New Guy - DeSloths Aussie MA70 Project (56k Warning)

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

We have really average roads here, and the bumper is already flirting with the pavement as it sits. Any sort of lip would just get mangled instantly. If I lift the car a touch (which I plan to), I will try and get a stock lip with brake ducting. I don't really like the bomex...

Here is another picture - was taken the same afternoon. Highly deceptive when it comes to paint condition, but whatever :)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I've just read your thread and I have to say I really like what you have done with your car, look forward to seeing what you do next.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Bringing this bad-boy back from the dead. Just thought I would revive this thread to keep a log of progress and hopefully motivate myself. I had a rough year with uni, so the Supra was put on the back burner for a while.

Yesterday I bought her some presents! Basic stuff, but some nice new leads and plugs should go down nicely.

p1183215_1.jpg

Also placed an order with Toyota, it should be here soon. More to come! :)

I also have a question - I am replacing a lot of old and cracked hoses around the head. For the ISC and PCV hoses - what kind of hose should I be using? Obviously it needs to be oil tolerant. I only went toa one store but the largest size they had speficially for oil was 3/8" (10mm) oil cooler hose. I will be ordering the Hose Techniques silicone hose kit and was hoping these hoses will be included in the kit?

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Thanks for the heads up, and yep I have no intention of using worm drive clamps on silicone hose. :) Clamps are for the heater and 10mm oil cooler hose in the pics. Will get the proper one's for silicone once I have the actual hoses.

For the ISC and PCV, what kind of hose SHOULD I use?

Theromostat, upper and lower rad hoses, valve cover gaskets (1 2 and 3) and other misc crap is on the way from toyota.

I am having some second thoughts about the oil-element K&N filter. It was on the car when I bought it, and was planning to just clean and re-install. I will replace it eventually, but in the meantime is it wise to use an oiled filter element on a MAF car?

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Anyone have tips on the above?

I have cleaned the K&N filter, but not sure if it's a great idea to stick it back on...

The toyota fairy delivered some stuff today. All pretty basic but hopefully the car appreciates it :)

p1187068_1.jpg

Not thrilled with the way my #3 valve cover gasket was packaged. This is a $90 AUD Gasket btw... I'd have happily paid a few extra bucks to not have it folded into a pre-paid bag. Oh well.

p1187068_2.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Man that sucks, I bought one just recently and it didnt even come in cardboard but I picked it up from the dealer so maybe thats why

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Yeah it just comes in a plastic bag.. they added some random cardboard (packaging for 10 oil filters apparently) for protection. Then bent it at 30 degrees right on a sealing surface. Oh well, it's straight now. :)

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
I did a bit more work today.. Things didn't go so well.

Here is what the #3 cam cover looked like. It was NOT damaged during removal. It was installed exactly as pictured.

p1189665_1.jpg

A crapload of sealant had been used to try and get this to seal (unsuccessfully). All it did was set rock hard, crack, and leak copious amounts of oil down onto my spark plugs. I thought I was going to round out the 14mm hex heads on the oil galley plugs trying to bust them loose.

Unfortunately, I damaged myself and the car getting one of these undone... More on that later.

I expected the #3 cover / gasket to be bad, so purchased a replacement. I will also replace the cam cover gaskets while I am at it.

I pulled the plugs to check how things were looking. Seemed ok, but will do a compression test tomorrow. This shows the amount of oil around the plug for cylinder #6. This could be why it was missing!

p1189665_2.jpg

Before I pulled the plug, I sucked a syringe full of oil from the galley. Yummy...

p1189665_3.jpg

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
nice work dude! btw what type of paint did you use, im planning on painting my front end once money comes around but i need to know what is the best type of paint close to OEM shine, thanks and keep it up :)

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
WOW Awsome work man.You should pat yourself on the back for all that.I can't wait to see the car when it's all done.

p.s.you should start making a group buy for tho's moldings.I bet you people would pay big bucks for them.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Thanks guys.

I used 2 pack paint. It's nasty stuff, and don't plan on doing it again.

The moldings were easy enough to do once they were off the car, but VERY time consuming and labour intensive. Again not something I am eager to repeat.

I need a hand identifying something though. I had a quick look in the TRSM but couldn't figure it out.

I broke a connector as well as the sensor off at the base. What is it? (the brown one with the ziptie) Obviously it involves the cooling system but I'm just not 100% sure.

p1190370_1.jpg

p1190370_2.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
I also did a compression test. (1-6) 155 160 150 165 150 160. Not brilliant... hmm..

Did the cam cover gaskets. Was a horrible job getting all the 20 y.o. hoses off. All of them broke and need to be replaced.

New stainless fasteners.
p1190378_1.jpg

Cams seem nice and clean?
p1190378_2.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Hey there, that plug is for the cold start injector, to control when it will work. Glueing it back together wont work, I did that on mine just for aesthetics, but my cold start injector was also consigned to the bin, I never had trouble starting it, we dont live in a sub-zero climate, so do yourself a favour and turf it. And if it takes a little longer to crank your motor, it will love you, gives it more of a change to build oil pressure :icon_bigg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Thanks heaps mate - much appreciated! Trying to track one down on the Aus forums atm, but good to know I can still drive the car. The sensor is used in a lot of other cars as well, so I might go on a little excursion to the wreckers. :)

Day = hot. Night = lots of bugs!

p1192516_1.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I seriously wouldnt bother, you will miss your cold start injector like a hole in the head. Mine went straight in the bin and a block off plate went in its place

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Hey everyone - been lurking but haven't posted in ages.

Recently returned to single life and still a bit bummed so the supra has been receiving plenty of attention :)

Car has been starting and running 100% fine without the CSI as well - thanks for the advice there guys. It also really appreciated the new leads and plugs, there is definately more power.

Also finially redoing the wing tips. The clear coat was rough and my shaved antenna hole ended up cracking due to heat / moisture exposure. I have redone it using almost 100% fiberglass - there is only a tiny bit of filler.

p1217793_1.jpg

p1217793_2.jpg

Obviously this means more painting.. I remember how unpleasent painting is now.

p1217793_3.jpg

I was also given some cool presents a while back. The little black supra model is made by Tomy toys and is remote controlled! The lighter was a present from the ex gf, and I don't smoke, but I still think it's pretty cool.

p1217793_4.jpg

p1217793_5.jpg

Am painting tomorrow so stay tuned for updates! :)

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Working on the Supra is always a good form of therapy for when you are feeling a bit down.

Take 2 on filling the antenna hole should work out way better me thinks