maftpro is working

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
suprasport91 said:
alright so i have read this article and i am a bit confused, my car is in great running condition, all the hoses are new i have replaced all vacuum lines and full IC Pipes (cooleze), and runnign a full 3" exhaust from headers down ( intkae too), now i am thinking about going power as what i have done does not do too much, i am interested in rasing boost, i have sufficient funds for this item but i dont want to waste my money, so what exactly does this product do? and i know quite a bit about about engines but i dont know much about tuning ( i would bring it to a mechanic who knows about this ( garage works maybe...for lack of anyone else i know that tunes cars?) and what does the MAFT-PRO offer for me?

please read my FAQ:

http://mkiiitech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=641

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
So what options do i get if i buy the MAFT-PRO with the boost solenoid (wiring harness?) and a map sensor? what is the MAF sensor for? ( IAT what purpose does that serve?) basically i think i want to buy it but i dont understand all of its componenets yet so im not positive but im willing to learn, sorry for all the questions but there are so many acronyms and i just had all my midterms...

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
suprasport91 said:
So what options do i get if i buy the MAFT-PRO with the boost solenoid (wiring harness?) and a map sensor? what is the MAF sensor for? ( IAT what purpose does that serve?) basically i think i want to buy it but i dont understand all of its componenets yet so im not positive but im willing to learn, sorry for all the questions but there are so many acronyms and i just had all my midterms...

this is exactly why i wrote that FAQ. PLEASE take some time and carefully read it- all of the acronyms are explained along with each unit's function. there's also some good reading on maftpro.com...

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
So Doc can I count on having that kind of service provided from you? This will only work as a basic guideline and since we're clueless over here I bet you'll have a better opinion on how to to set The Maft-Pro based on my mods.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
yannis-supras said:
If that's all it is then let's hope that these initial issues will be sorted soon.

i'm not sure what issues there are....malloynx has had a few problems, but that was mostly due to his understanding of how the MAFT pro works/learning curve.

yannis-supras said:
Hmm...so basically you're saying that I should aquire the knowledge and try to do this myself. To be honest i'm not confident in messing with tuning in that high level.
I'm no expert you see, just your everyday supramaniac that gathers information in the forums and has an average theoretical perception, nothing more.

interesting....if that's the case, why are you building so a highly modified car? is there a local tuner there that can assist you? with goals like yours you will need an in-depth understanding of tuning, etc. or someone there that can help you.

yannis-supras said:
I'm telling you I would be very comfortable with it, at least I'd have a startline. Better than trying to built up the whole configuration by myself. Doc you've got to realize that what may seem to you as an average, rational way of doing things might be the novice's nightmare :icon_conf :dunno:

i understand the whole thing is a bit daunting, but you have to understand you have fairly special setup. for me to make guesses at what tuning to do from 6k miles away is quite a tall order. i'd be more than happy to set up your MAFT pro to save you the configuration time, but i do not feel comfortable guessing at what corrections you'll need and where you'll need them. once you get it and get it installed, we're here to support you....

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
drjonez said:
interesting....if that's the case, why are you building so a highly modified car? is there a local tuner there that can assist you? with goals like yours you will need an in-depth understanding of tuning, etc. or someone there that can help you.
Come on Doc, so what do you say here, that only the people that can tune their cars themselves are entitled to have powrfull motors and the rest of us should sit aside and watch...??? :cry: That's not fair... :icon_cry:
I'm basically also counting on a friend mechanic and a couple of tuners over here that do WRX's and Evo's. I totally understand that our cars ar not similar to those but this is my best option so far.

drjonez said:
i understand the whole thing is a bit daunting, but you have to understand you have fairly special setup. for me to make guesses at what tuning to do from 6k miles away is quite a tall order. i'd be more than happy to set up your MAFT pro to save you the configuration time, but i do not feel comfortable guessing at what corrections you'll need and where you'll need them. once you get it and get it installed, we're here to support you....
That's all I needed to hear. That would be a great headstart for me. I know you have said it already a few times that your advice and information will be readilly available - as it has been many times for all the supra crowd - but I just needed that bit more of reassurance since I'm a special case :nuts: :biggrinbo

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Folks,
PLEASE READ THE FAQ THAT DOC KEEPS REFERRING TO!

