Project Cherry Widebody - Pics and overview thread

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I get PM'd and asked so many questions about my car, that I've decided to put all the photos and details in this thread, linked from my signature.

Original 1.5-year long build thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29531

New VIDEO: A short mix of photos and footage I threw together:
High-quality link: http://tinyurl.com/awepju (just ignore the message in the video to click "HQ")
Low-quality: http://tinyurl.com/clwhgx

The car is an '87 that I bought 2 years ago off eBay, with a 7MGTE and BPU upgrades to 393rwhp at 17psi. I drove it as it was for a year while choosing and sourcing the rare and expensive body parts. I then dropped it off with Randy at BIC performance to blend all the body kit parts together to fit the ultra-low offset work wheels.

None of the body kit parts were originally designed to go together, and I took a chance hoping it would all turn out. Randy came up with the great idea for the rear wing.

Front bumper: Bomex, filled vents, widened
Rear bumper: Kaminari, widened
Sideskirts: StyleAuto from Germany, modified/widened to match the rear fenders
Rear fenders: Kaze (Japan) widened an extra 1"
Front fenders: widened/sectioned stock fenders
Hood: CFX raised cowl carbon fibre hood (1 of 4 ever made)
Rear wing: Aftermarket Honda wing, modified to fit
Wheels: Work Equip, F: 18"x9" offset -7(minus seven), R: 18" x 10.5" offset -10(minus 10) 3" DISH(front), and 4.5" DISH(rear)
Tires: BFG KD: Front 245/35R-18 Rear 295/30R-18
Tail lights: Custom hand-made LED retrofit built by me: write up: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50058
Headlights: Custom low-profile HID retrofitted camaro lens/PIAA high beams built by me. Write up: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18406

In slow traffic people are rolling down their windows and asking me "what is it?". I'm also noticing more tailgaters, possibly wanting a closer look or to find a badge revealing it's make.
Build4 003.jpg

Build4 016.jpg

HID's
Build4 034.jpg

Build5 041.jpg

Build5 005.jpg

Build5 007.jpg

Build5 020.jpg

Last edited:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Interior has been mostly finished for a while now, but finally got some pics. I have LED dome lights that make the seats look an odd color. I ordered these seat covers before I chose the paint color, and this was the darkest red mock suede they had available. I wish I had gone darker, but I will live with it for now! All stock plastic and vinyl parts I painstakingly prepped and painted with SEM graphite paint. The number of hours to do this is enormous, but it really leaves the look of a brand new interior! It is very very durable as long as you use the SEM vinyl prep, and the plastic prep and plastic adhesion promoter.

BEFORE: This is how it looked when I bought the car....!!

b4_3.jpg

55_3.jpg

AFTER:
Goodies seen here:
- Momo Jet steering wheel and shift knob
- Suprasport V3 Jim King short throw shifter (super nice feel btw!)
- Speedhut custom gauge covers, Speedhut Revolution 30psi custom boost gauge
- Custom waterjet-cut carbon fibre gauge bezel
- New OEM stereo bezel and column covers
- 89+ Climate control LED retrofit
- Tein EDFC (new black face model)
- Digital wideband gauge
- Mega-bright dome LED retrofit
- 91 door panels with custom fiberglass mounts for the MB Quart 5.25" speakers
- Eclipse CD7200 MkII head unit, A/D/S tweeters
- Alpine subs in the box I built
- Optima yellow top in aluminum box wrapped in carbon fiber sticker sheet

int 005.jpg

int 006.jpg

int 008.jpg

int 012.jpg

int 022.jpg

int 001.jpg

int 002.jpg

int 003.jpg

int 024.jpg

int 026.jpg

int 027.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Here are some pics from my LED tail light retrofit with a YouTube video of them in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB3SA8IVnow (be sure to click "watch in high quality")

Sorry, I will not build any more, for any price! (I've been asked dozens of times)

Cost: a few hundred bucks in parts, dozens and dozens of hours of research and tedious labor. All LED's except for the reverse are 70ma superflux LED's from future electronics. All circuits are regulated at 12 volts and the marker lights are dimmed with a PWM (pulse-width modulator) circuit with an adjustment knob I installed on the back of the left tail housing.

You can see a lot through the lens so everything had to be painted either black or chrome. I later tinted the red areas of the tails dark so the 3 clear bars stand out.

Can you spot the painted resistors blending in, in this photo?
Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Voltage regulators, switching circuit, and PWM installed into removable panel:
Untitled-23.jpg

The curvature of the lens made it very difficult to create PCB boards that fit nicely.
Untitled-46.jpg

Marker/tail lights on:
Untitled-27.jpg

Turn signal:
Untitled-36.jpg

Untitled-37.jpg

Reverse led's are 80ma per and have 4 chips each. Crazy bright!
Untitled-34.jpg

Untitled-28.jpg

Dimmer adjustment knob for marker lights:
Untitled-24.jpg

I was able to line up the LED's so they shine through the thin lines in the reflector area, so the light does not get scattered. Is this phat or what!?
Untitled-41.jpg

low1%20(Large).JPG

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I'd just like to say, I wish I had your bank roll to build my Supra into something like yours. The tail lights, the body work, and the interior lights are absolutely phenominal! Very, very sexy Supra bro. You should come down to the Burlington area along with Jayhall for a meet some time once I move up there.

Adam

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Props to Randy on his body work, it looks amazing.

What size tires are those, and rims/offset? Is that the beefiest you could stuff under the wells?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Keros;1172399 said:
Props to Randy on his body work, it looks amazing.

What size tires are those, and rims/offset? Is that the beefiest you could stuff under the wells?

Wheel info is listed in post #1, I went with tires that fit the rims as they were. I measured the the wheel wells and they are big enough to run 275 fronts and 345 rears! BF Goodrich makes a 345/30/18 drag radial. I might stuff those under there down the road when I have some horsepower that needs it!:naughty:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Some more pics I found on my hard drive. I really need to have a proper photographer with a pro camera do a photoshoot. This candy paint has so much color and darkness variation depending on the lighting! I plan to do this eventually and I think some much better pics are in store, but it's been 2 weeks of solid rain here.

P.S. none of the photos in this thread have been photoshopped or touched up at all. These came straight off an average Canon Phowershot Elph camera.

Build5 002.jpg

Build5 006.jpg

Build5 009.jpg

Build5 011.jpg

Build5 012.jpg

Build5 016.jpg

Build5 018.jpg

Build5 025.jpg

Build5 030.jpg

Last edited:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Check this out. By complete LUCK, the top ridge of the Aftermarket Honda wing totally lines up with the angle of the side window trims! Straight out of the box! The pointed tips just needed to be shortened a bit.

11 035.jpg

These pics are without the mouldings, but the angle of the sun was PERFECT for the photos, so I had to show them!
Build3&

Build3%20079.jpg

Build3%20035.jpg

Build3%20082.jpg

Build3%20090.jpg

Build3%20091.jpg

Last edited:

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Love this car, the only think I dont like about it is the muffler though it sounds awesome I think a dual-tip muffler would look much better.

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
wow, this car is absolutely phenominal! total props man for not having a life but to build one of the sickest looking mk3's that ive seen. i love your car man!

any pics of the engine bay by chance?????