my car pc!

cassio

Apr 1, 2005
i was here before the server crashed, and signed up when the boards came back on..

mostly post on sf.... been in the game for 3+yrs and i think im just going to go in troll mode.

check my directory ibconceptions.com/supra/

you can see where im coming from with my car and where it's going.

yea 26 posts.... im trollin'

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm not really understanding the attitude that anyone that's on a forum is automatically expected to make everything they're doing public domain!

I make a totally unconnected product that has nothing to do with cars but this attitude is present in that community as well and I've been asked to hand over the Cad Files so people can replicate my product....

I've spent untold hours developing and fine tuning what I do and while I'm happy for people to copy what I do I'm not about to just hand over my hard work, what I do is produce the parts at a rate that's well below what this type of precision work would cost to have done and give the very best service I can.

All the information is out there show a little initiative search it out and I'm sure people here will be more than happy to lend a hand if you strike difficulty but to expect someone to spoon feed you and then be offended when they refuse is a touch immature.

As for going into Troll mode you'll find that is totally unacceptable here.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I think the main reason that Cassio is disappointed with the "community" is solely because he mostly posts on SF!
Come around here more often and you'll understand what the community really is.

but, if you must, then you must.
C'est La Vie, to each his own, etc.

Aaron: I love the setup and have been planning doing this for some time now. Far before this thread even started (which was already a while ago)...
My question to you is: Is the monitor hard to read given it's position away from the driver and also due to the size of the screen? It seems that the text on websites is quite small.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
cassio said:
but ATM i am a little disappointed in the supra "community" and may stop posting on all boards across the line, and just start trolling....

-ian
Hey bro, you know what I say, F*(K that OTHER supra site... What they did to you over there REALLY pissed me off... And Im not just saying that, Im serious! I emailed two admins trying to volley support to get you back, and only one wrote me back and then never responded again... And then Fagman finally wrote me back and then f'n BLOCKED me so i cant write him back...

You know there are alot of gus that respect ya... Myself included... So I hope you spend time over here... There are alot of people here that could learn from your experiences... Please dont let what happened over there jade your view of the community...

Jake

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
cassio said:
im trollin'

Just to clarify. Do you mean trolling as in:

"Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards"

Or did you mean to say lurking as in:

"Lurking is the act of reading posts on a message board, but rarely (if ever) posting"

If it's the latter, you are welcome to it. If it's the former, don't bother, we don't allow trolls and you'll just get yourself banned in short order. This isn't SF.

p.s. - Don't take that wrong if it's a misunderstanding in terminology. I've never seen you trolling, so other than that statement above, I have no reason to think you'd start...

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
supra90turbo said:
I think the main reason that Cassio is disappointed with the "community" is solely because he mostly posts on SF!
Come around here more often and you'll understand what the community really is.

but, if you must, then you must.
C'est La Vie, to each his own, etc.

Aaron: I love the setup and have been planning doing this for some time now. Far before this thread even started (which was already a while ago)...
My question to you is: Is the monitor hard to read given it's position away from the driver and also due to the size of the screen? It seems that the text on websites is quite small.

Honestly the position of the stock stereo is a little low but it really is not bad at all for the monitor. The shifter doesn't really block my view either. The text is a little small, but I don't have purfect vision and its no problem to read. If you are doing some serious web browsing then it gets your eyes a little tired. Any major work on the pc I do with a remote connection from my pc in the house, it's just like working on the car pc directly.
I origionally put it in to be able to go online on my lunch breaks at work. I worked at an electronics store and I love pc's so it was a natural thing for me. I have been using the maft pro software on it and I have had the Zeitronics zt-2 displayed on the monitor from the beginning. The display is easy to see for those purposes. I was just driving around tonight tuning it at 18psi with the zt-2 displaying egt,boost,afr, and rpm. As for the fitment of the monitor behind the bezel you would know exactly what you need to do once you hold the monitor behind the bezel. You just have to carefully cut out the back of the bezel till the monitor fits. I used steel wire to strap the monitor to the bezel because that was the only way to do it without epoxy or velcro.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Reign_Maker said:
Hey bro, you know what I say, F*(K that OTHER supra site... What they did to you over there REALLY pissed me off... And Im not just saying that, Im serious! I emailed two admins trying to volley support to get you back, and only one wrote me back and then never responded again... And then Fagman finally wrote me back and then f'n BLOCKED me so i cant write him back...

You know there are alot of gus that respect ya... Myself included... So I hope you spend time over here... There are alot of people here that could learn from your experiences... Please dont let what happened over there jade your view of the community...

Jake

Man that "other" supra site just went bad so fast, and I think it is all because of greed. Any time a forum becomes a money maker the content just goes right down the shitter. They are so afraid that someone will try to take business from their sponsors that the admin turned into the natzis, yet they screw their sponsors by banning everybody and offering 50% downtime with and terrible bandwidth.

It's kinda like what is happening with our civil liberties being taken away by the government and then being told it's for our own good. (but thats a different topic all together :))

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
CryoSlash said:
aaron, one day, i vouch to mimic you style, and have a gaming pc in my car :D (well not a gaming pc, just to play my N64 roms, aight peace hah)

haha, cool man! You can also just plug a playstation into the monitor because they all have composite video input, the harder thing to find is a monitor with VGA input, but they are all over ebay now.

I wouldn't say you would be copying me, I got the idea from my friend Jason about 10+ years ago. Before there was anyone with a car pc (most people didn't even have home pc's) he had mp3's playing in his car on a pos (point of sale) pc, with a 4x40 lcd display he wrote a Linux program to run, in a case he made from a aluminum project box and had it powder coated and silk screened, and he built his own 12v AT power supply from raw components! This was in the Windows 95 days, most people were still running Windows 3.5 or DOS 6.0! MPEG-1/2 came out around 1994. The internet was new to the public and the only people who seemed to work on pc's were geeks and nerds :biglaugh: This guy is a software and electronics genius. He showed me mp3's many years before there was any such thing as a IPOD or Music Keg. I was amazed that you could make a song 10x smaller but have 95% of the sound quality. I told him he should market his car mp3 player but it never really happened and then about 4 years later a dude brought me the first mp3 car headunit from Europe to install at Good Guys. He paid $1100 for it! A few years later it started to catch on and now mp3 players are a huge business.

Another funny thing I remember in the early 90's in my digital electronics class they were teaching us that 66mhz was the fastest bus speed that would be possible! LOL I also remember when AOL was giving away 3 free hours of dial up service!!! RAM was like 4kb or 8kb! Now 2 GIGS is normal. Realize that 2gb is 100's of times bigger then the storage capacity of hard drives were!

I only decided to build my own car pc when the price of the parts versus performance became reasonable. I took it to show Jason about 6 months ago and he was tripping out on it! He used to tell me back in the day that he would someday be able to pull up to a stop light and download music from someones car with the same setup, and I thought he was crazy, but now that actually would be possible :biglaugh:

Last edited:

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
I hate SF... I really can't understand how there can be 15 times more members at SF and I'll post a question at both places and I will get atleast 3 times more responses from SM. Also, most of their admins that I've contacted are completely unhelpful and inpolite. SF is OK for some stuff... in the archives or whatever, but SM is where the real Supra Community is at, with people there to help you. Thanks SM!!! I've been wanting to say something like this for a while now, but I thought that it might have been inappropriate, but I'm glad to see that there are others out there that feel the same way.

Anyways, back to the to the topic at hand.

I've been really wanting to do a car pc for a while now and if I ever do one I will be totally stoked if it turns out half as good as yours bigaaron. That thing is CLEEEEAN!!! I'm a particularly meticulous neatfreak, so that's the way mine would have to come out. Seeing as I'm definitely not capable of doing that right now... it will have to wait. Plus, my car is posessed, there's no way I could wire that thing without it throwing a tantrum. When I say posessed, I bought the car with the odometer stuck on 102,666 miles, and haven't gotten around to changing it yet. Plus, I want to buy a Buell first.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I posted this in another thread but I figured it should be in this one too.

www.driftmotion.com/car pc.wmv

The first song is so terrible, and it was very sunny. Video was from my digital camera too, it sounds far better then it sounds :icon_razz

You can build a pc for your car for under $500 if you have some old pc parts laying around. An old p3 mobo or 1ghz or faster processor can work. There is another guy on this forum who is doing his project on a budget, I think he said he had $200 into it. To get it more refined and to have all the bells and whistles you have to spend more but it depends on what features you want. Mine would cost about $1000-$1200 in total to do again.