You guys are making this seem like its the hardest thing in the world to use. It really is not! If you have used any of the many other units out there, than you are more than likely going to be very comfortable with this unit. I have tuned with a bunch of the other devices that make up the "alphabet soup" in the world of piggybacks. If there is one common thread with all of them, it is that you have to know/understand what it is that you are trying to alter/correct, before you start making changes.
The MaftPro has a great advantage over many of these other device in that it allows you the flexability to monitor all of the vital signals from the various sensors right on the unit itself. It comes with very easy to follow instructions, which will put you at probably 90% of your tune. You don't have to worry about this thing making radical changes to your system because you will control all that. You can set this thing on "auto pilot" via the AFR tracking feature and allow it tune the WOT map to your desired a/f ratio (provided that you have a wideband 02 sensor). You can datalog your run, and then set your own settings to mimic those that the "auto pilot" made. Again, you have to start with small changes so that you can trace back the effects.

YOU DON'T JUST INSTALL THIS (or any other device) and RUN 25 PSI RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!

You should take the same approach to tuning with this unit that you would take with any other. First and foremost, make sure that your car is set to handle the added power, and that all sensors and parts are in good working order. Many of the problems that are often reported are the result of people trying to tune their car with old or defective parts. Old sensors, cracked hoses etc.. will send false readings to whatever unit you are using. That will make it impossible to tune any car with any device! So just make sure that your base is in good working condition before you start to build on top of it.

Aside from reducing the cost of having to buy the multiple devices (VPC,GCC, AFC, Lexus AFM etc..) by having all these features in one unit, you also get to reduce the chances of multiple units not working in sync with each other. This will also reduce the amount of time that you spend diagnosing issues and trying to figure out which unit it is that is messed up. All of your tuning will be done with one compact unit! you will only need to refer to the Maftpro if something is not working. you can datalog from it and see if maybe a sensor is not giving the correct signal.

An unfortunate reality with the MKIII community is the number of "window shoppers" in it!
Take this particular thread for example:

23 pages, 230 posts, and a grand total of 3 buyers!!!

How will we ever know how well this or any other product works if noone buys it???

If you want to know how well this unit works, go over the Fullthrottlespeed.com website and read about the many cars running 11 and 10 seconds ET with the Maftpro.
While there, you will also notice the number of other devices and support provided to these other cars. Why is that???? Because they actually buy the units and run them, which allows for the makers to develop better programs and units based on the feedback they receive from these customers. How can we expect perfection when no one wants to step up, buy the unit and give feedback?! Ask any of the guys making big power, what it takes? They will all tell you that "you have to pay to play"!

Last edited:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
yannis-supras said:
Come on Doc, so what do you say here, that only the people that can tune their cars themselves are entitled to have powrfull motors and the rest of us should sit aside and watch...??? :cry: That's not fair... :icon_cry:

where exactly did i say this? if you can't tune it yourself, find someone who can....much like everything else in life- if you can't do it, you can always pay someone who can...

yannis-supras said:
That's all I needed to hear. That would be a great headstart for me. I know you have said it already a few times that your advice and information will be readilly available - as it has been many times for all the supra crowd - but I just needed that bit more of reassurance since I'm a special case :nuts: :biggrinbo

not a problem man.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
supralover2000 said:
Folks,

You guys are making this seem like its the hardest thing in the world to use. It really is not! If you have used any of the many other units out there, than you are more than likely going to be very comfortable with this unit. I have tuned with a bunch of the other devices that make up the "alphabet soup" in the world of piggybacks. If there is one common thread with all of them, it is that you have to know/understand what it is that you are trying to alter/correct, before you start making changes.
The MaftPro has a great advantage over many of these other device in that it allows you the flexability to monitor all of the vital signals from the various sensors right on the unit itself. It comes with very easy to follow instructions, which will put you at probably 90% of your tune. You don't have to worry about this thing making radical changes to your system because you will control all that. You can set this thing on "auto pilot" via the AFR tracking feature and allow it tune the WOT map to your desired a/f ratio (provided that you have a wideband 02 sensor). You can datalog your run, and then set your own settings to mimic those that the "auto pilot" made. Again, you have to start with small changes so that you can trace back the effects.

YOU DON'T JUST INSTALL THIS (or any other device) and RUN 25 PSI RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!

You should take the same approach to tuning with this unit that you would take with any other. First and foremost, make sure that your car is set to handle the added power, and that all sensors and parts are in good working order. Many of the problems that are often reported are the result of people trying to tune their car with old or defective parts. Old sensors, cracked hoses etc.. will send false readings to whatever unit you are using. That will make it impossible to tune any car with any device! So just make sure that your base is in good working condition before you start to build on top of it.

