My 87 Supra build

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
wow ryan... lookin pretty awesome. i cant wait to see what numbers u will be putting out.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've updated this. Not much else has happened. I didn't like how the front windshield weather stripping was looking so I went ahead and bought a new windshield, and new style weather stripping. I finally found all of the rear hatch window weather stripping. Now I'm in the process of hunting down a good set of driver side and passenger window mouldings. The one piece rain guard that wraps around the windows. Still waiting on the AEM to be installed/tuned. After that, I'll finally have my baby. Oh. Tinting too.

Well. I picked my car up from Redline Performance in Asheville, NC lastnight. They have taken 2 years and 5 months, and the car IS NOT running. I have never had to deal with as much bull shit in my life. Every time I went there, the owner would tell me "Two more weeks." or "Almost there." EVERY TIME. That started years ago... haha. It's weird that I can actually say that, and it really mean YEARS. With an "s." Anyways. I have my car now. It's going to MotionLab Tuning in Charlotte, NC on Monday. What a great New Years present to myself. I always told my wife that if I could ever get my car away from redline, that my stress level would come WAY down... Well. It happened. I can't even imagine myself in a bad mood anymore. Things are going to start turing around from here on out. :D And I'll have a RUNNING Supra to bring along with me. Hell yes. Will post pics when I go on break. My baby needs a wash. She's been neglected for FAR too long.
-Ryan

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
good luck with the new place hope it goes well

i had a similar situation with a body shop not as much time went by as your situation but alot of wasted time

sure do. good thing you said something. I'm supposed to sell the car soon. But no money has been put up for it yet. i always wondered about them. what are they?
EDIT- Just to clarify things. I'm not selling my white car. The red targa is the one being sold. No way am I letting my baby go before I FINALLY get to drive her.

MotionLab is getting everything finished up. They had to sort through a lot of half assed electric work from the last shop that had my car. They basically redid my wiring for me. I needed something for my aem to dial in the boost so I bought the AEM TruBoost boost controller to replace my greddy boost gauge. I also replaced my hks knock off waste gate with a Tial V44. We also had to get new injectors. I bought low impedance injectors and needed high impedance. So I now have 850cc injectors. Those are wired in and ready to go. A trim piece fell off when towing the car to Charlotte, so I had to buy a whole new set. They are the 89+ black trim so it has that white/black trim look. I'm not really a fan of it so I'm going to get them painted. In fact, because redline didn't cut and buff the car, and let it sit outside for over a year after it was painted, I'm going to have to just repaint the whole car. I'm sticking with white. So it will either be Toyota Super White, or Lexus Blizzard Pearl. I'm just ready to drive the damn thing. :D

Last edited:

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
man ryan... redline took that long and didnt finish? whoa... any recent updates about progress?

well man, here's the deal. I had to bring it to another shop because redline just wasn't working on it. So it's actually in Charlotte right now. It's at a shop called motion lab tuning. They're taking a while too, though. I dropped it off there on the 29th of February... Leap year. You would think that would be good luck, right? One of the main things that is taking so long is the wiring mess. Motion Lab said that redline left a rats nest under the dash after they installed the aem ems. Well they've basically cleaned up the entire wiring job. So that obviously took forever. The bad thing is, though, we can't get the rpms to send to the ems. They just aren't registering. Not the tach. They said the ems isn't reading the rpms from the cps. So now they have aem working with them to try to figure out how to finish the car. It's really just a huge headache to be honest. That's why i haven't been on here in forever. Seeing everyone else finish their cars by themselves in months, and seeing my car take years by shops to complete just pisses me off. :/ If I knew anything about wiring and tuning, I'd just go pick the car up and finish it myself. Oh well. We'll see how long it takes Motion Lab to finish it. Or I'll sell it to you for $8,500... ;) haha

And an email telling me the status on the car.
Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to bring you up to date. As of this evening, we have;
1. MAP sensor (100% functional)
2. Coolant sensor (100% functional)
3. Inlet Air Temp sensor (100% functional)
4. Throttle sensor (performs like an on/off switch – obviously this is not correct)
5. Crank sensor / Cam sensor (100% functional)
a. Verified by cranking and “stat sync’d” occurs
b. Solid RPM while cranking
6. Fuel Pump (100% functional)
7. Fuel Injectors - visually injectors 1-6 appear to be leading to the correct pin-outs
a. Need to verify 12v at each connector clip
b. Need to verify injector phasing per injector
injector phase.jpg
8. Ignition system – this is the only major unknown at this point
a. We attempted to pulse an inductive light from both the number 1 and 2 coils, but no dice
b. I have not checked the coil wiring nor the igniter wiring yet but they were probably not done correctly
c. Need to verify coil phasing
image005.jpg
9. Other / Misc
a. Idle control valve (this may or may not work properly, just depends on whether or not yours is a PWM type valve or not)
b. Alternator control (if needed)
c. Tach signal (should be ok, probably pulled from the igniter or 12v common to the coils)
d. Knock Sensor(s)

Some other observations - I have come across many wires now that were incorrectly pinned. This is without doubt the initial issues your EMS had with a bad capacitor. In fact, today I found a wire for the TPS going to a pin named “crank fluctuation” on the 6050 box lol. Anyway, the igniter wiring and coils should be fun. If we could do this over again, I would insist on a replacement engine harness to start :)

Lastly, I am sending over the map to both of my support contacts at AEM so they can verify that our so we can verify that the coil and injector phasing are correct.

Todd Marcellini
Managing Partner / Tuner
-------------------------------------------------------

So that's all the news I have as of now. I'll be stopping by Tuesday to say hello, and check on things. I'll come back with lots of pictures.
-Ryan