Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Ok ok. If you insist :icon_bigg jk

m10000 VIA mini itx mobo with 1ghz embedded processor
40gig ata 133 hd (had it laying around)
512mb pc3200 sdram
mini itx case
m1-atx power supply (runs pc, monitor and 5v to usb hubs)
wireless g pci network card with external 8db high gain antenna
slim dvd drive in a external usb case
SB Audigy 2 NX usb sound adaptor
usb gps receiver and nav software
usb touchpad in center console
usb minikey keyboard
usb tv tuner and fm radio with PVR w/home made 6v regulated supply
2 usb hubs
lots of wire and cabling
Lilliput 7" widescreen vga touchscreen monitor w/auto on mod
Alpine ere-g180 eq (sounds better then any software eq I could find)
Alpine 5ch power amp
JL Audio 12w3v2-d2 sub
Pioneer 6.5" component set (not my first choice but for $40 :dunno:)
custom analog stereo volume control in center console

Plan on not finding several of the pc items in any local store. The VIA m10k mobo I did find at Fry's. PC Club has slim dvd cases in some stores, but slim dvd drives are internet only usually.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
GotToyota? said:
So how much did the whole setup cost you?

$1000-$1300 maybe? It was far less money then a indash Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer monitor with dvd player and navigation, but it can do 10X as much. You could build it cheaper, you could build it for more. The good shit is always more expensive :icon_wink
I usually buy good name brand for critical parts and ebay/fry's specials for other stuff. Remember this is not a super performance gaming machine. It is a efficent setup with enough computing power to run all the applications you would want in a car and play dvd's with smooth playback. It can run off the car battery for over 4 hours with the engine off. You could build a 3ghz+ pc with a 7900gt but you would need a huge power inverter and it would draw probably 5+ times the current from the battery mine does. You could also run a laptop but mine is actually part of the car to where it shuts down with the ignition automatically and reboots automatically and it replaces the car stereo completely. Any pc run off an inverter is almost sure to have 60hz hum or ground loops causing excessive noise. The SB Audigy 2 NX has a s/n of 102db and 2v rca outputs which rivals or exceeds even the most expensive car stereo headunits.

Last edited:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Guys, not to be a prick, but Aaron works on cars for a living. At one time he installed electronics too. I wouldn't blame him if he said no, I wouldn't give my work away either....

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
rakkasan said:
Guys, not to be a prick, but Aaron works on cars for a living. At one time he installed electronics too. I wouldn't blame him if he said no, I wouldn't give my work away either....

Yeah, but we're all friends here, lol... I say SHARE! :love: I just would love something like that to use with my AEM... Would make things SO much easaier than pluggin a lap top in every time... A lap top that I dont presently have, so this would be a great option to look into before buying a lap top...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Reign_Maker said:
Yeah, but we're all friends here, lol... I say SHARE! :love: I just would love something like that to use with my AEM... Would make things SO much easaier than pluggin a lap top in every time... A lap top that I dont presently have, so this would be a great option to look into before buying a lap top...

I'm not saying don't, just saying don't be surprised if he does......

FTR, I would much rather have that set up than just a standard radio. I'm looking into it.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Rakassan knows exactly where i'm coming from! We are doing 3 engine swap projects right now and I can't take my car apart to show pics of everything. Everything you need to know is on www.mp3car.com, and I posted a big parts list of everything. I just went there and did research and if you check my post history there you will see I had it up and running before I hit 15 posts I think. There are people on there with 1000 posts that still don't have a functioning car pc installed. Some forum guys are used to getting spoon fed everything and they get lazy. Sometimes you just gotta use your skills and make it happen.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Since when do we have to start thinking and doing things by ourselves? Lol. Well, if I decide to do this, I will do a write-up. But just to let everyone know.....I'm really not good with wiring. So it'll take me a long time.

cassio

Apr 1, 2005
i was about to post a link to mp3car.com i have been looking at that site for a while...(2+ years)

everything you need to know is there, just do some research.
i may post my build on it when i start, but ATM i am a little disappointed in the supra "community" and may stop posting on all boards across the line, and just start trolling....

-ian

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
cassio said:
i may post my build on it when i start, but ATM i am a little disappointed in the supra "community" and may stop posting on all boards across the line, and just start trolling....

-ian

In 25 posts you already are disappointed with the Supra community? :biglaugh:

You get what you put in. I've been posting pics and explanations of all the projects I have done on my Supra for years. But it's all worth it because when I have a question there are many knowledgeable people on the boards willing to answer my question. I don't expect them to offer more info then they want to, and I'm happy with whatever they are willing to do for me. If I can't find info on a subject on the forums, I spend hours and hours researching and learning so when someone has the same question I had, I can be the one to help give a good answer. Sorry for the rant...