SBC/LS1 with R154, anyone done it?

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
Hi there I think I have got the dimensions for my adapter just about figured out! I have the pattern for the r154. All I need now is the Chevy pattern which is actually harder to find than I suspected! The other thing I would need is if some one with a Novak gmax15 adapter could measure the depth of the recessed area where the Toyota front bearing retainer sits in? And the depth on the front where the gm bearing retainer fits in? Along with the thickness of the plate at the thinnest point (two recessed areas ((front bearing retainer hole))!? And how large that hole is? Your help is greatly appreciated!

R154V8supra

Jan 30, 2013
united states
MightyAl;1909780 said:
I did not take dimensions but I did sell one to a member here. I can't remember who it was off the top of my head but he did post pictures up in my build thread. I would make the adapter thicker to get the input shaft splines out of the crankshaft snout. Then you are moving the pressure plate further out and I don't know for sure if that would cause problems with the throwout bearing. There are a lot of parts that interact so it is difficult to say what will and wont work.

With the extra length of the R154 input shaft compared to the R150 the nose of the input shaft sits well into the smaller step of the crank. Thinking about it now if you made the adapter .4" Thinner you might possibly have the splined part of the shaft inside the smaller step and I am not sure what that would do. You would also be moving the pressure plate that much closer to the trans leaving less room for throwout bearing travel.

MightyAl, I'm doing the same setup as your but with Novak gmax15 adapter to Ls1 using R154 tranny. Do you sell the pilot bushing or buy the Advance adapter PN# 716149-NS pilot bushing? Thanks.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
R154V8supra;1910715 said:
MightyAl, I'm doing the same setup as your but with Novak gmax15 adapter to Ls1 using R154 tranny. Do you sell the pilot bushing or buy the Advance adapter PN# 716149-NS pilot bushing? Thanks.

I buy the advance adapter bushing and cut it down to 1". The 1.5" length is too long and wont let the trans bolt up. It was meant to work with the 1" shorter input shaft on the R150.

I guess I should just have a batch machined since I have all the dimensions and drawings but I am afraid that I would only sell a few.

v8nova64

Nov 18, 2012
!!
got te chevy pattern drawn up and it should be very close! anyone with a novak adapter know the depth it is recessed on the back side for the r154 retainer and the front side for the gm bearing retainer? and the size of the hole? also needing the bolt pattern for the gm bearing retainer if someones got it but its not much a big deal as the other measurements

thanks in advance

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
Good progress on my end. A machinist at my work cut some plate based on mightyals drawings and I got those tig welded. He also machined my pilot bushing. All of the pieces are complete and ready for assembly

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
so its been about a year to the day and Im starting to get some more parts for the project.

cxracing makes a set of lsx logn tube headers for the mk3, however the issue is that the clearances are so tight that i need to convert to a hydraulic release bearing.
im trying to get a hold of spec to get a off the shelf conversion for r154

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
Grifter, where have you gotten with this?

I'm now leaning towards the R154 for longevity and availability reasons over the Tremec, but the lack of decent clutch options off the shelf, has me concerned. What few kits I have seen for the LSx-> Aisen don't have nearly the holding capacity that I will require for my build... 5-600 ft/lbs is a little beyond what I'd expect a full-face, single 10" disc to take.

I'd really rather not have to get in touch with Mcleod for a one-off, nor do I feel like taking that large of a financial hit.

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
truthfully i wish i went with tremec from the beginning, peicemealing the drivetrain has brought a lot of issues

1. the motor mounts that mightyal provided in cad are awesome, the engine and trans bolt up perfectly....
2. since i am using and are going to use the long tubes, they were built around and lsx/t56 setup which was 2" further forward than the mightyal setup.m so
with clearance being so tight, the headers dont fit so I now have to move my engien forward 1-2"
3.now that the engine is forward, the shifter is forwar, and i will need a custom driveshaft to make up the lenght, this will be deteermined later on

my drivetrain consists of
used but good r154 $300
advanced adatper bell houseing $400
Spec stage 2+ lsx flywheel and clutch with 21 spline disc $650
clutch hydraulics to be determined $3-400
driveshaft $300

as you can see i well broke into t56 territory.

since this has been going on for 2 years the costs are spread out over a large time frame, however now that i am getting serious with the car its gonna cost me more to fix

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
That's right, you're trying out the CXracing stuff, correct?

I may have to revise my plans as well. Disappointing, I would have liked the option of the Aisen if the Tremec continues to be so illusive. (Though a buddy from a local shop is starting to try and push me toward the 80E.)

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
i got my new mounts forward 1.5 inches, now the long tubes clear and shift will have to be be bent back a little bit. the cx racing long tubes do have some flaws that i will be recorrecting. i will try to get some pics up today or tomorrow

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
Updates, buddy?

I missed out on a (THIRD!) Tremec locally this weekend. Looking like I may be forced to go auto if I want to get the ball rolling already...

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
going on slowly, harness is about 75 percent there, i am starting with my cooling system and air intake. i wil be doing an angle mount radiator and a full 4" aluminum intake piping below the headlight bucket for cold air

Donnie

Mar 27, 2009
Chicago
You're leaps ahead of me still then- Garage space ended up consumed by three other projects and a different engine swap... Should have her in and ready to get to work within the month.

Been collecting parts in the meantime at least, including a 4l80E, and began my electronics last week. (Working 12s kills progress like no other)

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Woo! sorry to necro my old thread after this long, but i'm finally back in the game. Planning on a much simpler LM7 swap this time around (i've spent the last 2 years doing several LS swaps in 88-98 chevy trucks) so i've pretty much become an expert on them lol. Glad to see so many have gotten their builds together in the time i've been out of the Supra game.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I have not, I came across an awesome deal on an ls2 so I haven't done anything on actual swap components yet. I'd planned on the same setup that mightyal used for his l33

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Im trying to get mine going Im just running into a few issues, i think misinformation is the culprit. The 87 subrame isnt lining up at all, going to try an 89+ today

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Didn't realize they were different, taught all the ma70 chassis were the same. What are you running into

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk