Let me see your trunks!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
this set up is nearly done, I still need to shorten the wires, raise up the hinge points about 1/2", but I was going for a sneaky set up that does not interrupt the functionality of the trunk..

15991950_large.jpg

Syran wrap ruins the photo, but its re-wrapped in faux leather top/bottom

15991953_large.jpg

Nissan Murano sub/enclosure, I tried the FX45 set up with 2 subs (6"?) but it sat another 1.5" higher than the top edge of the tire thereby raising the false floor too high.. I had to shorten the spare tire nut/stand, but the nissan bolt threads match... that is a full sized spare 255/40/17 - 17"X9"

15991959_large.jpg

here you can see that I have used 2 targa braces and hacked them together to get what I wanted, I used some Wellington perf for ventilation and ease of workability...
front edge was raised about 1-1/2" to fit the amps

15991956_large.jpg

fuses in a slightly accessable location/velcro secured, ..... can you see the muffin fans? 2.5" X 2 - not sure if I want to use a small cap to run these for a few minutes after shut off or just a relay/power...

15991955_large.jpg

600A kintetik secondary battery, in a custom little box, secured into the quarter with some M6X1 bolts, minor interior trim required

15991960_large.jpg

whats under neath... PDX4 + PDX5, this leaves 2 front channels available for further expansion...

this is an 87... I have updated to 92 audio specs (with the exception of the factory sub) I found 89 rear 4" brackets in a yard, and the 6.5" fronts and burgandy grills here..

a lot of this was inspired out of this thread and thought towards functionality...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Nissan Murano sub/enclosure, I tried the FX45 set up with 2 subs (6"?) but it sat another 1.5" higher than the top edge of the tire thereby raising the false floor too high.. I had to shorten the spare tire nut/stand, but the nissan bolt threads match... that is a full sized spare 255/40/17 - 17"X9"

#04, this spare tire subwoofer is really interesting. How does it sound to you? Does it have a builtin amp? Do you have any further details on what mods you made to the Supra spare tire nut/mount hardware?

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
3p, I did something similar by removing the spare tire mount, pounding the floor a bit more flat, and flipping the spare upside down so I could store the emergency kit inside the wheel. A bit primitive, but the tire fit so snug that I didn't need to bolt it down. However, with a sub setup in there I'd probably have made an effort to secure things better.

Would also be curious what you did to keep things in place #04... you mentioned targa holders, but I didn't really notice them?

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
te72;1886308 said:
You don't have a trunk anymore Sside. :p

Bahaha right?!!! I was taking stuff off my car yesterday and in my mind I thought, well Ill do what I always do and put the parts I take off in my trunk/hatch.... When I got there I was :/ angry.... Had to find a new place for my parts :(...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
3p141592654;1886344 said:
#04, this spare tire subwoofer is really interesting. How does it sound to you? Does it have a builtin amp? Do you have any further details on what mods you made to the Supra spare tire nut/mount hardware?

never heard the Murano (1 sub) set - up, but in the FX45 (2 subs +amp) it definitely adds a nice touch to the low end. I think some may have an amp as an OEM upgrade but this did not. The FX45 that gave me the idea had a faulty amp.
the spare tire mount was shortened 1", and I used the Murano spare tire bolt - same thread/pitch. I did not need to 'adjust' the spare tire well shape for a 17X9+25

te72;1886357 said:
3p, I did something similar by removing the spare tire mount, pounding the floor a bit more flat, and flipping the spare upside down so I could store the emergency kit inside the wheel. A bit primitive, but the tire fit so snug that I didn't need to bolt it down. However, with a sub setup in there I'd probably have made an effort to secure things better.

Would also be curious what you did to keep things in place #04... you mentioned targa holders, but I didn't really notice them?

Pretty sure the targa holders go in after the trunk plastics, - I need to find my spare set as 1 is damaged. This IS one of my favorite features of this car, it allows me to make fun of GM t-tops 'bags'
both quarter plastics needed a little trim - drivers side - for power wire and battery, passenger side - for wire/amp clearence bottom 90 'adjusted'

the rear brace (that black thing) is held in with OEM self tapping screws, same as always but 3 new locations, amps got the same treatment (even though I hate self-tapping)

the battery has a welded up box complete with tabs and nuts; and bolts to the inner fender well/trunk pan pinch weld seam.... I pop riveted a strap to it - a fastener with a low profile should not wear into the battery

the muffin fans have a little cage that they are tie strapped to, for easy replacement upon failure.... the fuse block uses velcro - for easy access

for the 89 rear seat speakers - after drilling out the mounts and re-welding them to an 87, that is the speaker mount, the grill are 2 piece, a garnish and a rear mounting plate that is pop riveted to the panel to accept screw through the backside that secure the garnish..

