my car pc!

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Idealsupra said:
ha! so then it was MY idea ;) ive had it for almost 4 years :D covers my 3 gauges and my radio :D suckers!

nice install aaron...one day ill have a car pc... too many other things going on right now though to worry about it lol..

damn, you got me beat there!!

I just realized I spelt your "you're" which is an incrediable mistake. oh my!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Well I had a fake stereo cover on my Mazda b2200 pickup Kenwood stereo over 10 years ago, so take that! HA Maybe you are one of the haters? (j/k :icon_bigg )

The pc is under the floor in the back, the Audigy USB goes through my volume control, to the eq then to the amp. I still need to carpet it so don't laugh but here is the sub and the pc is next to it:

p44737_1.jpg

p44737_2.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
more details about what components you used and how you mounted them? All I see is a JL Sub :)

Also... uh...

what kind of output to the amp? what kind of amps? 4 ch? mono for sub? details brotha! :)

brand/model of the screen? how'dyou mount it?

DETAILS MAN!!

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i sure as hell dont know what all that compute mumbo jumbo means, but that is DAMN cool! on the old SM Shawndude had a setup with a PC in his car. it was wicked cool. too bad the pics are lost now, and Shawndude is seldom here :( . regardless, thats really badass, and way more involved than my car would ever get, unless i strike it rich!

props to another badass setup!

-shaeff

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
First of all, that 'detachable face' is frickin genius. It worked so well i was about to close this thread because i thought it was a joke. :)

How bout some specs on your equipment? I assume you have one of those cool 12vdc power supplies? Which make and model? What motherboard, and what case did you go with? This is something that I have always wanted to do...

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
You are too kind. I am definitely not the only one with a car pc. Check out www.mp3car.com if you want to learn about this stuff. I did a decent install on mine but there are some people who go way further and make custom dashboards with 12" monitors and stuff. The power supply I am using is a m1-atx 90w unit. The Opus 150w is another common one. I like the VIA itx motherboards, I have the m10000 but there are several new models that have come out recenty. Even though it's only 1ghz, the embedded processor is as fast a my AMD 1700+ at most applications. It plays dvd's well too.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Where does the flux capacitator go? LOL. Dude that is a sweet setup. All up does it wiegh much?

I think its tottaly awsome and quite ingenious BUT, For me its a little to much. I more of a engine man then a PC guy ( I held of saying nerd!) LOL But seriously that is one hell of a sweet set up!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I like that keyboard. EBgames has them for the most part.

MP3.com for all those parts and idea.. (reason i ask is cuase they love Xenarc/lilliput 7" there, personally i think they are to small)

For "false" stereo installs. Been done long before (94) in IASCA competition when Richard Clark was the man to beat. ;) Gave me stealth points ;)

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Props to you, good work! It's pretty much what I'm planning to do for about 2 years now...... except that I'm going to build my own graphical user interface, (try to) connect the PC to an e-manage and my wideband O2 controller, with a custom logging display optimized for the small screen (without all the big buttons and title bar and stuff), custom mp3 player and so on...
I also have an Epia M10000 lying around for a few months, just haven't had the time to install it yet... so I'm currently using it as a DVD player in my living room.
Once the PC is in the car, I'm planning on connecting it to my cell phone via bluetooth, so I can do some party tricks like open and close the windows from the outside, start and rev the engine, view engine parameters on the cell phone display etc.etc. :p

Free wifi hotspots rock! I wish we had something like that here :(

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
thats sweet man. i had a similar idea, but mine doent use detach face plate, nice idea. mine was just a cover that flipped out with a keyboard of some sort. also had a touch screen.
now u used an actual Mobo or did u use a Laptop mobo?
i have a 9100 toshiba tecra and im going to use it as my PC mod also.
the wifi thing is sweet as hell.
i had a similar idea but it was a usb external HD, has plug in in glove box and clips to keep it still, hooks up usb all music there so i can take it from home to car to work and back.
what type of heat is your system putting off?
how does you HD handle on rough roads?
and besides going from the lighter how did you get power to the back of the car and to the front for the touch screen?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Figgie: enter here
I'll get pics of the pc after I clean it up a little. There are about 20 cables going from the front to the back. Power, accessory, four usb, antenna, 12v to monitor, 5v to dvd, vga video, serial, etc... Sound is under the center console, amp is under the pass seat, tv/fm tuner and 6v regulator behind monitor.

Last edited: