My 87 Supra build

I've been waiting on my car to get back from the shop.
I had a fmic put on, and a tune. It was going to be around 400-415rwhp.
It was going to be finished today.
While it was being tuned......
I received rod knock.:nono:
So i decided I'd start a build thread since my car's build hasn't been documented before. The engine comes out Saturday. So I'll start with a few pics of the car and a list of the parts.
4V7d7IC.jpg

kE56cyU.jpg

YvadUv2.jpg

1yFYWrJ.jpg

95WkGf0.jpg

ZrzI8KC.jpg

Aftermarket Parts:
New block
New head ported and polished.
stock turbo rebuilt at 2,000 miles and upgraded to 60-1 compressor wheel and has had about 1,000 miles on it since then
JE pistons .40
Clevite bearings
Shotpeen'd rods (buying eagle rods when the engine is apart.)
LC-1 wideband by Innovate
MAF Translator Pro
Aeromotive AFPR
Custom FMIC
550's
Walboro 255
Cometic MHG
ARP studs
3" custom exhaust
ss brake lines
one piece drive shaft
BC racing coilovers
Greddy oil catch can
Greddy type s bov
mkiv wheels (245/275)
and if I'm forgetting anything, I'll post it later.
Thanks for looking.
Can't wait to get things started and get her back out on the road.:naughty:

EDIT: Here's the deal. I just realized a lot of my pictures have disappeared, so I'm going through and trying to reupload the ones I can find.

Last edited:

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
car looks real clean! bummer about the rod knock though. i've been there, sucks man. can't wait to see some build updates!

natedogr;1393177 said:
car looks real clean! bummer about the rod knock though. i've been there, sucks man. can't wait to see some build updates!

FlipSupra8;1393183 said:
your car makes me wnat to paint my car...other than that very nice and good luck on da build

Thanks guys. There are a few spots that could use a touch up. But it is in really nice condition. The guy I bought it from took really good care of it.

So I haven't added to this in a while.
My rod knock ended up being a spun rod bearing.
It clipped my crank shaft.
So I needed a new crank.
Bummer... Except for the fact that if my engine is coming out, it's getting built.
so here's the list of up's that are going into the supra in the next 2-3 weeks.
Crank Shaft
JE Piston rings
Eagle Rods
ACL bearings
Cometic Headgasket
K and N filter
Mishimoto Radiator
I've also FINALLY found the fake vent piece above the dash.
Also, I've found a guy about 20 mins from me that has all the black and gray interior I need. My build has been on hold while saving up. And now it's all coming together ridiculously fast. I can't wait and hope I can get some subscribers that will follow this through. Thanks for reading. Good night Supra Mania.
-Ryan

Last edited:
So i have my rear interior minus the seats.
Everything is finishing up at the machine shop.
the rad ships the 9th cause it was on a 4 month back order.
and i ordered a new oil pump just in case.
I will have pics for you all of the build with in the next 2-3 weeks.
The engine should be assembled and everything back in the car around the 16th
and back on the road before christmas.
Hopefully I can have it finished in time for the big meet in concord.
if so, you'll see me there.

I just bought a lipp high flow turbo elbow! help that upgraded ct breathe.
I don't want to jinx this because we all know I've been waiting on my car for almost 6 months now.
I am supposed to get it back this week, with pics of the build.
Hella excited.
Off to paint the new house :)

well, once again it's been forever since I've updated this.
But i've got some good news.
The engine is finally finished!
The machine shop took their sweet ass time (9 months)
but it is finally finished and ready to drop into the car.
While I wait for Jason to put it in, I decided to get the car repainted.
I'm going with blizzard pearl. Its the same white as my lexus gx470.
and the red car I saved, is actually going to be parted out. I'm going to take most of the interior
but whatever's left, is up for grabs. I will not junk the shell though.
It's virtually rust free so I can't bring myself to drop it off at the scrap yard.
3 weeks until I get to pick it up.
I've been moving into my first house with the wife, and had a front porch built.
Next, I'm extending my garage by 12 ft. and putting a 2 post lift in. can't wait.
should be finished by christmas.
I'm going to the shop to show the guy what white I want.
Later guys,
-Ryan

I went to the body guy today. He's got everything ready for the paint. It looks amazing already. He said the paint job will be finished Tuesday and then it's back to the lift to drop the engine back in. I'm thinking about getting a bbk for the front. It's the wilwood set on suprastore.com. I also bought an HKS 3000 pipe. Oh, I almost forgot. The shop has finally received the dyno they ordered forever ago. So instead of a street tune, it's getting dyno tuned. I'll actually have numbers for my car! Can't wait. I'll get back with you guys Tuesday with pictures of the whole painting process.
Thanks for looking guys,
Ryan

The paint job was finished tonight. I'm not going to see it until tomorrow. I did finish up stripping the rear interior, door panels, and the front seats from the red 89 which will go into my 87. I took some pictures of how far the paint job was earlier today, but I'm going to save those for tomorrow's post so I can show the whole process. It looks SOOOO much better. But here are some pictures of the stripping process.
DgpOpM6.jpg

FwTWZwo.jpg

ky9Tc7S.jpg

EH31fIE.jpg

erUFxQY.jpg

V7T524b.jpg

0qZswP5.jpg

Yup. She was dirty as hell after I took everything out. But I finished cleaning her at around 1-1:30am. I have to use my brother-in-law's computer to upload pictures, and then email them to myself. His computer isn't here, so I can't show you how amazing she looks now. I still can't get over how perfect it looks. I got lucky to find it. She'll be getting a new engine during the winter. But, thats another thread for another day.
I'll post all of the paint job pictures and the installing of the interior tomorrow night.
Have a good one.

Last edited:
so i wasted a whole day waiting on my guy thats painting the car. first it was "lets wait a bit more just in case." which I can completely understand. I would hate to get that far on it and then mess up the paint. and then it was "we cant put the interior in today, but you can come look at the finished job." i waited and waited. and then finally i get in touch with him. it's going to be tomorrow when I can see it, and put the interior in it. so, sorry for getting anyone's hopes up. i know I got my hopes up, and then shot down. so now I'm going to play battlefield. if anyone's on, I've had a hell of a day. come play. g/t : thc Iron Lungs
-Ryan

I finally got the pictures from the guy who painted it. It's still not all the way finished, but god does it look amazing. It's like a whole different car!

cFD6bK5.jpg

S7lvUiq.jpg

P4mn5FC.jpg

eSmHq0j.jpg

dQoiGax.jpg

70awUUc.jpg

kgbJUGr.jpg

xaVfqP6.jpg

u8WYeng.jpg

He cut out the rusted section of the spare tire hole, and put in new metal, formed it, and now it looks perfect.

And now after the clear.

VjxIkz2.jpg

GimeS6B.jpg

BOAFpiO.jpg

2nk17QQ.jpg

dD2R1eT.jpg

lIJucVw.jpg

yt1oBV9.jpg

oiX3xxw.jpg

B4XnPAo.jpg

WVNEaVh.jpg

Eq1b9eT.jpg