Project Clean 89

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Shouldn't be too hard to find a new pulley and get her up and running again. If you're going to part out the 89, now is the time to upgrade your 87. Swap over the tails, side mirrors and cut out your Turbo A duct and re-graft it onto the 89 front bumper cover. Even though you will have to get all the pieces painted, you will have alot better looking Supra in the end! :icon_razz

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
honestabe;1321542 said:
I'm looking into getting a used ATI dampener. I love my side mirrors. The tails I'm keeping pre-89, and I'm keeping my front bumper the way it is. Tom, you're funny.

I wasn't trying to be funny:: facepalm ::...:icon_surp just merely pointing out a perfect opportunity to upgrade! I think the 87/88's:barf: are hideous looking, compared to 89+. Just my opinion though, but I'll bet there are more people that feel that way than not!!!:werd:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
the one piece rear tail light is hideous, the nose bump is ugly... 86.5-88 FTMFW!!!!

the only thing I'd take from the 89 is the mouldings, sell the rest

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
yeah, I think I will take the mouldings and just paint them gunmetal if I can find it for plastic paint. I picked up some 89+ molding pieces yesterday but not everything. Better to just get a complete set and repaint them and now is the perfect time to do it.

Vawter

Apr 16, 2009
Columbus
Vacationtime247;1320687 said:
Got a pressure washer? If not, load it up in the back of your truck and head to the local car wash. Even if you do have a pressure washer, all that grit and grime is better left at the car wash instead of your drive. Car wash cleaning seems to work real well for engine / trannys.
VT247

Haha happy you don't live by me I work at a car wash and I have to clean that stuff up all the time lol. I could never make a mess of a bay again I'd feel to bad.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
In my defense I had a '90 Supra for my first Supra. I like several aspects of the 89+'s, including the stronger subframes, gauge clusters (what I currently rock in turbo form), trim, lack of headlight squirters, interior (I believe mine is 89+, I think), the stock 3-piece wing, and a few other things.

Adam

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
if you have a checkered pattern upholstry and holes in the door panels instead of a little grille for the tweeter, you have a pre 89 interior..

also if the door handles are skinny and square they're pre 89..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
nice nice! I like certain pre 89 interior parts, especially the door panels (I swapped a set into my 89 before I swapped those out for 92 panels), I just don't like the pre 89 checkered pattern, and the cloth covered speaker grilles, that fade and turn purple (for us blue interior guys)...