think that a few key settings and a range of base map numbers would get you running if you aren't already.