oldskool-nick's Official Build Thread

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
Looks good but unfortunately you wont be able to run that turbo on that manifold, at least not woth out getting a new exhaust housing. Since that turbo has an on center exhaust housing it will hit the shocktower. To remedy this you will need to get a tangental housing. I actually had the same manifold back in the day and ran into the same problem. here are some pics of a kit im putting together right now using the actual HKS turbo that came with the kit. You can see its a tangental housing and its even close to the shock tower.
p226522_1.jpg

p226522_2.jpg

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
Its better that he finds out now instead of when he is trying to get the motor in and it wout go because the turbo is hitting the shock tower and frame rail. I remember the frustration when i tore all my stock turbo stuff off to find out the damn turbo didnt fit on the HKS mani and then had to put it all back on in order to drive to work the next day:runaway: thats why im glad i dont DD the supras anymore.

Yeah, I put the turbo on to check the clearance before I pulled the engine, and it does hit the shock tower. But I already bought the T04 flanges and I will be making an adapter to get just enough clearance. Also, did you mean the wastegate is hitting the frame rail? Because that is one of my biggest fears. But according to my calculations it should just barely fit.

Your setup looks really nice, btw.

Last edited:
I got up early this morning and bought a metal chop saw and some misc. metal. Then I went to town on my hatch.

Started with a blank canvas:
IMG_0806.JPG

Carpeted the back of my seats:
IMG_0807.JPG

I finally built the hatch cross-bar that I have been thinking about for a while now. This was probably the biggest metal fabrication project I have ever done and I just made it up as I went along. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:
IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

It's held in by 4 bolts and it's easily removable. I welded it with my crappy flux-cored wire feed welder, but the welds are really strong. I can actually stand on it and it doesn't flex at all.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
OT probably, but how do the fittings on the valve covers come out? I want to put AN fittings on the valvecovers in their place..

supra90turbo said:
OT probably, but how do the fittings on the valve covers come out? I want to put AN fittings on the valvecovers in their place..

I have no idea, but i was wondering the same thing after I saw SD2JZA70s pictures. (You probably directed that question towards him anyway, thus making this post completely pointless, but its my thread, so I'll make all the pointless posts I want).......lol

Anyway, goodnight sm

N

NDBoost

very nice setup my friend. Awesome build alot of what i saw here is what i wanted to do on my supra. Im loving the little metal tray thing for the gauges in the engine bay its sexy

cuzihadtoo

Mar 30, 2005
Lancaster, PA
yah man your car is deffentally looking sharp. mines still at my friends shop gettin all the body work taking care of. than when i get it back ima have a lot of work to do from installing the stearo again and my interrior and cleaning up the motor. just went with the front facing intake manifold set up. looks so much sharper with that also loving the new i/c and piping. im hopeing to have my car back soon. he's pretty close of being done just alot of clean up still and make everything mint but really soon have some nice pic's for u's :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Nick, I must say... that gauge/switch panel is beautiful! I understand the oil pressure gauge, but what's the point to the boost gauge? Also, what does the switch operate?

also,
supra90turbo said:
get rid of that Fram!

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
nice work nick! I also have a similar gauge panel on my drivers side shock tower-cleans up the bay alot, and looks nice! Nice work on the build-and really nice work on the crossbar!

NDBoost: Thanks! I appreciate it.

Trav: Cool man, I can't wait to see it! Thanks for the compliments too, my car is coming together slowly but its taking longer than I expected.

Kurt: Thanks! I put the boost gauge in so that it is easy to monitor vacuum/boost during tuning, troubleshooting, etc. Is it necessary? Nope, but I like it. The switch is for the gauge lights.

And:

supra90turbo said:
get rid of that Fram!

IJ. said:
Nick: It'll do fine for the initial startup but toss it after the first 50 miles before it gets a chance to block up with crap and start bypassing.
^I'll swith to a Wix or Moroso once I get it running.

Ray:Thanks man! Yeah I'm really happy with how the gauge panel turned out. I've pretty much just been making this stuff up as I go along, so considering the lack of planning, I think everything is coming together nicely. Thanks for the compliments!