Aside from reducing the cost of having to buy the multiple devices (VPC,GCC, AFC, Lexus AFM etc..) by having all these features in one unit, you also get to reduce the chances of multiple units not working in sync with each other. This will also reduce the amount of time that you spend diagnosing issues and trying to figure out which unit it is that is messed up. All of your tuning will be done with one compact unit! you will only need to refer to the Maftpro if something is not working. you can datalog from it and see if maybe a sensor is not giving the correct signal.

An unfortunate reality with the MKIII community is the number of "window shoppers" in it!

How will we ever know how well this or any other product works if noone buys it???

If you want to know how well this unit works, go over the Fullthrottlespeed.com website and read about the many cars running 11 and 10 seconds ET with the Maftpro.
While there, you will also notice the number of other devices and support provided to these other cars. Why is that???? Because they actually buy the units and run them, which allows for the makers to develop better programs and units based on the feedback they receive from these customers. How can we expect perfection when no one wants to step up, buy the unit and give feedback?! Ask any of the guys making big power, what it takes? They will all tell you that "you have to pay to play"!

wow, i couldn't have said it better myself.

you da man! ;)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I swear to you guys I am serious about buying this thing. I'm waiting for them to finish the friggen paper work at the local Toyota so i can start working.

I'll buy it just to show I will, even though what I actually want to get done 1st is any body panels I want to replace and then get a shot of paint; then I was planning on getting one. Granted I won't be able to set it up... but I'll at least show I'm serious. (and drjonez I still am interested in having you do my ECU)

BTW with the ECU HAC mod will my car still function correctly w/o the maft pro? Or do I HAVE to run it for input of the HAC sensor system.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
supralover2000 said:
Folks,

Supralover2000 in case you're reffering to me I would like to remind you and everybody else for this matter, that I was the first one that set up a thread about this product because I did the research, read all its spec, checked with FullTrhottleSpeed and really believed that this product has a great potential for our cars. I do know what this product is capable of, I was the second person after malloynx that actually jumped in, have tried to purchase the maft-pro (some FTS web site issues didn'y allow that back then), bought an ECU and had the hac mode done to it by Bob so as to have it ready to go with the maft-pro. I think all these might show if and how serious I am about this product. In the mean time this thread started, so I thought the right thing to do would be to actually wait and see the impressions of the first installed unit. malloynx who is the pionneer on this hasn't managed to set his up right and since I don't have the luxury of been assisted by supra experienced mechanics here in Greece all I'm trying to do is to make sure that I will have the required assistance, knowledge and expertise offered when I'm about to face the task of tuning my engine.
I certainly don't expect to just install the stuff and make my car work perfectly by itself for whatever my expectations/requirements are. I do know what this unit is capable of, heck Dr Jonez approves so need I say more? What you might be missing here is that by the looks of it you may have racing experience and even proffesional mechanical/tuning experience or then again you may just be brave enough to get personally involved with the tuning of your engine whereas I'm neither of the above. I certainly don't have the experience or knowledge to do this stuff alone and all I'm trying to do is make sure that the product that I'm thinking of buying will be possible for the local technicians to tune. If it's actually as easy to set as an SAFC then that answer would've been sufficient enough.

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
I have recieved my maftpro w/speed density kit thanks to Dr.J, I should have it going sometime this week.

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Congrats to all those who stepped up and bought one! For all the others just looking, stay tuned and wait for the results of those of us who got it, Im sure that you will all like them.
Yannis-,
My comments where not all directed at you (window shopper statement) although the part about the ability to be "comfortable with it if you have tuned with any other unit", could include you and definitely all others. I'm serious about this....this unit is not that complicated! I'll say it gain, this unit is very user friendly.
Feel comfortable ordering it and reaching out to Bob, Doc or even myself if you need assistance. I'm not a tuning specialist, I just follow my own advice! If I say that you should educate yourself on what you have purchased and plan on installing, I do just that. Trust me, I have seen your posts to Bob, Mike and Marriane from FTS about not being able to purchase one via there website...I had already preordered mine, but was happy to see another MKIII brother stepping up!

I guess the problem is that Im too much of a team player and when I don't see the team reacting as hungry as myself, I tend to get dissappointed! Heck, I already bought mine, so there is no special discount or hook up coming to me for pushing the product. I'm just a Supra lover who would like to see the whole community benefit from a good product! And from a professional stand point, I understand the importance of the need for consumer support of a particular product, if said product is expected to survive in the marketplace.
Enough said....HAPPY SHOPPING!