Stanmk3;1581364 said:
No time for stereo stuff :)

p1582083_1.jpg

Now thats my kind of trunk!

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you asked for it. alpine 8 ftw lol. this is from my old car that got stolen. my current car has no subs.

that box was a custom made box to fit behind the seat of my mr2 (aw11) and when the mr2 died i moved it to the supra. wasnt to bad sounding with the top off covering it, but sucked when the top was on the car.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
te72;1645568 said:
Targa gonna fit over that Dustin? Looks good otherwise. :)

Well of course. it was the battery box that was tricky.

FullNelson;1645692 said:
Any pictures of the guts?

Unfourtunately no, The sub has a 8''X12''X12'' box that is screwed on and sits in the wheel well as you can imagine, and the amp is under there as well. I know the box is small but it give just enough bass, plus the sub is a walmart special haha, that thing was pretty complicated as you have to make it in two parts then try to square up the line in the middle that is cut. Almost gave up but some tricky trimming got it right. It sits 5 inches above the flat part in the hatch.

Last edited:

diego

Jul 30, 2010
brussels
Brap;992833 said:
Hey there,

Some very nice set ups in this thread, i thought id throw mine in seeing as i finished it today... not as nice as some of those and im sure people will bag the components but keep in mind they do provide a bit more thump and quality than the dodgy 4" 's i had in the stock rear spots...

head unit is a sony bluetooth equipped unit, does what i need it to, fronts are pioneer 4" in stock location and my new rears are sony 6x9's i got on special for $30au.. bag away fellas but remember this was done on a tight budget and was only after a bit more bass and a larger sound range :) *flame suit on*

The set up:

Ok so i decided to replace the rears with some 6x9's, and i wanted to cover up the shabby looking rear carpet and ugly spare wheel hump in the hatch area... solution? parcel shelf.. i didnt have a 'boot blind' when i got the car so something to keep prying eyes from anything i may have in the hatch would be a bonus.. i also use the car to carry my bike/dog so what ever i came up with had to be somewhat removable...

this is the 'strut' that fits where the stock blind would mount and will provide the hinging point for the actual shelf
p1650661_1.jpg

the parcel shelf its self, note i constructed it of 2 pieces so a small amount of flex would be available for where the hatch hits the very end of the shelf.
p1650661_2.jpg

Got some medium grey carpet from bunnings to cover the shelf with, i decided grey would better suit the interior than black, make it look a bit more like it was meant to be there... glued the carpet on with the same adhesive they use to glue fake turf down.. so it should hold!

strut:
p1650661_3.jpg

Shelf:
p1650661_4.jpg

carpeted and trimmed strut and shelf.. automotive carpet can be trimmed and wont fray on the edges, i decided to cut it to shape as trying to fold it under would have been too bulky to work with, and when the hatch is closed you cant see the edges anyway
p1650661_5.jpg

p1650661_6.jpg

Strut installed:
As mentioned earlier it utilises the stock blind mounting point once the clips were removed and simply bolts to the vertical side of the stock rear speaker/strut cover (unscrewing the bolts allows easy removal)
p1650661_7.jpg

shelf mounted up and attached:
the self simply sits on the flat area of the speaker/strut cover and i have some rubber mounts screwed into the rear plastic trim for the back edges to rest on.. the shelf butts up to the strut bar and the hinges screw down into the shelf, the shelf is then removable by undoing the hinge screws on the shelf side
p1650661_8.jpg

There is 3 hinges along the join, stainless steel hinges cleaned and painted black to blend in a bit better, i also coated the mounting screws:
p1650661_9.jpg

speakers in:
i extended the existing speaker wires and routed them through a hole under the speaker and into the hatch area, these can be threaded back up into the trim for when the shelf isnt in use.
p1650661_10.jpg

view through the back window:
with the hatch closed you cant see the edges of the shelf and it gives it a nice OEM look, the mounting at the strut end, and the pressure of the hatch at the back keep it locked down and avoid any rattles or bouncing whilst in transit:
p1650661_11.jpg

In order to gain access to the boot (trunk for you yankie doodles) when the hatch is up i need set up like standard hatch backs have... at the moment its a bit ghetto as im using left over speaker wire to form a loop that hooks onto the stock blind hooks, they run through the shelf and i have attached old sockets to the ends of the cable to add weight so that when closed the pull back down and stop the loops from being visible and tangling in the closing mechanism. in time i will get some stocky loops from a hatch back and a better weighting system.
p1650661_12.jpg

The sound compared to what i did have is extremely good.. a bit too bassy as i havent played with my settings yet..

wow, im pooped after all that, sorry for the big post but i guess if anyone was looking to go down this path it gives a half decent run through

Cheers!

Awsome setup man!!!!!! i was looking to do something similar but yours really inspired me!!!!

ahmedootie

Camel Jockey
May 16, 2005
Vernon Hills, IL
I would like to resurrect this thread. Finally took the plunge an got a double din, a sub and amp. I would like a nice setup that will work with my cage, so I'm looking for more inspiration. Anything new in the last two years?? <3
Thanks Supramania!

Warlock1

Mar 13, 2012
Surprise, AZ
Here was my set up. Amp was mounted under the stock wood deck to the right side of the spare. Both subs were mounted in the box between the rear suspension mounts. It pounded with the subs pointing back at the glass.

Attachments

• picture 023.jpg
    picture 023.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 205

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Here's my setup

Nothing too crazy but functional. Im running 2 Jensen amps, a 4 channel 720 for the highs and mids, a mono 650 for the subs, and a capacitor to eliminate the dimming of the lights when the bass hits. The targa fits with the box and i kept my spare. I built the box so it can be taken out to access the spare or to shed some weight before race day. Enjoy

IM000927.jpgIM000928.jpgIM000930.jpgIM000931.jpgIM000932.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Not sure If I want to be adding more weight into my supra but here is my setup in my 1980 vauxhall chevette, sorry for going off topic but may give a few ideas.

Soundstream 1400 watt amp running 900 watt sub
Pioneer 280 watt amp running 2x Soundstream 6x9s in rear door cards
All running off a large battery in the boot from a truck
Car fully dynamat

p1846357_1.jpg

p1846357_2.jpg

Dec 31, 2010
IL
You have no idea how much that means, it was a lot of work/wiring/thinking to start from scratch, I know it doesn't look hard at all, but somehow it was! The meth is root beer scented, and it now has a T76 and 100 psi more on the meth pump! After Anti-Lag is wired, I'll post a vid in the, well, vid section. Thanks again.