{EDIT} without this thread I probably wouldn't have given the trunk as much thought, but the thread sparked my thought process.. hopefully these ideas grow further in someone elses' head..

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
Here is what my trunk looks like now-
p1886558_1.jpg

p1886558_2.jpg

I just need a little more fabric for the center section to create a flap to hid the oem hinge thingie

Thanks to this thread/ #04 I'm going to install a spare tire sub woofer once I find one for a decent price. I like that you can remove the woofer and tire to lighten up the back.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sside;1886398 said:
Bahaha right?!!! I was taking stuff off my car yesterday and in my mind I thought, well Ill do what I always do and put the parts I take off in my trunk/hatch.... When I got there I was :/ angry.... Had to find a new place for my parts :(...
I used my car to move most of my stuff to the house I bought. Took out the passenger seat, and surprisingly, even with the cage in the car, there was plenty of room to bring all but the biggest stuff (furniture/TV) in my Supra. They're surprisingly roomy...

#04;1886541 said:
Pretty sure the targa holders go in after the trunk plastics, - I need to find my spare set as 1 is damaged. This IS one of my favorite features of this car, it allows me to make fun of GM t-tops 'bags'

both quarter plastics needed a little trim - drivers side - for power wire and battery, passenger side - for wire/amp clearence bottom 90 'adjusted'

{EDIT} without this thread I probably wouldn't have given the trunk as much thought, but the thread sparked my thought process.. hopefully these ideas grow further in someone elses' head..
I see what you did with all that, I love a good clean install man. I've always done my best to hide all the wiring when installing car audio, to make it look like a factory install. So far so good, I have an idea in my head for the widebody that should turn out pretty good, and keep wiring lengths to a minimum. :)

As for the T-tops, on the 2001 SS I had, they fit nicely into a deep pocket/bracket in the trunk. Honestly, they were more convenient than the Mk3's targa setup... Start the car, flip two latches (one per side), pop the hatch, stow t-tops, and be on your way in a minute or less.

As to your point about this thread inspiring others, that's what it's here for! ;)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Would you happen to know if the Murano subwoofer fits in the stock MK3 temp spare ? Looks like you have a 17in spare in there now. The newer Murano sub with dual drivers is using a T165/90-D18 temp spare, which is quite a bit bigger than the MK3 spare. I went ahead and ordered an 06 Murano sub to experiment. Thanks for letting us know about it.

From what I can tell, the 2010 Murano/fx45 subwoofers all come with a built-in amp based on this thread that discusses a way to bypass the amp and use an external amp.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...proving-output-oem-bose-murano-subwoofer.html

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^give me until monday... I have 2 OEM steel spares...

te72;1886605 said:
As for the T-tops, on the 2001 SS I had, they fit nicely into a deep pocket/bracket in the trunk. Honestly, they were more convenient than the Mk3's targa setup... Start the car, flip two latches (one per side), pop the hatch, stow t-tops, and be on your way in a minute or less.

^yeah but the t-top option first appeared in what 1974? specifically I have a friend with a 1987 Monte Carlo LS t-roof (rare model/option/colour/year) that I hassle about his leather bags..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
#04;1886823 said:
^yeah but the t-top option first appeared in what 1974? specifically I have a friend with a 1987 Monte Carlo LS t-roof (rare model/option/colour/year) that I hassle about his leather bags..
Oh I see what you mean. In fairness, a buddy had a Z31 t-top, and I don't recall that car having anywhere to put them either. Frankly, the SS I had was probably the only one I've seen with a convenient place for the roof haha...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
3p141592654;1886678 said:
Would you happen to know if the Murano subwoofer fits in the stock MK3 temp spare ? Looks like you have a 17in spare in there now.

stock OEM 16" steel rim, the 2004 Murano subwoofer fits like it was supposed to be there..

this will still require a quick cut/reweld of the sapre tire mount -- in all likelyhood...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I pulled the subwoofer apart and have to agree with you, the speaker wires they used are equivalent to maybe #24 gauge wire!

How are people getting the signals from the head unit to the hatch area? I was thinking to route the wires under the rocker scuff plate.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Makes my sub look massive.. Its just the right size to fit right under the cargo cover and slide onto the rear seats. When they're folded down of course. :D