SBC/LS1 with R154, anyone done it?

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
MightyAl;1893700 said:
.471" ID x 1.09" OD and for the bushing I was going to make it .75" deep.

In metric 12mm ID x 27.686mm OD x 19mm deep.

Get me a bearing and I will see if it works.

Ok I've got out supply manager on the hunt!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I have a bar of phosphorbronze here I've used for bushes in the past, just get a LOT more miles from bearings on conversions, only caveat there is DON'T use a thin case bearing with small balls.... ;)

7M>Tremec TKO

bush.jpg

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
IJ.;1893707 said:
I have a bar of phosphorbronze here I've used for bushes in the past, just get a LOT more miles from bearings on conversions, only caveat there is DON'T use a thin case bearing with small balls.... ;)

For down and dirty bushings I have been buying the advance adapters bushing for the R150 to go on the LSx engine. It is way too long and I didn't cut down the first one, I cut down the second one but didn't check the ID of the recessed portion, and so I have 2 more coming to me that I will cut down to .75".

I hope I can get enough miles on this thing that the bushig becomes a problem. I think the clutch will get eaten up first.

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
what kind of material should be used for these bearings? also are they just a sleeve or must they have a flange and what not? for example just like a peice of round tubing that is made to those dimensions?

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Ok as for industrial resources closest we can find is od 28mm id 12mm depth 8mm... He's got a few more resources he's gonna source out tomorrow.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
v8nova64;1893731 said:
youre right i wasn't even thinking when i wrote that what about aluminum?

I'm no metal physics expert but since every company uses ball bearing or bronze I'm gonna guess bronze like ij describes above ^^^ for heat dissipation and its softer to absorb deflection in this application without breaking or making damaging shavings

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Bushings are made of oil impregnated sintered bronze or it is sometimes called oilite. The battle between bearings and bushings seems to still be going on. I have found numerous threads arguing each side.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
v8nova64;1893755 said:
found this little pricey though.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pilot-bushing-1090-x-471/

i wonder where i can find oilite round stock

I also have a questions. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the solstice internal slave and 4th gen camaro internal slave?

Also anyone have a pattern and dimensions for making the novak ax15 to sbc adapter?

Lol it's 25 bucks man come on!! Looks like it may be a winner!!
Adapter no I don't have mine yet be here tomorrow :)

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
just thought i could help you guys out with your search for a bushing!!

for my auto teacher $25 is the pricey for a bushing he'd freak lol. We are mating the r154 to an LS in auto class. We have access to all the cnc equipment to make the adapter and bushings. although the adapters and bushings are available he wont let us by them. We have to make them. So thats why i am looking for the pattern and dimensions for the adapter as well as the bushing(thanks). would you be kind enough to draw me up a pattern with some dimensions or a cad file if you know how and email it to me when you get your adapter?

Its the only missing piece of our project (were in the planning stage still have not gathered the parts yet)

hope you can help

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The Novak adapter is just the sbc bellhousing bolt pattern and the r154 trans bolt pattern. Look around a little bit because both are extremely easy to find. The adapter is around 2" thick but that is just a few measurements. Do a little work for yourself man.

The advance adapter bushing is the one that I have screwed up twice. I have 2 more coming my way that I should have machined by next week. Everything should be together and in the car by the weekend after next.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
MightyAl;1893789 said:
The Novak adapter is just the sbc bellhousing bolt pattern and the r154 trans bolt pattern. Look around a little bit because both are extremely easy to find. The adapter is around 2" thick but that is just a few measurements. Do a little work for yourself man.

The advance adapter bushing is the one that I have screwed up twice. I have 2 more coming my way that I should have machined by next week. Everything should be together and in the car by the weekend after next.

Good luck man! I hope to have mine bolted together by then so I can drop in and start on motor mounts. Intake and harness should be in Friday so I've got lots to keep me busy!

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
ok alright. If you guys cant send me the pattern could you get me an exact measurement of the thickness of the adapter than maybe we could just cut out the sbc pattern then trace the r154 pattern onto it by lining up the center bearing retainer hole. Also would we just use a front bearing retainer from whatever internal slave we are using? I think 4th gen camaro slave is what we will be using. Here is what we have planned out:

R154, the adapter, fj cruiser clutch disc, gm munice style bellhousing, 4th gen camaro slave cylinder and front bearing retainer.

Just unsure on which pressure plate, flywheel, clutch fork, clutch housing cover, and throwout bearing (or is one used with internal slave?) hope you guys can help!! Youve been great so far!!

Also we are having a hard time finding oilite round stock for the bushings. I forgot to ask is the dimensions of the bushing for LS engine to r154 or sbc to r154 is there a difference in O.D?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
v8nova64;1893840 said:
ok alright. If you guys cant send me the pattern could you get me an exact measurement of the thickness of the adapter than maybe we could just cut out the sbc pattern then trace the r154 pattern onto it by lining up the center bearing retainer hole. Also would we just use a front bearing retainer from whatever internal slave we are using? I think 4th gen camaro slave is what we will be using. Here is what we have planned out:

R154, the adapter, fj cruiser clutch disc, gm munice style bellhousing, 4th gen camaro slave cylinder and front bearing retainer.

Just unsure on which pressure plate, flywheel, clutch fork, clutch housing cover, and throwout bearing (or is one used with internal slave?) hope you guys can help!! Youve been great so far!!

Also we are having a hard time finding oilite round stock for the bushings. I forgot to ask is the dimensions of the bushing for LS engine to r154 or sbc to r154 is there a difference in O.D?

Yes to all

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
v8nova64;1893913 said:
sorry for the long post. hope you guys dont mind helping me out
This is awful fishy... First you wanted to buy it, then you want us to give you all the measurements so "your shop class can build it" but I find this
p1894881_1.jpg

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
we are doing the ax15 to sbc in my shop class. I am also thinking of doing the swap in my car behind an Lq9 instead with the r154 the supras came with. The idea to do it in my car actually came from the project we are going to do in auto. After i was told my t5 wouldn't hold up to the power from the Lq9 and the r154 is capable of some serious torque i started looking into it,. I would be buying the adapter if i choose to do the swap in my car my teacher won't let me make it if he knew i would be using it in my car and its on the road (liability) and machine shops would charge more than the actual adapters worth. Like i said earlier the adapter for the ax15 to sbc we are doing in auto cannot be bought so thats where we need the pattern. For my swap if i decide to do it i will be looking for a good used one to keep the cost down. basically all the questions in my post i am asking for myself if i decide to do the swap. the posts about the adapter are for school. sorry i wasn't being very clear explaining in my posts.