SBC/LS1 with R154, anyone done it?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I've been researching alternative motors for my Mk3, I love the 7MGTE but it just doesn't have the low end torque that i love. Recently i ran across this:http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_gmax15.htm Since both the R154 and AX15 are build by Aisin-Warner, they share a bolt pattern meaning that any R154 can be fitted to a GM bellhousing/throwout bearing and bolted directly to any Gen1-Gen3 motor. I was wondering if this had ever been done before in a Supra as it would lead to Much easier sbc or LSX conversions. I for one plan to try it with a mildly built SBC before moving up to an LS1. This also means there would be no need to convert the speedometer, or make a custom tranny mount as the original mount and driveshaft could be used as well.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Search on here for it. The guy I bought my supra from had planned on doing the swap but never completed it. He had a build thread here. He did manage to bolt it up to a gm bell using that kit. However he did hack up the r154 front bearing retainer. I'll post a pic of the carnage in a bit.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

p1758190_1.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

apparently the off road crowd uses the 154 also. Hit up some of those forums for more help.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Found the link. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?106644-LS1-Supra-Swap&highlight=ls1*

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Thought about using a t56 but in stock form they don't hold up well under pressure, not without some modifications. plus the whole issue with the speedo and drive shaft. one of my concerns is that with the adapter plate and bell housing the motor will sit too far forward, anyone know the length of the 7mgte and the r154 together and apart? interested in how he managed to tear up the bearing retainer, the ax transmissions these are designed for are esentially the same transmissions with alonger input shafts and and different tail shafts. going to check out that build thread but i think i'd looked at it previously as i did with Ij's turbo ls1 thread

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There was also a guy on here by the name of Syst that did an LS6 into his Mk3, was a nice build while it lasted. I believe he may have used the T56 though. Good driving transmission, it's a shame they don't hold up all that well...

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Hmm. I used the advanced adapter bellhousing to make a Chevy 4.3 V6 (350 minus 2 cylinders) 2 a R151.
By definition, the crank flange needs to sit in the same spot, regardless of engine, otherwise the input shaft won't engage the pilot bearing.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
So it seems that though sbc's and LS swaps have been done, there has never been a "bolt in" solution. I am currently wondering if the mounts that have already been designed will work, or if i'll have to fabricate my own. I know once i have mounts for the SBC, i'll just need the bolt on mount adapters to go on the sides of the ls1. I was concerned about the length of the transmission affecting fitment of the motor into the engine bay but a bit of logic suggests that if the input shaft remains the same, then the overall length of the transmission is going to remain almost identical I don't have a measuring tape on me at the moment, but as the bare block on the 7m is around 23 inches long, i'm estimating with front accessories it's about 30 inches (inclucing the fan). Does anyone have the actual length (and width/ height) with the engine assembled?

te72, i'd love to get the LS6 as it's rated much better out of the box, but i think that for my goals an LS1 with cams and heads will be sufficient. My modified 350 is estimated at about 315hp (hasn't been run since the new intake and cam were put in) with a top end of about 5500 RPM.

By my estimation the combination of that motor at 5500rpm, with my 245/45/18's and a .753 final drive gear would top out at around 148mph with alot of balls along the way. That is of course if the chart i found is correct and my 87 Turbo has a 3.91 rear end (not sure as it was an auto-tragic to manual swap done before i bought it and i can't seem to find any consistent information about rear end ratios...) Any and all thoughts are welcome i want to gather as much of the correct information as i possibly can so i can set this project in motion and have a bolt in SBC Supra by Spring.
74585_155392444502388_100000948998117_249200_3826916_n.jpg

This also means i'll have a good 7MGTE for sale soon if anyone is interested.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
i know that it was originally an a340, as i still have the buttons located down by the shifter for the transmission modes, as well as the vin code and the instrument cluster with the two extra lights on the Tach, what i don't know is which rear end gears i have, or which ones i should go with in the end, the 350 is limited to around 5500 rpm to avoid spinning a bearing, while the ls1 will run up to 6500 top end when finished. the 3.91 seems to be the best all around rear end for speed vs traction and economy, as it's in the middle end of the spectrum available in our cars.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I'll take that into consideration IJ, probably gonna put new bearings in it before it goes in the car anyways, gotta source a pan that will fit to go on the motor anyways, any recommendations? not sure of the difference in dimensions between the truck pan it has now, and and f body pan. I'm thinking an fbody is gonna be the way to go as long as it fits around the stearing rack also ty bio, i found so many conflicting sources i wasn't sure what was right.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Not sure what you mean and i'm too tired to get under the car and look atm, i know theres the front subframe where the steering rack is mounted, is the chassis brace infront of or behind that? a pic may help if you have one as a google search didn't turn much up. When you built your turbo ls1 what did you do with it IJ?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Kai;1758724 said:
Ugh. Why not just get a 1UZ-FE, the bellhousing for it, and have an easier time wiring it all in? Oh, and it'll all be toyota instead of soiling the shell with non-toyotaness :/

Just not worth the time and effort for 1000cc more...