oldskool-nick's Official Build Thread

Today I made a heatshield for my turbo:
IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

Thats it for now. I've been spending money on non-Supra things lately (which is no fun) but I only have a few more things to do before the engine is ready to go in!

-Nick

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
NICK! Lookin good buddy... I love the custom fab stuff you got goin on there... It's sweet to be able to do stuff like that, makes your engine bay stand out, makes it pop!

Reign_Maker said:
NICK! Lookin good buddy... I love the custom fab stuff you got goin on there... It's sweet to be able to do stuff like that, makes your engine bay stand out, makes it pop!

Thanks! I really enjoy the custom fabrication, its cool to come up with a concept in your head, then go buy some metal and turn raw materials into something functional. I dunno, its pretty much the only art form that I've ever been good at :)

89jdm7m said:
is this motor you're building a ge or a gte... i'm seeing parts from both...

It's kind of a combination. The internals are all from a ge, but the electronics, ecu, wiring harness, valve covers, intake manifold, and TB are all from a gte. The transmission is a W58, and everything else is pretty much aftermarket.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Nick: I saw what Ian posted, but wasn't sure you noticed. Very good then. I'd say a WIX filter is your best bet, unless you can get Moroso locally.
Also, about the gauges, I take it back. That's a fine idea and it certainly makes sense... I like it too, btw ;)

levi1717

May 27, 2006
Corinth, Maine
if you are using a ge block how or did you solve the oil squirters? did you just not worry about it? or did i miss something?

but that engine looks amazing when i build mine this winter i'm painting it all black also. i'll make sure to make a build thread.

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while, but I have done quite a bit!

levi1717 said:
if you are using a ge block how or did you solve the oil squirters? did you just not worry about it? or did i miss something?

but that engine looks amazing when i build mine this winter i'm painting it all black also. i'll make sure to make a build thread.

Yeah, I'm just gonna run without the oil squirters. IMO (meaning I may be wrong) the oil squirters are more of a feature and they are not really necessary, but I'm not sure. Ian (IJ) is using a ge block without oil squirters, right? Either way, I ain't got none. Thanks for the compliment too :)

Okay, now on to some more pictures!

I installed my Walbro fuel pump:
IMG_0921.JPG

And my exhaust:
IMG_0926.JPG

My Spec stage 2+ clutch:
IMG_0939.JPG

Got my flywheel resurfaced:
IMG_0954.JPG

Engine Assembled:
IMG_0962.JPG

IJ. said:
Nick: I used to run the GE block but bought a brand new GTE as my Pauter rods don't have the squirter holes in them!

Ahhhh. Do you think not having the oil squirters will be much of a problem? I am using the GE rods, which I always thought were the same as the GTE rods, but why would Toyota put the squirter holes in them if the GE didn't have squirters?

...Its been a long time since I've had it apart.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I'm keeping an eye on this, as I'm using the GE block and head. Everything looks awesome so far, shoot some videos of the final product. BTW, what black paint is that that you used on your valve covers and where did you get it? Also, what is your clutch setup gonna be?

-Matt

GotToyota? said:
I'm keeping an eye on this, as I'm using the GE block and head. Everything looks awesome so far, shoot some videos of the final product. BTW, what black paint is that that you used on your valve covers and where did you get it? Also, what is your clutch setup gonna be?

-Matt

Thanks! The black paint is just high-temp spray paint from the local parts store. It is the ceramic paint that you can bake in the oven, but I didn't want to ruin my oven, so I didn't. We'll see how it holds up.

There is a pic of my clutch and FW on page 5, its the SPEC Stage 2+. I got it from HorsepowerFreaks.com (their service is outstanding btw). The car has been built for the street, and that was the most streetable, afforable, and capable of holding the most torque (in my price range). I'll let you know what I think of it if I ever get the car running :aigo:

-Nick

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick: The 2 different squirters have 2 distinct jobs!

GTE Block squirters spray the underside of the pistons crowns aiding heat transfer away from them to the Oil cooler.

Rod squirters spray the thrust side of the bore to help lubricate it and reduce wear.

I don't think you'd have an issue without the Block squirters I'm only using them to get some lube onto the bores as I said the Pauters don't have the holes so I was concerned about wear.

SupraJDS said:
I love the Flat black engine bay :love: Nice work man.

:) Thanks man!

IJ. said:
Nick: The 2 different squirters have 2 distinct jobs!

GTE Block squirters spray the underside of the pistons crowns aiding heat transfer away from them to the Oil cooler.

Rod squirters spray the thrust side of the bore to help lubricate it and reduce wear.

I don't think you'd have an issue without the Block squirters I'm only using them to get some lube onto the bores as I said the Pauters don't have the holes so I was concerned about wear.

Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up for me Ian :)