SBC/LS1 with R154, anyone done it?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The novak adapter uses an SBC bellhousing and works with the SBC. It absolutely can be bought from Novak. The Advance adapters bellhousing can also be used with both the gen 3 and SBC. The only difference between the bellhousing to block is the top bolts. I think you need to do a little more homework.

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
v8nova64;1895160 said:
we are doing the ax15 to sbc in my shop class. I am also thinking of doing the swap in my car behind an Lq9 instead with the r154 the supras came with. The idea to do it in my car actually came from the project we are going to do in auto. After i was told my t5 wouldn't hold up to the power from the Lq9 and the r154 is capable of some serious torque i started looking into it,. I would be buying the adapter if i choose to do the swap in my car my teacher won't let me make it if he knew i would be using it in my car and its on the road (liability) and machine shops would charge more than the actual adapters worth. Like i said earlier the adapter for the ax15 to sbc we are doing in auto cannot be bought so thats where we need the pattern. For my swap if i decide to do it i will be looking for a good used one to keep the cost down. basically all the questions in my post i am asking for myself if i decide to do the swap. the posts about the adapter are for school. sorry i wasn't being very clear explaining in my posts.

Boy, I was young once! So, you want to do this on the cheap? If you're brave, maybe I can give you a few pointers. Let's give it a go. Cheap...

So, you have an AX15 or R154. OK, go to the boneyard and get a 96-00 2.5L L4 Dodge Dakota 5-speed bellhousing.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2286

It has the GM 60 degree V6 pattern. Fit's your AX15 and R154. Next, order from Speedway Motors a GM 60 degree V6 to TH350 adapter. $65.

91628907_L.jpg

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy-4-and-V6-to-TH350-Adapter-Plates,3280.html

Make it work the other way around with the Dakota bellhousing. Cheap... More than likely the flywheel won't fit. Who knows.

I'm just FULL of ideas. :)

Greg

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
But wait! It get's better! Let's say you're REALLY cheap and have access to a machine shop. If thats the case, get the 96-00 Dakota 3.9L V6 bellhousing. It WILL take a big flywheel. It has the standard Mopar Small Block V8 pattern. Fab up your own Chevy to Mopar adpater plate like so:

adaptor_plates1.jpg

Shop teacher is happy. YOU are happy. Win win....

Now, off ya go!

Greg

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Alright ladies I was finally able to get everything together.

The elusive pilot bushing which was the final piece of the puzzle. On the left is the piece that advance adapters sells and on the right is my piece cut down to the right length.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

That finally lead to putting the whole thing together
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Hopefully I will get it stabbed back in the car this weekend and then I can really get rolling.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The advance adapters bellhousing uses an external slave. I have heard about a lot of problems using a hydraulic throwout bearing.

You got the parts I sent you right?

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
p1895617_1.jpg

Yep I guess I just assumed it would have been on the other side regardless.
Well I hope not but guess I'll be the test dummy lol.

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
any upates on this pilot busing, Im doing the same swap and that is all i have left,
I am using an 2004 lm7, advacned adapters bellhousing, custom ordered spec stage 2 clutch and billet fly wheel,
I guess i can ask advance adapters to machine me a bushing based on the differecens in lenght of r150 and r154.

thanks

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Don't have advance do it. They charge an arm and a leg. Find a machine shop local to you and tell them what you want. If you don't want to go to the trouble they will charge about $40 on top of the cost of the bushing to cut it down.

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
hi there, havent been logged in for a while now but i am finally getting some time to start on gathering parts for this swap. I have researchd that the novak adapter is 0.932" thick and because of it you must use a 3/4" long custom bushing as said before. I am still looking for a pattern and measuremnts to make my own adapter although i am looking to make it 0.400(IIRC) thinner so there will be no need for a custom pilot bushing. Again i am by no means trying to take business from novak my intentions are only to make one for myself. I am looking to make and test a thinner version of the adapter to avoid a custom pilot bushing and see how it all goes together i would appreciate if someone could provide me some dimensions and i would have the adapter cut and post the results!!! thanks

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
To tell you the truth you actually need the adapter to be thicker to get the splines of the input shaft out of the large opening. Then you could use a 28mmx12mm pilot bearing. No matter how much you take off you will still need a custom bushing for the smaller step.

As far as dimensions you can get those online in a number of places. The hard part is doing all the calculations to figure where everything is going to sit.

This why I went with making my own bushing. It cut the cost by hundreds of dollars and it is the one custom piece in my setup. The dimensions are easy and I could get a run of them made at this point for about $30 a piece possibly less.

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
thanks for the quick reply! although im not sure if im really understanding. so even if the plate were made thinner you still need a custom bushing? did you mean to say you actually need the adapter "thinner"? I have searched high and low for the dimensions of the adapter and could not find them anywhere have you seen them? if so do you have a link? thanks again

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I did not take dimensions but I did sell one to a member here. I can't remember who it was off the top of my head but he did post pictures up in my build thread. I would make the adapter thicker to get the input shaft splines out of the crankshaft snout. Then you are moving the pressure plate further out and I don't know for sure if that would cause problems with the throwout bearing. There are a lot of parts that interact so it is difficult to say what will and wont work.

With the extra length of the R154 input shaft compared to the R150 the nose of the input shaft sits well into the smaller step of the crank. Thinking about it now if you made the adapter .4" Thinner you might possibly have the splined part of the shaft inside the smaller step and I am not sure what that would do. You would also be moving the pressure plate that much closer to the trans leaving less room for throwout bearing travel.

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
Im trying to think which would be better thicker, thinner or at novaks specs. I understand what you mean hard to say unless you try it. did you end up getting your new setup in your car? which starter did you use with your ls? I think you are referring to "riceman" that you sold it to IIRC Im gonna ask him if he can take some measurements if he doesn't already have his put together

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Starter
p1909808_1.jpg

p1909808_2.jpg

Engien and trans in the car
p1909808_3.jpg

p1909808_4.jpg

Lots of little details to wrap up but I am confidant it will be on the road by March or so depending on how many warm days we get.