oldskool-nick's Official Build Thread

I figure that its about time I make a build thread, especially since I started this project back in November :aigo:

I don't make much money and I'm still learning a lot as I'm going along, so this is a fairly modest build.

Overview:
Basics:
I am using my 7m-ge longblock with about 5k miles on a fresh rebuild (Toyota parts, machined head, ARP head studs, etc) and I will be using the high compression stock (but forged!) ge pistons, which should be interesting. I will be keeping the W-58 transmission with most likley a Spec stage 2 clutch. I will also be keeping the 4.30 open diff.

Turbo Stuff:
My turbo is a Garrett T04B that I bought over 2 years ago and embarassingly, I forget most of the specs on it. I'm almost positive it has a .59a/r and I know its the c-trim with a 3" inlet. I will be using a HKS cast manifold, XSpower external wastegate, Blitz BOV, and the stock intercooler with 2" piping. I will also be using a Golden Eagle vacuum manifold for all of my turbo accessories.

Fuel System:
I have a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Bosch rising-rate FPR, and RC 550cc injectors. I also am using a 90degree -6an fitting for my feed and I retapped the rail for a 1/4" NPT fitting to go back to the pressure regulator.

Oil System:
I will be using an RX7 oil cooler, mainly because of the built-in thermostat (not to mention it's freakin' huge!), and an oil filter relocation kit. I used a -4an fitting to "T" off of the oil pressure sensor for my turbo feed, and I had a small plate welded into the pan with -10an fitting in it for the turbo return.

Engine Management:
I will be using the MAFT-Pro with the MAP sensor, IAT sensor, and boost controller for tuning. I'm also going to be getting either an AEM wideband or a LM-1, I haven't decided. Those 2 things are the only major things I still need to buy.

I think thats most of it, but I'm sure I forgot some things so I will update it as I remember them. I will probably be posting more pics than explanations, mainly because a lot of the pics are self-explanatory. But if you have any comments or questions, they are definatley welcome.

Now for the plethora of pictures! :boink:

-Nick

BTW, 56K: upgrade immediatley.

Wayyyy back in November:
removal1.JPG

removal2.JPG

removal8.JPG

removal4.JPG

removal3.JPG

removal5.JPG

removal6.JPG

Did a little bit of polishing, but I had to stop because the inside of my Black and Decker "mouse" sander caught on fire and burned up the motor....lol. This was the first time I ever polished anything, so I'm happy with it.
cleaning2.JPG

cleaning3.JPG

My BOV:
cleaning4.JPG

My massive RX7 oil cooler:
cleaning6.JPG

Then I went to town on the valve covers:
sm_cleaning7.JPG

sm_assembly1.JPG

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yeah. Definitely get rid of that Fram!
Good to see you back around Nick... I don't recall seeing you lately...
You sure do like those brass fittings though, eh?

Keep it up! I like the heatshield btw.

supra90turbo said:
Yeah. Definitely get rid of that Fram!
Good to see you back around Nick... I don't recall seeing you lately...
You sure do like those brass fittings though, eh?

Keep it up! I like the heatshield btw.

Well I just bought it today, so I might not have lost the reciept yet.

But did I miss something, whats wrong with fram? I have run fram filters on all of my cars in the past and never had a problem. What brand should I buy? Honestly, you guys don't even have to give me a reason and I'll get a different brand, lol. I know you know your shiznit.

Yeah I haven't been around here much since I've been working like crazy and I've been in the garage until 2am a few too many nights these past few weeks.

And those brass fittings are so damn expensive, I have to show them off ;)

-Nick

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick: It'll do fine for the initial startup but toss it after the first 50 miles before it gets a chance to block up with crap and start bypassing.

I run the Moroso heavy case race style filters just for the security of mind in case I forget and buzz the motor a bit when cold.

I find they're a good compromise between filtering and flow and not that expensive considering how much is in my motor.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Usually parts stores have a little display of fram vs wix vs hastings filters or something like that. If you ever see one, take a peek. You'll wonder why you ever trusted Fram.

That's too bad that those fittings are so expensive. They're not too appealing to the eye :(
As long as they do whats intended, I'm not one to pick on another person's car! Keep it up Nick. Don't kill yourself working too hard!!!